Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Belle Isle: State approves 30-year lease making island a state park

Two different versions of the story, the 1st seems better [[more details)

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ease_stat.html

http://www.freep.com/article/2013111...ease-proposals

Get's 6 million dollars in the cities hands per year. Sounds good to me.

Now the new Belle Isle Metropark will be rehabbed;from mowing the lawn to fixing up public toilets. [[With the $11.00 a year parking fee) Let's see if they can bring back the animals and re-open the Belle Isle Zoo.

If any forum members want to do the D-YES Picnic on Memorial Day 2014 bring our some cash. Belle Isle venues are NOT going to be free.

Snyder's plan to conquer Detroit is at hand BOO AH HAHAHAAH!

I am sure this will be as big a failure as the transfer of another city "jewel" - Cobo Center. Oops, no, that is working quite well...

Finally this state gem will be back in the hands of the adults.
    Last edited by artds; November-13-13 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now the new Belle Isle Metropark will be rehabbed;from mowing the lawn to fixing up public toilets. [[With the $11.00 a year parking fee) Let's see if they can bring back the animals and re-open the Belle Isle Zoo.

If any forum members want to do the D-YES Picnic on Memorial Day 2014 bring our some cash. Belle Isle venues are NOT going to be free.

Metroparks are not State Parks. I have often wondered why Detroit has not screamed more about the $100's of millions of dollars in millages it has given the Metroparks since 1940 when they are all on the fringe of the region.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Metroparks are not State Parks. I have often wondered why Detroit has not screamed more about the $100's of millions of dollars in millages it has given the Metroparks since 1940 when they are all on the fringe of the region.
    Now THAT is a good question. Detroit residents, and inner ring suburban residents, pay for the Metroparks, but many of them are a half hour or more drive from any location. Really wonder why Belle Isle was never considered for the system.

Back in the '70s there was a plan to make Belle Isle a Metropark, but the city rejected the idea.

3 years, Belle Isle will be a beautiful, manicured ACTUAL JEWEL that city and suburban residents will be able to enjoy the way it was intended. Families will play baseball, people will canoe and walk trails, the Detroit Grand Prix will not be the only major event on the island. People will flock to the park and be proud of how it is kept and admire the beauty of it's natural scenery.

Meanwhile, JoAnn Watson will be staging sit-ins with local pastors at the foot of the bridge screaming "The State has not fulfilled its full promise and has raped our beautiful park and laid the land barren."

"Get's 6 million dollars in the cities hands per year. Sounds good to me."

Yet many folks around here claimed that 6 million was chump change when it was suggested that the Charles Wright take a hair cut [[they get 6 million from the CoD).

Just being able to kayak the canals without threat of having a park bench dumped on your head as you go under a bridge will be a big move forward. I hope they employ a large group of young folks [[18-21 or so) as "park rangers" in orange shirts with bicycles [[or segways) and radios/telephones but with no authority other than to call the park police.

In the last year or so, since I moved to Detroit, I have heard folks go on and on about the State "take-over" of Belle Isle. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about. My hometown city owns a large parcel of prime lakefront property, very similar to Belle Isle. Originally, it was managed by the city. Then, in the early 90's, it was leased to the State and run as a state park. For a long time that worked quite well, although the last couple years a slim State budget has meant that the upkeep hasn't been top notch. So last year, when the lease was up, the city transferred management to the county-run Metroparks. In each case, the transfer was contracted without any hoopla -- no accusations, recriminations, or choruses of "Onward Xtian Soldiers." And, of course, the legal ownership of the park remained in the hands of the city . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Of course, one difference to note is that in Ohio, neither the State parks, nor any of the county or municipal metroparks, charge an admission fee; I confess I find the fact that so many parks in Michigan DO charge one kind of weird and -- especially in the case of the H-C and Oakland Co. metropark systems -- rather exclusionary.

I'm sure the animals will want to come back as soon as they find out the State's running it. And somehow I don't think Snyder has a plan to conquer Detroit; I'm certain he'd much prefer to cede it to anybody that will take it; Belle Isle an' all.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveBill View Post
    Of course, one difference to note is that in Ohio, neither the State parks, nor any of the county or municipal metroparks, charge an admission fee; I confess I find the fact that so many parks in Michigan DO charge one kind of weird and -- especially in the case of the H-C and Oakland Co. metropark systems -- rather exclusionary.
    Well here in Michigan with over 3,000 miles of Great Lakes frontage, our parts are often used by out of state folks. So having a pay-to-use system makes some sense. It's almost like the Ohio Turnkpike charges... [[Michigan has zero toll roads)... many of the folks that use the Ohio Turnpike are crossing on thru your state, so they too pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well here in Michigan with over 3,000 miles of Great Lakes frontage, our parts are often used by out of state folks. So having a pay-to-use system makes some sense. It's almost like the Ohio Turnkpike charges... [[Michigan has zero toll roads)... many of the folks that use the Ohio Turnpike are crossing on thru your state, so they too pay for that.
    Yes, I'll concede that many out-of-staters will drive hundreds of miles to visit Saugatuck, Luddington, or the Porcupine Mountains State Parks; Kensington metropark [[as beautiful as it is), not so likely. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . In any case, I realize that Michigan is in majority, as most states do charge park admission.

Detroit took the lead in establishing the metroparks. Knowing that they did not have the land on which the dense urban proles could hike and play, they wanted some parks away from the city so that the citizens could properly rusticate [[note that Camp Dearborn is not in Dearborn). It was only when all of the bucolic farms were replaced by subdivisions and shopping malls that Detroiters objected to funding those parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Or, to avoid the tolls, they chew up I-94

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I'm sure the animals will want to come back as soon as they find out the State's running it. And somehow I don't think Snyder has a plan to conquer Detroit; I'm certain he'd much prefer to cede it to anybody that will take it; Belle Isle an' all.
    Snyder already conquer Detroit and he hired Kevyn Orr to be his puppet EM Mayor of Detroit. Just as Romans conquered Judea and Caesar Augustus appointed Herod to be King of the Jews.

His Belle Isle State Park plan will make the island park beautiful since the 1900s. We might have canoeing down the canals back again.
    Last edited by Danny; November-14-13 at 04:09 PM.

Snyder already conquer Detroit and he hired Kevyn Orr to be his puppet EM Mayor of Detroit. Just as Romans conquered Judea and Caesar Augustus appointed Herod to be King of the Jews.
    I like your analogy Danny, and I will always now think of Snyder as Augustus and Orr as King Herod when they come on TV; but I hope that Duggan doesn't get to play the part of a successful Guy Fawkes.
    Last edited by coracle; November-14-13 at 09:04 AM.

If someone from another state comes to visit Belle Isle, will they also pay for a yearly pass to visit other state parks for a whole year? I already have a state park pass. It is indicated on my license tab and Michigan vehicle registration. What happens then if a visitor is from out of state?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If someone from another state comes to visit Belle Isle, will they also pay for a yearly pass to visit other state parks for a whole year? I already have a state park pass. It is indicated on my license tab and Michigan vehicle registration. What happens then if a visitor is from out of state?
    I think you can buy a daily use pass for $8.40 at Michigan state parks for out of staters.
    In-staters have to pay the $11 for the year, but who would want to spend 8 bucks for a day as opposed to 11 for the year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think you can buy a daily use pass for $8.40 at Michigan state parks for out of staters.
    In-staters have to pay the $11 for the year, but who would want to spend 8 bucks for a day as opposed to 11 for the year anyway.
    The fee will definitely cut down on those from out of town or the burbs, like myself, who like to cruise around the island once or twice a yr. with the windows down without ever getting out of their cars. It's a nice relaxing drive. I will probably still pay the fee, viewing it more as a worthwhile donation, but I'm not sure how many others will. On the other hand, it should cut down on all the rowdy night cruisers throwing trash out the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The fee will definitely cut down on those from out of town or the burbs, like myself, who like to cruise around the island once or twice a yr. with the windows down without ever getting out of their cars. It's a nice relaxing drive. I will probably still pay the fee, viewing it more as a worthwhile donation, but I'm not sure how many others will. On the other hand, it should cut down on all the rowdy night cruisers throwing trash out the windows.
    I hope you would spend the extra few bucks and get a yearly pass to all of the State Parks. I don't know how many times you come off of the 401, but we have a great state to explore. Lots of beaches and recreational land. These are worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If you paid for the pass you will have a P on your tab.

The cavalry has arrived on the Island.

Glad I missed yesterday, apparently they found a corpse near the golf course during their survey.

Had a great discussion with a Trooper who had a handsome black German Shepherd partner, as he toured the path back by Phreak Beach.

Glad to learn that some of the officers volunteered for this duty...and this fellow brings his family down to the city often. It helps relieve some of my anxiety over this change in management.

We agreed the bulk of their work will be on the weekend nights, as any anti-family behavior is exactly what they are targeting.

But it was really weird driving onto the island to see a virtual army of State Police vehicles gathered for their orientation...odd that most of them were the SUVs that usually do truck terrorism duty on the highways.

Channel 2 was down there to capture the moment, but I'm sure they waited until one of their competitors left their usual morning constitutional stroll...Channel 4 should've had the scoop on this!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast