Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Renisha McBride shot in Dearborn Hgts. while seeking help - 2nd Degree Murder charged

Investigating the alleged "accidental discharge" of homeowner's shotgun that killed Renisha McBride
    Renisha McBride, 19, Shot To Death On Metro Detroit Porch While Trying To Get Help, Family Says

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4227760.html

Family seeks justice over shooting that was claimed to be accidental...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4235468.html

This tragic event is growing a big story, already garnering national attention, with racial profiling being questioned.

I can see no excuse for the shooting, shooter's claim that it was an accidental discharged included, assuming that it was an open porch and no break-in had occurred. If he was that worried why did he even open his door, as it seems he did? Why was his house chosen? There are not a lot of clear facts yet.

It seems all in the know are mum and, thankfully, calling for patience while the investigation proceeds.

Rightfully so as there are a couple of mysteries complicating the investigation. There is a two hour lapse between the accident, which occurred in the City of Detroit, and the shooting some distance away in Dearborn Heights. Then there is the issue of the shooter not reporting the shooting. Instead it was neighbors who called the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This tragic event is growing a big story, already garnering national attention, with racial profiling being questioned.

I can see no excuse for the shooting, shooter's claim that it was an accidental discharged included, assuming that it was an open porch and no break-in had occurred. If he was that worried why did he even open his door, as it seems he did? Why was his house chosen? There are not a lot of clear facts yet.

It seems all in the know are mum and, thankfully, calling for patience while the investigation proceeds.

Rightfully so as there are a couple of mysteries complicating the investigation. There is a two hour lapse between the accident, which occurred in the City of Detroit, and the shooting some distance away in Dearborn Heights. Then there is the issue of the shooter not reporting the shooting. Instead it was neighbors who called the police.
    'All in the know are mum' because that's the law. We expect our officials to investigate first, decide later.

I don't know the innocence or guilt of anyone here. I don't know what happened.

Neither do you. Be very careful before letting mob voices drive your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    'I don't know what happened.

Neither do you. Be very careful before letting mob voices drive your thinking.
    No mob voice driving my thinking. I do know some of what happened. A 19 year old girl was shot and killed and the shooter claims it was an accidental discharge. We don't know all the circumstances and there is much unexplained. That clear in my post.

I'd like to know why he didn't call 911 after the fact.

And why would he think a 19 year old women would be breaking into his home? Because she was black? Lame excuse for killing her. She was only seeking help, and he shoots her in the face? What has this world come to?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And why would he think a 19 year old women would be breaking into his home? Because she was black? Lame excuse for killing her. She was only seeking help, and he shoots her in the face? What has this world come to?
    I'd say it wasn't so much that she was black...it was probably more that it was 2:30 am. But in either case, I agree...I can't imagine any facts that might justify this situation.

Now even with that...I still wanna hear all the facts before I firm up my conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    If what you say are facts, your conclusion is sound. What you are saying are not facts. Therefore you should not draw conclusions.

We don't know the facts. Let's not create them in the interest of establishing racism.

It really is best to wait until there are some solid facts before labeling the guy a "murderer" or "racist". If the young woman was shot for doing nothing other than being black and seeking help from a stranger the shooter deserves to end up in prison. It's also a possibly that she was drunk or disorientated from the crash and trying to forcibly enter a strangers home at 3 in the morning. In that case I can understand the use of force by the homeowner.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-10-13 at 09:21 PM.

You don't "accidentally" shoot a gun. The gun shoots because you pulled the trigger. And if he had his finger on the trigger, that means he was ready to kill. Basic rule of gun safety is to keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot.

But if it was honestly a mistake, why didn't he call 911, as a responsible gun owner his actions indicate he may have he knew he did something wrong. What else baffles me is how this case has been handled initially by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You don't "accidentally" shoot a gun. The gun shoots because you pulled the trigger. And if he had his finger on the trigger, that means he was ready to kill. Basic rule of gun safety is to keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot.
    Amen and + 1

I second this comment. Not only did he have his hand ON the trigger... but he had it pointed at the girls face. Shotgun buck shot acts differently than a single bullet, and ricochet action is much different, if that were the case.

I was always taught to not point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to shoot them. I'm very interested to know how a young woman knocking on a door at any time of the day escalates to a gun being pointed in her face. Was it pointing in her face from the moment the door opened? If so, why?

If it were a pump-action shot gun, it would needed to be 'racked' first, which takes a few seconds, then finger in the trigger hole, then pulled to fire... This kind of two-step shot gun rarely misfires. And then there was the safety [[on or off) factor as well. There needs to be more investigation on this tragic incident.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    But if it was honestly a mistake, why didn't he call 911, as a responsible gun owner his actions indicate he may have he knew he did something wrong. What else baffles me is how this case has been handled initially by the police.
    Well, we don't know the answer. We don't know what led up to his discharging of his weapon. What was his state of mind. What was the dead girl's state of mind.

To answer your question -- let me ask you whether you've ever shot someone to death at point blank range. And with a shotgun it was probably pretty ugly. Shooting someone is a traumatic incident.

I think its more likely that he collapsed in shock at the reality of what happened to her than that he would calmly pick up the phone and call the cops.

I see a lot of empathy for the girl, and little for the homeowner. Maybe when the facts come out he will deserve no sympathy. But I'll wait for the facts.

Until we know what happened, we shouldn't judge either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    If it were a pump-action shot gun, it would needed to be 'racked' first, which takes a few seconds, then finger in the trigger hole, then pulled to fire... This kind of two-step shot gun rarely misfires. And then there was the safety [[on or off) factor as well. There needs to be more investigation on this tragic incident.
    You don't have to rack a pump action shotgun immediately before firing. A shell can be stored in the chamber and ready to fire, but to fire a second shot it would have to be racked.

Many thoughtful posts here.

I do wonder what the general reaction would have been if a white girl had been shot by a black man under the same circumstances. I imagine it would not be the same.

I feel really sorry for McBride's family and friends. What an awful way to die, dazed and looking for help.

Whoever shot her, that person has to feel low enough to play handball on the curb. If I were him, I'd move. Don't want to be known forever after as "that guy who shot that girl."

As for the people demanding "justice," I think they're really just demanding his head. Revenge. Just say it and be done with it. These "justice advocates" don't care about the law or justice. They want the system to tear this guy apart, the law be damned.

And it keeps getting uglier out there ...

I've never shot a firearm let alone a person but I'd agree that it might traumatic for the person who pulls the trigger but I'd have to imagine that it's probably 100 times more traumatic to the person who has had their face blown off.
    I could care less about his emotional state after pulling the trigger, that shouldn't excuse his behavior afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well, we don't know the answer. We don't know what led up to his discharging of his weapon. What was his state of mind. What was the dead girl's state of mind.

To answer your question -- let me ask you whether you've ever shot someone to death at point blank range. And with a shotgun it was probably pretty ugly. Shooting someone is a traumatic incident.

I think its more likely that he collapsed in shock at the reality of what happened to her than that he would calmly pick up the phone and call the cops.

I see a lot of empathy for the girl, and little for the homeowner. Maybe when the facts come out he will deserve no sympathy. But I'll wait for the facts.

Until we know what happened, we shouldn't judge either of them.

I agree that the racial discussions serve no purpose at this point... that is for a court and jury to decide... but the technical aspects of firearm usage should be a free discussion that transcends law enforcement, courtrooms and constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    I'd like to know why he didn't call 911 after the fact.
    I would have dialed the second I heard someone trying to 'break in' at 2 am. This would have been before the fact.

Regardless, I am not going to second guess either the family or the owner as the only known witness is the owner. Let the police investigate, I don't think we have all the facts. Some say they saw her being dis-orientated. This could have been a factor. We also don't know by any accounts what his record is, if any.

Whats even baffling is why would he open the door to someone whom he thought was an intruder because he didn't shoot through the door.

Directly across Outer Drive from the house is a multi-storey Co-Op apartment with a parking lot lit up all nught like a landing strip.
    Odd not to go there if needing help.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Directly across Outer Drive from the house is a multi-storey Co-Op apartment with a parking lot lit up all nught like a landing strip.
    Odd not to go there if needing help.
    It's even more odd to open your door and blow a persons face off just because they knocked on your door.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast