Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Old Detroit picture

I found this picture a couple of years ago in Google Images. I can't find it there now so I've attached a picture of the printout I made then, with a considerable decline in quality. It shows a bustling street scene at Campus Martius with the Kern Block still standing, so it must predate July of 1966 The left and right edges show parts of the "new look" DSR buses introduced in 1960, so there's a 5-6 year time frame for the scene. From the clothing it would seem closer to 1966; the picture is watermarked "Mark Hall Photography". I've spent some time trying to find out some more about that photograper, or company, to no avail. I'd love to get more lively street scenes of downtown from that era if anyone knows more about the source than I do. There are plenty of pictures of buildings and streets but not too many capturing a real feeling of what must have been a typical, ordinary day in that lost time.
    Name:  1109130733.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  36.7 KB

Google Images "search by image instead of text" found it here.

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Google Images "search by image instead of text" found it here.
    Thanks for sending that fine copy, Jimaz. Now people will have a better idea of that blustery looking day in the 60's when Woodward was crowded with shoppers, office workers, retailers and every one else imaginable. I know everyone's probably seen this Bill Rauhauser picture from the DIA, but I can't resist posting Name:  Bill-Rauhauser-Kresge-Court-Detroit-Institute-of-Arts-1960s.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  39.1 KBthis insouciant young lovely casually puffing away in the Kresge Court, a favorite hang-out of mine then and now. I enjoy these scenes from downtown, the Art Center and New Center from those carefree times, especially when they just show average people going about their daily business.

For some reason you just can't imagine people like that at the Southfield Town Center or Top of Troy.

Another point to make seeing this picture. Most of the people [[if not all) in there are white. No racist remark from me, just an observation.