Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Restored Comedies at the Uptown Film Festival

CineMuseum will be screening four Mack Sennett comedies during the Uptown Film Festival at the Birmingham Theater this Friday evening, November 8th, at 7:30 p.m.

The historic short subjects [[starring Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, Mabel Normand, W.C. Fields, and others) were restored last year in Southfield Michigan, with assistance from the Michigan Film Office, for the 100th anniversary of the Keystone Studios. Details and tickets are available at the Uptown website.

http://www.uptownfilmfestival.com/?page_id=397

Who did they get to score these restorations?

The silent entries were scored by Donald Sosin, Dr. Philip Carli, Ben Model, Andrew Simpson, and Dennis Scott [[house organist at the Music Box Theater iin Chicago).

Ahh, good. I worked with Dennis 25 years ago when he lived in the area.

There are two closed theaters that be used to show older movies; The Algiers on E Warren and Outer Drive, and the building on Jefferson near Chalmers.

Stasu, the Alger is still standing on E. Warren. On Jefferson, there was the Cinderella and the Esquire but IIRC both are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughsmith View Post
    Stasu, the Alger is still standing on E. Warren. On Jefferson, there was the Cinderella and the Esquire but IIRC both are gone.
    I know that the Algiers is still standing. I was saying that it should operate in the same way as the Redford and the Uptown are operating; as a place that show classic movies. The place on Jefferson could be renovated and open as the same type of venue. People would have a place closer to go to especially the eastsiders

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I know that the Algiers is still standing. I was saying that it should operate in the same way as the Redford and the Uptown are operating; as a place that show classic movies. The place on Jefferson could be renovated and open as the same type of venue. People would have a place closer to go to especially the eastsiders
    Are you sure? The Algiers was a drive-in next to Westland Mall. Is there another? http://water-winterwonderland.com/dr...70&LocTypeID=1

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Are you sure? The Algiers was a drive-in next to Westland Mall. Is there another? http://water-winterwonderland.com/dr...70&LocTypeID=1
    The Algers on E Warren and Outer Drive

Alger.....