Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Grosse Pointe: Another suburban police department showing their ass

Looks like the videos have already been scrubbed.

I guess the department was getting jealous of the Macomb County Sheriff.

Captain Loch sounds like real excrement. Immediately willing dismiss his underlings racist behavior until confronted with undeniable proof, probably to avoid any lawsuits.

I've seen the sentiment expressed before but I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I've never been more optimistic or enthusiastic about the city of Detroit.

"Southeast Michigan" and the rest of the state? The same abortion clinic fire it's always been.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/1...-black-people/

That the way they are in the 5 Richvilles. Don't cross Mack Ave. and Alter Rd. or face the GP police. The Five Grosse Pointes have been keeping Blacks and other non-whites from buying those mansions for over 100 years. It was built for rich white folks only. What a prime example of urban demarcation without the concrete wall to separate rich the poor, white and black.

By the way, have you all seen what those folks did to block Kercheval St. from Alter Rd? From the Detroit-Grosse Pointe Park border. It's really happening! Just like the Berlin Wall.

This is something we've discussed before: Institutional racism. It's ugly and it's stubborn and it's a reality. It doesn't matter if the individual homeowners are not racists. If the police department they fund is racist, then the residents are all funding an institution of white power. It doesn't matter if individual homeowners are even opposed to this sort of misbehavior, the institution will do its work and cover its own ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This is something we've discussed before: Institutional racism. It's ugly and it's stubborn and it's a reality. It doesn't matter if the individual homeowners are not racists. If the police department they fund is racist, then the residents are all funding an institution of white power. It doesn't matter if individual homeowners are even opposed to this sort of misbehavior, the institution will do its work and cover its own ass.
    @ Detrotinerd. very well said

The acts of one person are hardly an indication of institutional racism.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post

GP for life, You're living inside Richville. Do you see what happens when certain main roads and neighborhood streets are blocked off from Alter Rd. to Mack Ave. Do you see 5 richvilles don't want to see a all Black and blighted Detroit ghettohood next door. Long time ago Five Grosse Pointes streets from Alter Rd. and Mack Ave. were open and free. people from Detroit and Grosse Pointes and walk to and from block by block and visit and shop in those areas. Now its like 8 Mile Rd.-Wyoming St. 5ft concrete wall that stood behind Mendota St. That is the sign of demarcation and institutional racism in action. I thought America had learn from its history long ago. Now we get to see it all over again, just like 1955 to 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

GP for life, You're living inside Richville. Do you see what happens when certain main roads and neighborhood streets are blocked off from Alter Rd. to Mack Ave. Do you see 5 richvilles don't want to see a all Black and blighted Detroit ghettohood next door. Long time ago Five Grosse Pointes streets from Alter Rd. and Mack Ave. were open and free. people from Detroit and Grosse Pointes and walk to and from block by block and visit and shop in those areas. Now its like 8 Mile Rd.-Wyoming St. 5ft concrete wall that stood behind Mendota St. That is the sign of demarcation and institutional racism in action. I thought America had learn from its history long ago. Now we get to see it all over again, just like 1955 to 1965.
    Oh Danny Boy, the streets were open, then the riots happened and we had the XVIII Airborne Corp parachute into our backyards to quell the uprising.

Today, GP is changing the layout of one of its commercial districts to better facilitate a walking community. We happen to care about the health of our populace. Sorry if you see that as "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    Oh, sure. Just one rotten apple. That's a common refrain from people who'd rather not examine institutional racism.

The fact is, these sorts of things are allowed to go on because nobody in the workplace will challenge the institutional racism. If somebody does -- if an officer of color files a complaint, if an individual makes a complaint -- all of a sudden it's sour grapes and people unfairly judging a police force by the actions of one or two "bad apples."

So I'm going to give your comment all the credence it deserves, thankyouverymuch.

The racist comments made by any police officer are ofcourse not acceptible, one should note however that there is a increasing amount of diversity in the GPointes.. finally,, but lets not call it " richville", that petty , jealous, and accomplishes nothing,, I dont think I as a Detroiter would want to be attached to any slang either...Interesting dilemma here,,, so let each one of us put ourselves in this scenario..regardless of color, age, gender etc,, lets say you live in a safe area, homes are kept well, crime is fairly low,, across the way is an area that is over run by crime, shooting, break ins, and all those lovely things that most people dont care to be around.. What does one do, ? What do you favor? open up your area so the crime element can easily access your home area, which would most likely put you and your loved ones at increased risk or block it to keep as much as you can away?? Just wondered..?? I dont care if you are white, black, brown, or yellow,, lets talk conditions, What should one do? This is just an open ended question, What would you do or prefer to see? Increased police protection, or what ?? Large parts of Florida and California seem to think gated communites are the answer. Its a very difficult situation.

What folks need to understand is that Big Brother is watching, and even watching himself.

Thus, the irony . . . .. . . . . .

That comment seems sort of mean. I have been a victim of black rapists and I don't support racism/sexism in any way shape or form. I actually pitied the predators. They come in all sizes,ages,colors and communities. I don't support rogue cops in any community. Please do not imply that folk look the other way!

That the way they are in the 5 Richvilles. Don't cross Mack Ave. and Alter Rd. or face the GP police. The Five Grosse Pointes have been keeping Blacks and other non-whites from buying those mansions for over 100 years. It was built for rich white folks only. What a prime example of urban demarcation without the concrete wall to separate rich the poor, white and black.

By the way, have you all seen what those folks did to block Kercheval St. from Alter Rd? From the Detroit-Grosse Pointe Park border. It's really happening! Just like the Berlin Wall.
    I love how you race hustlers single out GP but didn't Palmer Woods close off entrances into the neighborhood and they have private security that follows strange cars around? God forbid they protect their neighborhoods and homes from becoming an extension of the burnt out blocks of Detroit. If GP didn't practice these measures it would have been overrun 30 years ago. Can you imagine all of those irreplaceable mansions being in despair? It would be tragic.

It's the GP police, duh Everybody who lives in and around GP already knew this, and if you didn't it's either because you're either too racist yourself to notice it, are a racism denier [[are these the same thing?), or have been lucky enough in life to never witness it.

Even if the officers, the person reporting the crime, and the person who committed the crime are all white, don't be surprised of the cops manage to slip a snide racist remark in there somewhere. Many of them actually do believe that the people of GP are as racist as they are [[and sorry folks, there's still a lot of racism in GP) and won't think to keep their comments to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    I love how you race hustlers single out GP but didn't Palmer Woods close off entrances into the neighborhood and they have private security that follows strange cars around? God forbid they protect their neighborhoods and homes from becoming an extension of the burnt out blocks of Detroit. If GP didn't practice these measures it would have been overrun 30 years ago. Can you imagine all of those irreplaceable mansions being in despair? It would be tragic.
    No one is suggesting that the Pointes shouldn't have police, and I'm pretty sure that the private security patrols in Palmer Woods don't target non-whites, since that would be kind of silly given the composition of the area, so I don't see how the existence of those patrols is relevant. However, I agree that there can be perfectly good reasons for putting up physical barriers that don't involve racism. Even if barriers are put up explicitly to make entrance/exit by ne'er-do-wells in neighboring areas more difficult [[which I don't think the people of either Palmer Woods or the Pointes would concede), I don't see that as necessarily racist--it would depend on the particular facts. But the behavior described in the referenced article, if accurate, is simply outside the bounds of acceptable behavior, and to the extent it has been permitted by the people or governments of the Pointes, it is to their extreme discredit. Doesn't actually speak well of the human race, for that matter.

Danny it is not that 'walled' off... I have worked in that area for years and enjoyed lunch, dinner, summer concerts etc. in the Points often. Is it pure racism that people want to retain a lifestyle without the drama of frequent break-ins and car-jackings which are going on the other side of Alter with impunity daily?

Palmer Woods has blocked off some areas. I don't blame them. And there are more black people living in the Pointes who made a choice to leave Detroit. I don't judge people by default for their 'riches'.... it is relative to some extent. If the car-jacker chooses me for my particular 'riches', ala my nice used car and old laptop, where the difference? I am a victim too!!! Probably by the same perpetrator committing crimes the 'burbs'...

I know the GP police can be 'snarky' so I avoid contact with them, and they are strict about traffic enforcement thru those areas. The speed sign says 35 mph. They mean 34 mph!! A dead giveaway is someone speeding say 36 mph pulled over by the GP rollers. They don't know the strict traffic enforcement 'deal'... most eastsiders, or visitors over there know.

GP for life, You're living inside Richville. Do you see what happens when certain main roads and neighborhood streets are blocked off from Alter Rd. to Mack Ave. Do you see 5 richvilles don't want to see a all Black and blighted Detroit ghettohood next door.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-16-13 at 06:30 AM.

I'd like to observe that literally all the men I see on the street "showing their ass" are Black men. And too much of it. Leads to ridicule.Unfortunate choice of title.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Danny it is not that 'walled' off... I have worked in that area for years and enjoyed lunch, dinner, summer concerts etc. in the Points often. Is it pure racism that people want to retain a lifestyle without the drama of frequent break-ins and car-jackings which are going on the other side of Alter with impunity daily?

I know the GP police can be 'snarky' so I avoid contact with them, and they are strict about traffic enforcement thru those areas. The speed sign says 35 mph. They mean 34 mph!! A dead giveaway is someone speeding say 36 mph pulled over by the GP rollers. They don't know the strict traffic enforcement 'deal'... most eastsiders, or visitors over there know.
    The barricades on Kercheval St. and Alter Rd. is there. That's a walled-off to me.

^^^ Yeah Danny, I hear you, but not walled off like Birwood back in the day. More like Palmer Park adaptations: limited access. In a way I still don't blame GP. I've worked in that area and there are areas along the GP borders that drop off into very bad areas of Detroit, without any form of a 'buffer'. I've seen it personally; shopping, dining in the Pointes - back across the border - you see the stark contrast. Areas you've described in vivid detail in other posts.

There are opportunistic and other crime issues here and in areas of Detroit where the world view of some folks persist in the 'OPP' [[other peoples property) mode. Taking 'other people property', that is.

Some communities in the city and border suburbs are responding with push back, ala cutting off streets, private security fleets, etc. You work hard for what you have and you want to keep it. And some robbers don't just want your materialism, they may want more.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-17-13 at 12:47 PM.

I'm not sure Danny is right about Kercheval being closed off...that was somebody's PLAN discussed earlier this year, but it hasn't come to fruit. Nor do most of us expect it, or WANT it.

There are a few closed off streets heading towards Alter, but they have no corresponding connections in Detroit. St. Paul does not continue between Alter and the factory.

Hell, that factory closed off more streets than Grosse Point Park ever did...isolating that section of the city from the rest.

So, there's that. No through streets closed off in GPP, as far as I know.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-17-13 at 01:54 PM.

Kercheval IS currently closed between Alter and Wayburn. One of the two water feeds from Detroit Water and Sewerage to GPP is located at this location. Detroit dug and installed a new meter pit several years ago and abandon the old pit in place. The old pit is now collapsing and is being removed. It appears there is some work Detroit must do before the pit can be compete removed and filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm not sure Danny is right about Kercheval being closed off...that was somebody's PLAN discussed earlier this year, but it hasn't come to fruit. Nor do most of us expect it, or WANT it.

There are a few closed off streets heading towards Alter, but they have no corresponding connections in Detroit. St. Paul does not continue between Alter and the factory.

Hell, that factory closed off more streets than Grosse Point Park ever did...isolating that section of the city from the rest.

So, there's that. No through streets closed off in GPP, as far as I know.

Cheers

Kercheval St. is definitely cut off from Alter Rd. I've seen it. So is Essex St. and Korte St. For it's a sign of demarcation from Richville Grosse Pointe Park and Poor Black Detroit.
    Last edited by Danny; November-17-13 at 04:24 PM.

This is Grosse Pointes tax dollars doing the talking. They want a safe city such as they were years ago when the people on the other side of the tracks were too afraid to hang out in the pointes with the exception of those few housekeepers. Detroit need to clean its own neighborhoods so detroiters dont have to sucumb to racist attitudes

Kercheval is not permanently closed off at all. Silly shit, Danny, this is one of your worst.

http://grossepointe.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/wayburn-kercheval-intersection-to-get-new-look-in-grosse-pointe-park

My comment still stands, there are NO through streets closed off in GPP. Not permanently, Kercheval is only temporarily blocked during the construction of this new traffic 'feature'.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-18-13 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radioron View Post
    Kercheval IS currently closed between Alter and Wayburn. One of the two water feeds from Detroit Water and Sewerage to GPP is located at this location. Detroit dug and installed a new meter pit several years ago and abandon the old pit in place. The old pit is now collapsing and is being removed. It appears there is some work Detroit must do before the pit can be compete removed and filled in.

I just saw this, RadioRon...thanks. I wonder if Bobby Ferguson's firm had anything to do with the shoddy work?! I looked at the road behind the barrier a moment ago and didn't see anything sinking...

Kercheval St. is definitely cut off from Alter Rd. I've seen it. So is Essex St. and Korte St. For it's a sign of demarcation from Richville Grosse Pointe Park and Poor Black Detroit.

Please get out of the pool immediately. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There is clearly underground construction going on. My advice get your facts straight before you start crying wolf.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast