Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Does Midtown have an ordinance that disallows suburban style strip malls?

I was wondering if there are any zoning ordinances/law in Midtown which would disallow the construction of suburban style strip malls. I hate the McDonalds on Woodward. I think it is important to ensure that suburban housing communities and strip malls are not built in Midtown. Instead, buildings need to abut one another and go up to the sidewalk in a linear fashion.

Maybe the whole detroit yes forumers could ban together and push this into action with the city council if in fact there is no ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    I was wondering if there are any zoning ordinances/law in Midtown which would disallow the construction of suburban style strip malls. I hate the McDonalds on Woodward. I think it is important to ensure that suburban housing communities and strip malls are not built in Midtown. Instead, buildings need to abut one another and go up to the sidewalk in a linear fashion.

Maybe the whole detroit yes forumers could ban together and push this into action with the city council if in fact there is no ordinance.
    The Council quakes @ the thought of DetroitYes'rs banding together.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The Council quakes @ the thought of DetroitYes'rs banding together.
    We could always march into the meeting singing "Onward Christian Soliders", that hasn't been done before.

I strongly doubt they do but I wouldn't be object to the parking-lot-in-the-front model going the way of the dinosaur. It always confused me anyhow, since you can never seen the smaller storefronts from the road. I'm sure they will somehow still kick around for another few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    We could always march into the meeting singing "Onward Christian Soliders", that hasn't been done before.

I strongly doubt they do but I wouldn't be object to the parking-lot-in-the-front model going the way of the dinosaur. It always confused me anyhow, since you can never seen the smaller storefronts from the road. I'm sure they will somehow still kick around for another few decades.
    Perhaps Onward DetroitYes Soldiers....

But what if it's a beautiful, beautiful strip mall?

Strip malls in Detroit can only be built in areas that are not in the historical registry. The same effect goes in Midtown. If that certain building is 100 years old plus, that building can not be demolished, but to be rehabbed.

Sue mosey isnt doing parking lot int he front stuff, the new Lawrence tech building i bevel is zero setback as will be the stone pool aprtments on forest. and the mack ave office box

YES, thank you 48307.

Newdetroit: It needs one! And might as well add a moratorium for corridors like East Jefferson.

The Laundromat needs to be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post

Typically what I've seen are "pedestrian zone overlays" It bans new construction of buildings with driveways and parking. Any vehicular entrances would have to be done from an alley, would have to place parking under ground or inside somewhere. Usually you find them in zones with a lot of historic buildings. Some argue that it hurts business, but that's not true in stable urban neighborhoods where you tend to get higher quality businesses than cheap suburban joints. So if you have a building like McDonald's on a mid-block, they are pretty much doomed if they want to do a total rebuild because they are only grandfathered for renovation. Sometimes they get away with it if they are on a corner and can run vehicular access from another street and push the restaurant up to the sidewalk.

No.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...bp=12,180,,0,0
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...bp=12,225,,0,0
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Unive...12,295.72,,0,0

I doubt you have to worry about it though. Nearly all the newer retail has not been built that way, the land is now valuable enough to have developers want to max out sq footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Strip malls in Detroit can only be built in areas that are not in the historical registry. The same effect goes in Midtown. If that certain building is 100 years old plus, that building can not be demolished, but to be rehabbed.
    Unless there is an "ooopsie" like a fire or a construction crane hitting the building.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post

That thought gave me the giggles. Though I might suggest the hymn "Once to Every Man and Nation". How about it Lowell, cute little DY flags and a few banners for our picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    That thought gave me the giggles. Though I might suggest the hymn "Once to Every Man and Nation". How about it Lowell, cute little DY flags and a few banners for our picnic.
    Now THAT is the spirit sumas!!!