Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default It's hard to believe it...but yes, the blue plates are still out there today!

Well, something unusual struck me out today...I now know that there are at least two vehicles that still have the old Superior Blue plate as the only plate, even after two major plate changes!

Just today, I saw a Superior Blue disabled plate on a rusted-out 1980's car parked behind a security fence [[with a more recent green December expiration tag) and a Superior Blue municipal plate on a street sweeper. I don't know why the sweeper still had that plate, but the rusted-out car probably still had one because it was being used by a school's auto shop class.

It was certainly extraordinary to see vehicles still with a touch of Superior Blue this close to 2014. Below is why this thread exists. Plus, I wonder if the Wyandotte Police Department ever bothered writing an expired plate ticket to that sweeper, but I doubt so because it's also city-owned property...

Last edited by mtburb; November-15-13 at 07:22 PM.

St. Clair Shores police still have several blue plates on marked scout cars. Makes you wonder how many expired plate tickets they are writing ....

If I remember correctly there's a way to reuse otherwise outdated plates on cars that are considered vintage or collectible. I know I have seen old 50's and 60's cars with period plates. If that's the case then I guess if someone really wanted to they could put a blue plate on their 86' Chevette.

I miss my blue plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    If I remember correctly there's a way to reuse otherwise outdated plates on cars that are considered vintage or collectible. I know I have seen old 50's and 60's cars with period plates.
    Yes, you can do that and a lot of car collectors use what is called “Year-of-Manufacture” plates. But, there are numerous restrictions:

• 26 or more years old -- based on vehicle model year subtracted from current calendar year
    • Owned solely as a collector’s item [[not your daily driver!)
    • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.

• The plate must display the correct colors for the plate year.
    • Reproduction or remanufactured plates are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Yes, you can do that and a lot of car collectors use what is called “Year-of-Manufacture” plates. But, there are numerous restrictions:

• 26 or more years old -- based on vehicle model year subtracted from current calendar year
    • Owned solely as a collector’s item [[not your daily driver!)
    • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.

• The plate must display the correct colors for the plate year.
    • Reproduction or remanufactured plates are not allowed.
    Yup. Have them on my 3 old motorcycles.

Learned this morning about a great thing Illinois has done. For about $20 a year more than the very cheap, events only historical plate [[as described above), you can get a limited use historical plate instead. This plate allows you to drive your classic car as much as you want from April 1 through October 31, and then the rest of the year it is restricted to going to classic car events or getting service done.

Municipal "X" plates have no year or expiration. They are fee free.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Learned this morning about a great thing Illinois has done. For about $20 a year more than the very cheap, events only historical plate [[as described above), you can get a limited use historical plate instead. This plate allows you to drive your classic car as much as you want from April 1 through October 31, and then the rest of the year it is restricted to going to classic car events or getting service done.
    They got something like that around here if your car is over 20 years old. It give the police an excuse to stop you if they feel like it. You do save on plate fees though.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They got something like that around here if your car is over 20 years old. It give the police an excuse to stop you if they feel like it. You do save on plate fees though.
    Yes, that is the regular historical plate detailed earlier in the thread. Illinois has it as well. They now also have a second plate where from April 1 to October 31, you can drive your classic car all you want for any reason, but the rest of the year you can get stopped whenever the cops feel like it. It only costs about $21 more per year than the original historic plate, but makes a classic car much more usable by having the good weather months free for any purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Municipal "X" plates have no year or expiration. They are fee free.
    True, but the SOS made all blue municipal plate invalid at the same time the rest of the blue plates went away.