Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default obama auto glass and electric?

WTF?!

so im feeling a bit nostalgic and am watching the Brady Bunch with my daughter on WADL...

a commercial comes on for Obama Auto Glass and Electric. they show a couple of guys replacing windshields and working on sheetmetal. they say they are formerly Anderson [[i think) Glass and have been serving the detroit area for 15 years...

jeeez oh pete....

19541 Grand River Ave

in case anyone wants to get a presidential stimulus $25 stone chip repair in their windshield...

This use of Obama's name disgusts me. I rode past that place on Grand River and I shook my head. I know the man is great and people like him but that does not mean I am going to patronize you because you have Obama's name on the front of your building. If I was the President, I would put a cease and desist on anyone using my name or logo for profit. That includes that gas station on Wyoming that is decked out in Obama colors.

I voted for President Obama but that does not mean I'm suppose to support you because you have his name on your business.

I don't understand the problem here. If the name of a business bothers you to the point that you won't frequent the place then DON'T PATRONIZE THE BUSINESS...that is your choice in our free enterprise system. It reminds me of when Young's Bar on 6 Mile across from Sinai hospital changed its name to Archer's Bar after Coleman left office.

Lorax Guest

Obama is one of those presidents, like FDR and JFK where you would find framed head shots of them hanging in people's living rooms and offices. It's the historical and transformative nature of a president that enlighten peoples lives, and they want to express it. I have no problem with it.

Wanna see something REALLY creepy? http://chiaobama.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    I don't understand the problem here. If the name of a business bothers you to the point that you won't frequent the place then DON'T PATRONIZE THE BUSINESS...that is your choice in our free enterprise system. It reminds me of when Young's Bar on 6 Mile across from Sinai hospital changed its name to Archer's Bar after Coleman left office.
    I think you misunderstood me.

This isn't about free enterprise or patronizing a business. It is said business using a known name to profit on. These businesses who uses Obama's name isn't sending one dollar to him for the money they making because people are so in love with Obama. Think of it like this: if I was to open a pizza shop and called it Ilitch's Hot Pies one of two things is going to happen. Either I get a letter from Ilitch Holdings telling me that I will be sending them a check every month for using the name Ilitch or I will be getting a cease and desist letter telling me to stop using the name Ilitch. Using Obama's name is not to honor him, but to get Obama lovers to their front door.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Obama is one of those presidents, like FDR and JFK where you would find framed head shots of them hanging in people's living rooms and offices. It's the historical and transformative nature of a president that enlighten peoples lives, and they want to express it. I have no problem with it.
    I have no problem with people having head shots of the President. If the next high school built in Detroit is called Barack Hussein Obama High, I would love it. But if I was President Obama and I knew people are using my name to sell their businesses and I am not getting paid for it, I am not happy.

MIRepublic Guest

The president's office has said on numerous occasions that he is against his name and likeness being used for commercial purposes. There is really little his office can do that would be beneficial to him in any way. He could wastes tax dollars suing his fans [[not the difference between a fan and a supporter) with the added consequence of losing support.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    The president's office has said on numerous occasions that he is against his name and likeness being used for commercial purposes. There is really little his office can do that would be beneficial to him in any way. He could wastes tax dollars suing his fans [[not the difference between a fan and a supporter) with the added consequence of losing support.
    No, I don't expect the President to fight these exploiters but it isn't right. Take the Obama gas station on Wyoming off Plymouth. The owner spent a lot of money to transform his gas station from your average gas station to an OBAMA gas station with the logo and the colors. He didn't do that as a fan of Barack Obama. He did it so he could attract all the Obama lovers to his gas station and on cue the fans will buy gas, lotteries and coffee. His gas is no different from everyone else's gas but it is OBAMA GAS.

MIRepublic Guest

I'm not defending the commercialization of his image in the least. I find it tacky at the very least, and would shun any business so cynical and cheesy as to think they could manipulate a customer like that. That said, at the end of the day, you're just complaining about it. I'm not sure what you want the forum to discuss. It's tacky, distateful, and insults the intelligence of anyone that has any, and that's about the end of the discussion. I mean, these things are called "2-minute Hates" for a reason. lol
    Last edited by MIRepublic; July-16-09 at 11:00 PM.

R8RBOB,,,thanks for your clarification.
    MIRepublic...thanks for expressing better what I was trying to say. I agree.

Barack Obama is a black man that ran for president in a right time and a right century. If he ran during the civil rights era, he will lose. Now he is our nation's first black President and his name and legacy will be in every last world history book on Earth. As for using his name in every American retail business it would be good thing in order to boost capital. His name not only going to be a free entreprise markets but in schools, counties and city streets. Monuments will be built for him and maybe his face will be with other 4 presidents on Mount Rushmore.

the place is on the corner of grand river and auburn, just a block or two from where detour grew up. it was for many many years [[as long as detour can remember), HENDERSON glass. Henderson closed this location and [[I'm told) a former employee kept it going. using obama in this way is not as offensive to me as the WAY in which it is being used in the signage on the building. it looks like a real hack job. i hope the business does well so they can hire a competent sign maker. bleah.

There's also an Obama Pharmacy on 8 Mile somewhere, can't remember exactly where. I'm sure conservatives think the place is full of expensive placebos.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Funaho.....got me one of those Obama Chia Pets. When the Chia is going to get a little longer, I'm going to tie a bandana around his head and tell everyone who comes in contact with it that it is really Jimi Hendrix.

The only time anyone will take my JFK- Martin Luther King tapestry and Velvet Elvis away from me is when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

2blocksaway Guest

The only thing I can think of when I see businesses changing their names to Obama This and Obama That is Ghetto.

Same with people running around with Obama hats and shirts. It's crazy.

The people who buy hats and shirts like that as well as the people who now patronize those businesses who changed their names, do so only because Obama is black and they are ignorant to anything else about him.

The good news is he still has a long way to go before he is worse than Bush.

Sludgedaddy Guest

2blocks...you'll know when Obama merchandising has gone truly ghetto when Obama Potato Chips come on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    2blocks...you'll know when Obama merchandising has gone truly ghetto when Obama Potato Chips come on the market.
    Comin' soon to your neighborhood Arab party store, Obama Potato Chips. We got Tangy BBQ, Red F'n Hot, and Salty Salt and Vinegar Po'tato Chips

President Obama is nothing more than a prop which is sad because he is the President of the United States. There has to be some respect for the title but there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    The people who buy hats and shirts like that...do so only because Obama is black and they are ignorant to anything else about him.
    Dang...gotta tell some folks to stop wearing the Obama shirts, stop being so politically aware and active, and start voting out of ignorance instead of understanding of the issues.

Don't they know that they're messing up generalizations?

2blocksaway Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alsodave View Post
    Dang...gotta tell some folks to stop wearing the Obama shirts, stop being so politically aware and active, and start voting out of ignorance instead of understanding of the issues.

Don't they know that they're messing up generalizations?

Dang Dave, do you really think the guy who bought his shirt from the store he gets loosies and 40s is politically aware and active.

Maybe they all got them from the place selling R.I.P. and family reunion shirts with signs at every off ramp

They are called generalizations because they are generally true.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Comin' soon to your neighborhood Arab party store, Obama Potato Chips. We got Tangy BBQ, Red F'n Hot, and Salty Salt and Vinegar Po'tato Chips

President Obama is nothing more than a prop which is sad because he is the President of the United States. There has to be some respect for the title but there isn't.
    I agree , LOL don't you just love livin in the hood !

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    Dang Dave, do you really think the guy who bought his shirt from the store he gets loosies and 40s is politically aware and active.

Maybe they all got them from the place selling R.I.P. and family reunion shirts with signs at every off ramp

They are called generalizations because they are generally true.
    Boy howdy, don't need my codespeak decoder ring to figure out this message.

I think that generalizations are safe havens for the ignorant.

Sorry, but this 62-year old white male still wears his Obama shirts from time to time. It pisses off my Republican friends.

Default Different Perspective

Hello all! I am the daughter of the owner for Obama Auto Glass; Tiffany. I respect your opinion; which you are entitled to. However, my father did not use the name Obama simply just to get customers through the door. He did it because he was proud that A BLACK MAN was finally able to hold such a position in the White House. Please be aware that this is our 3rd family owned business and we already have a well established source of clientele. Therefore, the name was not chosen in order to receive patronage. Instead, it was used to honor how far America has come throughout the years of history. Thank you for your comments and God bless!

Quote Originally Posted by toneal4 View Post
    He did it because he was proud that A BLACK MAN was finally able to hold such a position in the White House.
    As opposed to say, a wealthy Dutchman?
    http://www.motorbase.com/profiles/ve...7;p=1615586588
    This was made by a friend's family. The company still went belly-up a year or 2 later, despite programs like WPA-the original "stimulus"

No not as opposed to say a wealthy Dutchman. No one ever thought this county would come this far. Dont be oblivious to the world wide coverage that was made when he became President. IT IS A BIG DEAL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast