Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wvernon View Post
    Feel free to crow if I'm proven wrong.
    Your assumptions may be 100% correct, but that's really not the point I was trying to make.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-13-13 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This tragic event is growing a big story, already garnering national attention
    scuse me for this callous outburst, but why is the news media decrying these acts? arent they the ones who by trade have helped perpetuate and spice the racial paranoia that drives them, by continuing over the decades to post the most sensational racially-charged material they can find?

idk, sorry. i just have to guffaw when i see the media taking a moral stance on anything.

continue

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    I believe a white victim who crashed his car at 1:00a, fled the scene, ended up shot dead a mile away at 4:00a would be labeled a dumb drunk/junkie that was in Detroit to score narcotics. We wouldn't have heard about that story, unless you follow the police blotters.

With that said, I don't think this was racially motivated. I believe it's an unfortunate situation that reminds us of the violent crime issues in the area. Everyone here is justifiably on edge and doesn't want to be a victim of the brutality in the region. Expecting a petrified homeowner to remain calm and cautious when he thinks his family is about to be robbed, raped, murdered is absurd. Let the police and prosecutor decide if what he did was legal. Further, bringing skin color into this is pure race hustling.
    Absolutely correct, Mr. VanDorn.

With that said, I don't think this was racially motivated. I believe it's an unfortunate situation that reminds us of the violent crime issues in the area. Everyone here is justifiably on edge and doesn't want to be a victim of the brutality in the region. Expecting a petrified homeowner to remain calm and cautious when he thinks his family is about to be robbed, raped, murdered is absurd. Let the police and prosecutor decide if what he did was legal. Further, bringing skin color into this is pure race hustling.
    Oh....an "unfortunate situation". Well that makes it OK.
    Don't get me wrong. I believe most people would be a little cautious of someone knocking on their door at 2:30am. But looking out the window / door peephole and seeing a 5'4" 19 year old girl would not put me in the mindset that I was about to be robbed, raped and murdered.

And why are people bringing skin color into this? Most likely because this story has been heard before. The story of someone being shot in an "unfortunate situation" and it winds up being that the victim is unarmed and not in the process of comitting a crime. Coincidently, the receiver of said gunshot is always black or brown.

But it's 2013, not 1940.
    If this were 1940, the cops would have patted the guy on the back, said "Good Job!" and that would have been the end of it. No report, no autopsy, no news story. The family might not ever have known what happened to her other than her car being found abandoned. They may have filed a missing persons report ... or tried to ... and never heard anything more.

How do we know "She was looking for help" if her phone was dead? Is her family psychic? I feel bad for the family but we will never know what happened -- and that doesn't mean you can just start fabricating your own version of events. The family's lawyer says a toxicology report will mean nothing, does that mean they know she was drinking or using narcotics with friends earlier in the evening? If so, we have a family who lets their 19-year-old daughter drive around alone in Detroit at 1:00a -- under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
    Last edited by mark.vandorn; November-13-13 at 08:06 PM.

I believe a white victim who crashed his car at 1:00a, fled the scene, ended up shot dead a mile away at 4:00a would be labeled a dumb drunk/junkie that was in Detroit to score narcotics. We wouldn't have heard about that story, unless you follow the police blotters.

Do me a favor? Stay out of Detroit. Your kind scares me far more than our crime rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I have a little perspective. Ten years ago I heard a lit of banging and pounding in back of my house at 3 am. Half-asleep I thought first that one of my Mexican builder-neighbors was working. Then I realized that it was my house and that the back door reinforced with locks and meshed glass was being kicked in. Just as the guy came through, I escaped from the front door into the street and into my car. I had my cell phone, but honestly, I absolutely did not think of calling 911. I forgot there even was a 911. My shaking fingers speed dialed a few numbers as I tried to contact a policeman friend on the other side of town- who called 911. The guy? The neighbors had heard the pounding, turned on their lights and racked a shotgun. He ran off and no more trouble since like that.I often think about the fact that I did not remember 911 when faced with home invasion.
    If you live in an area where crime is commonplace, how can you protect your family or yourself if you are / were unarmed?

I wonder what the current crime statistics are for that part of Dearborn Hts? That might have something to do with the level of fear on the part of the homeowner. He may or may not have been overly paranoid.

Your summary is fair -- but there is something going on that causes otherwise reasonable people to jump to conclusions about the racist actions of the white guy towards the black girl.

We don't yet know the facts, but maybe this was a crazed racist who levels his gun at the door the second he sees a black person on his block. I'm sure that crazies like that exist -- and maybe this young lady picked the wrong house. If so, it would be extremely unfortunate and the paranoid white guy deserves what will come his way.

But the usual situation here is that hundreds of Detroiters black and white and purple are disproportionate victims of home invasions. And laws that allow a homeowner to defend themselves against such attacks almost certainly protect more blacks from crime than result in paranoid executions.

We should not tolerate paranoid executions.

We should allow all citizens to defend themselves against violent crime.

Rare but highly unfortunate situations should not drive public policy. But it does. Why?

I think it's safe to say we live in a very aggressive society.

Consider all the road rage, ultimate fighting on TV, abundance of steroids, a desire to own guns, unabated crime, beserker gunmen, widespread issues with concussions in sports, etc.

There is no shortage of people who own guns for ill reasons. They probably fall asleep dreaming of the day they will have a chance to use them. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we have voluntary enlistment in our armed forces. Seems there was always a war to go off to for every generation before the 70's. Most everyone got their fill of raw carnage, and came home to work towards a civilized life.

I will also add that people are very on edge these days. The level of rampant crime in this region alone is scary to say the least. You can probably tip your hat to the media on that one a bit too. I would say if someone was clawing at my door [[or whatever the circumstances were) I would be very alarmed. No matter the color of their skin.

Is this reason to own guns?...... yeah, I would say so. But it's not a reason to own 25 guns. Nor is it a reason to blow a strangers head off without knowing exactly what kind of scenario was unfolding.

You have to question the motives of this homeowner in this case. If his account doesn't add up, then he should be charged.
    Last edited by TKshreve; November-13-13 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I have a little perspective. Ten years ago I heard a lit of banging and pounding in back of my house at 3 am. Half-asleep I thought first that one of my Mexican builder-neighbors was working. Then I realized that it was my house and that the back door reinforced with locks and meshed glass was being kicked in. Just as the guy came through, I escaped from the front door into the street and into my car. I had my cell phone, but honestly, I absolutely did not think of calling 911. I forgot there even was a 911. My shaking fingers speed dialed a few numbers as I tried to contact a policeman friend on the other side of town- who called 911. The guy? The neighbors had heard the pounding, turned on their lights and racked a shotgun. He ran off and no more trouble since like that.I often think about the fact that I did not remember 911 when faced with home invasion.
    One of my many questions about this tradegy is whether the house where Renisha was shot, being located on a corner lot, might she have possibly knocked on the side door, maybe some windows first? Could the homeowner have been awakened in fear that he was about to broken into and reacted very similar to your above response? I know that I have reacted to this scenario with a weapon at the ready while in my first home, near another inner city on the other side of the state. This is an absolute tragedy, but there is a lot more information then what has been released so far.

Well she was drunk and had weed in her system so who knows. Drunk people act differently. You got the happy drunk and then you got the angry drunk. She's not totally innocent in this driving around drunk and hitting parked cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Well she was drunk and had weed in her system so who knows. Drunk people act differently. You got the happy drunk and then you got the angry drunk. She's not totally innocent in this driving around drunk and hitting parked cars.
    She wasn't just drunk. She was 3x the legal limit.

Now that said, I still say he should've called the cops. A woman is now dead.

Let's see what all the facts are when this thing breaks tomorrow.

19, "super" drunk and driving, narcotics in her system, cruising around Detroit at 1:00a. Her parents failed her. Press charges against them if anything.

Worthy isn't calling a presser to explain why she is pressing charges, she's calling a presser to explain why she isn't. Race hustlers need to find another tragedy to exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We don't yet know the facts, but maybe this was a crazed racist who levels his gun at the door the second he sees a black person on his block.
    Could be; but this home sits in a heavily black area on the Detroit/Dearborn Heights border; it would be an odd place for a "crazed racist" to live, and it would not be an unusual event to have a black person on the block. It would probably be the norm. That said, obviously I have no idea what happened.

Worthy isn't calling a presser to explain why she is pressing charges, she's calling a presser to explain why she isn't.
    Mark, are you taking bets on this?

Where did the idea that she was seeking help come from?

19, "super" drunk and driving, narcotics in her system, cruising around Detroit at 1:00a. Her parents failed her. Press charges against them if anything.

x2! Post of the Day -- and it's only a little after 7 am EST here in Detroit.

There's plenty of blame to spread around in this situation.

One could even argue very successfully that if the State didn't cut back on revenue sharing that there would be more funding for cops to be on the streets of our cities, patrols in the area may have been greater, and may have been able to intercept her / prevent this tragic situation from even happening in the first place.

How about the person / people who supplied the booze and buds to her? She's underage and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. What about the folks who allowed her to drive away from where she was partying at?

While I don't think the homeowner should be held harmless, I strongly question the implications that paint this guy as some sort of "hunter of black women" hyperbole. This kind of shit only dilutes an important voice in our community.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    x2! Post of the Day -- and it's only a little after 7 am EST here in Detroit.

There's plenty of blame to spread around in this situation.

One could even argue very successfully that if the State didn't cut back on revenue sharing that there would be more funding for cops to be on the streets of our cities, patrols in the area may have been greater, and may have been able to intercept her / prevent this tragic situation from even happening in the first place.

How about the person / people who supplied the booze and buds to her? She's underage and I'm pretty sure that's illegal. What about the folks who allowed her to drive away from where she was partying at?

While I don't think the homeowner should be held harmless, I strongly question the implications that paint this guy as some sort of "hunter of black women" hyperbole. This kind of shit only dilutes an important voice in our community.
    super drunk...high on pot... underage.... banging on a door. ok. fine. Not the totally innocent, helpless, stranded motorist many were painting her. However, not one thing there equates to a justified shooting.

Until I see evidence the door was shattered, windows were broken or there was some way she was gaining entrance into the home, I can't see how this guy isnt charged with at least some form of negligence leading to death.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    super drunk...high on pot... underage.... banging on a door. ok. fine. Not the totally innocent, helpless, stranded motorist many were painting her. However, not one thing there equates to a justified shooting.

Until I see evidence the door was shattered, windows were broken or there was some way she was gaining entrance into the home, I can't see how this guy isnt charged with at least some form of negligence leading to death.
    Don't forget leaving the scene of an accident is a serious misdemeanor.

Being drunk or high on weed might have been wrong, and she was probably disoriented, but still no reason for her to get shot in the face. The gunman should absolutely get charged, she didn't pose any danger. Then after he hired a lawyer, he changed his story from it being accidental, to self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Where did the idea that she was seeking help come from?
    Race hustlers.

Don't forget leaving the scene of an accident is a serious misdemeanor.
    Where did you come from? Seems like you're hell-bent for this guy to get off.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast