Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oakwood Heights About to Disappear?

Because of construction on Fort, I wound up in Oakwood Heights [[where all signs lead to Giovanni's), and I was surprised by just how many houses were completely gone. It looks like Marathon's plan to buy up and demolish homes in the neighborhood has worked quite well. There's hardly a house left on many streets.

Judging at Google Maps, the change occurred practically overnight. You almost have to wonder if Giovanni's is next. Once the homes are all gone, either Marathon is going to need that spot Giovanni's in, or the industrial overgrowth is gonna get so ugly that Giovanni's is going to have trouble attracting almost anyone.

Maybe it's time for Dan Gilbert to offer him Angelina Italian Bistro's spot on Grand Circus Park, seeing how much he hates Angelina's hours and whatnot.

Oakwood Heights About to Disappear?

"About to"? It's gone. I did a drive through late summer, and counted more bulldozers then standing homes then. I hope Giovani's somehow survives. I don't go there often, but it's the last bastion of high-end Italian cooking, left, IMO. I prefer it to Roma Cafe. As traffic and commotion @ the Marathon Refinery increases, I can't see it surviving in it's current location. I remember years ago Joey's Stables standing up to the Water Department and eventually falling.

I visited the Oakwood Heights neighborhood two weeks ago. Almost all the
    homes were gone but there appear to be a couple that are still occupied. Does anyone know what Marathon paid for homes to encourage their owners to sell?
    Presumably, the former Oakwood Heights area will be a Marathon Oil owned
    green space just northeast of their massive refinery. Does Marathon have
    approval from the city to close the streets in Oakwood Heights?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I visited the Oakwood Heights neighborhood two weeks ago. Almost all the
    homes were gone but there appear to be a couple that are still occupied. Does anyone know what Marathon paid for homes to encourage their owners to sell?
    Presumably, the former Oakwood Heights area will be a Marathon Oil owned
    green space just northeast of their massive refinery. Does Marathon have
    approval from the city to close the streets in Oakwood Heights?
    Here's an old article with the information in it: http://www.freep.com/article/2011110...2-2B-expansion

I presume that this is being done without eminent domain in this post-Kelo era. The article says...
    The program, being announced this afternoon, is voluntary. Prices offered for houses will vary but will be generous, starting at either the average of two appraisals or $40,000, whichever is higher, plus a 50% premium on top of the appraised average plus relocation assistance.

So much like Poletown, these residents are being treated quite well. I will miss that neighborhood. Loved driving through. It seemed vibrant -- although more than a little tarnished. But I'm really glad that Marathon is bringing economic activity and taxes to Detroit. I'm sure someone will complain that the residents aren't getting the jobs, and that they have tax abatements, and a few dozen other complaints. But perfection is the enemy of the good. This is good overall for Detroit. There are a few thousand other residents across town that would love to accept this offer too.

Everyone loves industrial jobs and residential relocation when it isn't their backyard.

My friend who was stuck with his mother's house over there when she became a little too old to stay there was one of the first to sell out. He got more [[that is to say, something) out of it than her ever thought he would.

I would be happier about the economic impact of the expansion if the environmental and health impacts weren't so dire. But the whole reason for the expansion is to process extremely dirty high-sulfur crude from Marathon's operations in Canada. This in the middle of a residential area that already has the highest asthma, respiratory disease, and cancer rate in Michigan.

And then there's the 20 year $175 mil. tax abatement...

Yep, and from what I can tell River Rouge is next on the list of residential areas that have got to go, along with Delray. You have to start to wonder about how much pollution Metro Detroit can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yep, and from what I can tell River Rouge is next on the list of residential areas that have got to go, along with Delray. You have to start to wonder about how much pollution Metro Detroit can handle.
    I think we're going to find out.

Good thing I'm moving to 50 Mile and Dequindre. It makes me happy about all the industrial economic growth south of 20 Mile - I mean, 8 Mile - or was it 20 Mile? It's all the same to me. I like commuting over an hour to work, and that new refinery in Oakwood Heights should help keep gas prices down, down, down! Life is great out here. I spend all my time ignoring all the farms around here with my satellite TV! Country living is where it's at.
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-08-13 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    My friend who was stuck with his mother's house over there when she became a little too old to stay there was one of the first to sell out. He got more [[that is to say, something) out of it than her ever thought he would.

I would be happier about the economic impact of the expansion if the environmental and health impacts weren't so dire. But the whole reason for the expansion is to process extremely dirty high-sulfur crude from Marathon's operations in Canada. This in the middle of a residential area that already has the highest asthma, respiratory disease, and cancer rate in Michigan.

And then there's the 20 year $175 mil. tax abatement...
    Glad they got a good pile of cash.

As to the environmental and health impact -- I think moving away from a refinery is probably a net plus. Doing so with cash probably also helps their overall health.

Reliable energy for the US is crucially important to the health, welfare, and safety of people around the world. I do want the EPA to maintain high standards in our backyards -- but I also want to see brutal regimes such as Saudi Arabia have less power to oppress hundreds of thousands of people and create monsters like OBL.

I want industry in Detroit. We need more. Yes -- it will bring some side effects. Let's work hard to keep the negatives as small as possible and the benefits to Detroit as large as possible. But let's not stand in the way of everything in pursuit of perfection. Let's manage our way to Detroit prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch
    Yes -- it will bring some side effects. Let's work hard to keep the negatives as small as possible and the benefits to Detroit as large as possible. But let's not stand in the way of everything in pursuit of perfection. Let's manage our way to Detroit prosperity.

Yeah, right. Steel plants and refineries don't hire like they used to. Ever heard of automation?
    And with tax breaks they don't even pay taxes like they used to! Companies like U.S. Steel [[a huge employer Downriver) also don't let their employees leave the premises for lunch - afraid employees will drink themselves into a stupor over their dehumanizing jobs - killing all the diners from Delray to Wyandotte. So, in the end, who benefits?
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-08-13 at 02:33 PM.

Yeah, right. Steel plants and refineries don't hire like they used. Ever heard of automation?
    And with tax breaks they don't even pay taxes like they used to! Companies like U.S. Steel [[a huge employer Downriver) also don't let their employees leave the premises for lunch - afraid employees will drink themselves into a stupor over their dehumanizing jobs - killing all the diners from Delray to Wyandotte. So, in the end, who benefits?
    Ain't that the truth. The whole Marathon abatement, and looking the other way on environmental and health impacts, was given away for a proposed [[NOT promised) 60 full-time jobs, 75 "contract" positions, and 10 community college scholarships. And no guarantees for employing Detroit residents. Certainly no bonanza there.

It's almost comical how people that want to support Detroit will be cheerleaders for every lie they want to believe, and then when the same old, same old happens they'll be the first to bust out the "whatta bunch o' crooks" line and usher in the next set of lies. Just shortsighted vision, decade after decade.

I'm glad at least Charlie LeDuff hasn't completely bought into the EM yet. About a month ago an Orr supporter on this site told me that Orr was set to fix the lights any day now, a promise that goes back to the time he was appointed. He posted news stories and all that jazz, only for LeDuff to put out a story a couple days ago about how we're just now "only" weeks away from serious action on the lights. And sure enough, they'll replace a couple lights as part of routine maintenance and make a big hoopla about it, convincing the myopic public that progress is finally being made. It's sickening to watch.

I think Kevyn Orr WORKS for Marathon.

One thing I believe Benny Napoleon got right - even if he didn't know exactly how to word it - is that you can't fix the problem of poverty with bulldozers. The whole idea of fixing Detroit by downsizing it doesn't, in fact, solve anything. At best, it pushes the poor out of the city and creates a much smaller city of affluent people. Good for the white guy looking for an "urban", cultured experience, but either irrelevant or bad for almost anyone else.

So you bulldozed Oakwood Heights and turned it into an industrial wasteland? How exactly is life better for the average person? I can't really see it. But it's a brave new America and Detroit is the epicenter, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Orr
    I think Kevyn Orr WORKS for Marathon.

Lol, OK, I realize bringing him into this topic was probably a bad idea. My point was just that Metro Detroiters love to believe whatever "officials" tell them, when in fact, the opposite is usually more advisable.

Actually, before those two areas can be on the hit list, Boynton and Melvindale will more likely be leveled first. Although if you're referring to the waste treatment plant, then River Rouge and Delray will most definitely be destroyed.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-08-13 at 03:11 PM.

Isn't it funny? You used to be able to LIVE in Melvindale, LIVE in Oakwood Heights. Industry and people coexisted. Now regular people are nuisance, in the way of white collar profits. Their homes must be bulldozed to add an extra 0 to the CEOs paycheck, while too many people in neighborhoods like Oakwood Heights bring in a "check" with one 0 on it and nothing else.

Lol, OK, I realize bringing him into this topic was probably a bad idea. My point was just that Metro Detroiters love to believe whatever "officials" tell them, when in fact, the opposite is usually more advisable. [/COLOR]
    Glad you have a sense of humous. I don't think Metro Detroiters LOVE to believe whatever "officials" tell them, so much as people are genuinely scared of the state of Metro Detroit, the lack of work, and the changes that are happening to the Demographics. I think you're looking @ people who realizing they're drowning, are clutching @ straws. There's also this tendancy for people, in general, to look for a magic bullet, a super-hero that will fly in and save us all, like in some half hour sitcom. It happened with Kilpatrick, then Bing, now Orr, and Duggan. ANY business is GOOD business, never mind the consequences.

Isn't it funny? You used to be able to LIVE in Melvindale, LIVE in Oakwood Heights. Industry and people coexisted. Now regular people are nuisance, in the way of white collar profits. Their homes must be bulldozed to add an extra 0 to the CEOs paycheck, while too many people in neighborhoods like Oakwood Heights bring in a "check" with one 0 on it and nothing else.
    You're entitle to your opinion, of course. But this is a voluntary program. And the people in Oakwood Heights are getting a check with extra zeroes. I don't see how they are being screwed.

I hear lots of bitterness on this site. This is a Detroit success story. Should be happiness. Some people just never are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk
    I think you're looking @ people who realizing they're drowning, are clutching @ straws.

Good point. On similar note, as someone who lives in "South Warren"/Eastpointe [[right on the border) and worked until recently in Southfield, it amuses me when people get a kick out of insulting the inner ring suburbs. Don't they realize how badly it reflects on your "city" when two of the larger municipalities in the area are failing along with Detroit? But it makes them feel better about their suburb/corner of gentrified Detroit. We're like their personal Jerry Springer show.

But trust me, it didn't do the region any favors when Warren landed in Forbes Most Miserable Cities list. Now your private joke is your national shame.

Good point. On similar note, as someone who lives in "South Warren"/Eastpointe [[right on the border) and worked until recently in Southfield, it amuses me when people get a kick out of insulting the inner ring suburbs. Don't they realize how badly it reflects on your "city" when two of the larger municipalities in the area are failing along with Detroit? But it makes them feel better about their suburb/corner of gentrified Detroit. We're like their personal Jerry Springer show.

But trust me, it didn't do the region any favors when Warren landed in Forbes Most Miserable Cities list. Now your private joke is your national shame.[/COLOR]
    About 10 years ago a friend, [[retired now) had a thriving family business around 8 & Mound. I would visit occaisionally, and we would drive around the area. It was shocking to see the number of small shops that were either closed, for sale, or for lease. One right after another, block after block. This was even before the "crash". I can't imagine things have improved much.

Actually, the Detroiters moving in to South Warren have revitalized the area a bit, but it's still a far cry from what it used to be, and the long-term prospects are grim. The youth is extremely disenfranchised and the industrial jobs keep paying less and less.

Two comments and one question about the Marathon Oil facility. Theis own statement reported that their $2.1 billion investment to refine bitimum from
    Alberta would create only 145 new jobs in Detroit. And half of those would be
    contract employees.

Despite the tax abatement, Marathon Oil is the largest single property tax payer in Detroit. I believe they paid 3.9% of all property tax paid to Detroit
    in 2012.

Finally, increasingly oil is shipped by rail to maximize the sales price of the crude. The Marathon plant now gets their oil, I believe, from the existing
    Keystone pipe line. Is that remodeled plant designed to obtain oil by rail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast