Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1970's Detroit Architecture

Hello all. I am not sure if this is the proper avenue to use, but its worth a shot. I am in need of some assistance and hope a few of you can help. I am currently scouting for a 1970's mid century modern home and/or commercial property from that decade. The property needs to be in reasonably good shape and within a 40-50 mile radius of Metro Detroit if possible. Direct links or contact info too any possible locations would be greatly appreciated. Through my exhausting research today it seems that most of the old gems have been demolished or ruined. An all to common story amongst the beautiful Detroit landscape. With client approval, I will compensate the property owner and anyone that directs me to a quality lead. God bless our city!

thank you

kyle
    KCEPHOTO

You want and "old gem" from 1970? I don't think any were built.

Yeah the 70's wasn't really a construction hot bed here in Detroit! But there has to be a home or two out there Might have to settle for 60's.

Can't do much better for mid-century modern in Detroit than the Lafayette/Elmwood Park area [[although I'm not sure if the '70s really qualifies as "mid-century," which I think of as more '50s & '60s). Lafayette Park with its Mies buildings is more early 1960s, but most of Elmwood Park was built in the late '60s and early '70s.

The other posters are right though, from the early-70s onward was very hard times around here, and very little was built until the late '80s.

Look on Oakman, coming up from Dearborn. A lot of 1970s-style ranches [[oddly...)

LodgeDodger Guest

Check out Southfield, they had some explosive growth then, and lots of modern homes built.

I remember I staretd a thread a few years back about Southfield's now old office buildings. However, back in the 70s, all those offices along 10 Mile and Northwestern area were considered cutting edge. Brutalist was ending and Redwood seemed to be everywhere.

Bearinabox Guest

Was there anything decent built in the 70s anywhere? I can't think of anything from that era that I'd want to live in, or use on a regular basis. No accounting for taste, I guess.

There is a cool 1970ish commercial structure at Second and Brainard.

I bet it would cost you about $5.

If you're talking about that weird low slung orange thing, I love that building. I just never expect it to be there.

I think there are a few in Canton that might fall into that era.

As far as office buildings go... RenCen, MacNamara Federal Office Building and the AT&T [[former Michigan Bell HQ) come to mind as products of the 1970's. And IIRC... the Walker Crisler Building [[DTE Energy HQ) and maybe 211 W. Fort may have been of that era.

thanks to all who have responded. I will be spending a lot of time driving this next week!

10 Mile between Greenfield and Evergreen, there are quite a few, also Southfield from Mt. Vernon north to 12 Mile, includes some Lathrup Village.