Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post

Speaking of Birmingham, the town has lost much of the character that made it great the last 10-15 years. The foreclosure crisis put lots of rentals and cheap homes on the market. The push for nightlife made the town attractive to those that want a "scene." The newcomers are not the type of people that were moving to Birmingham in 1998. The new Birmingham is tacky, loud and ostentatious. It's very possible the housing demand is strong, but that doesn't mean the town hasn't changed, public schools aren't as great, etc.
    I agree that Birmingham has a different character than 15 years ago, and that new feel could be characterized as tacky and obnoxious, but the schools haven't declined, at least not based on test scores. They've actually improved as the city got wealthier [[not implying causation, though). Test scores used to trail Bloomfield, they now usually exceed their neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I have lived in GP for over 45 years and have been hearing this BULLSHIT since I moved here and yet to quote Lowell GP is like old man river its keeps moving on. I am always bewildered that 30 ish homes that were razed between the 1950's and 1980's are considered the end of GP.
    I think this is a good quote illustrating why people have different perspectives. You are speaking of architectural quality, and I have mentioned property values. From your perspective, the lack of teardowns is indicative of some "good"; and I don't disagree. But from a market perspective, it means less rapacious development, basically implying that the land in the Pointes, from a relative perspective, isn't that valuable. If the Pointes were so hot, teardowns would be a problem.

Bloomfield/Birmingham is also an easy commute to Milford and Dearborn.
    So is Grosse Pointe to Dearborn via I-94.

In fact, I'd say it's a much easier commute than from Birmingham/West Bloomfield.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    This has become an unpleasant place to post. One did not expect such a vociferous response for an earnestly posted opinion. Time to check out, I suppose.
    Naw.... A2Mike.... just realize there's a few folks here that like to hear themselves argue... the rest are all pretty reasonable... no need to check out.... but there is an ignore filter where you can select specific people's posts to not show up....

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Unfortunately everyone's view of GP is from Lakeshore. For GP residents Lakeshore is the last street we would live on.

Last all those 1000's of homes are in very good to exceptional condition-"a testament to the residents of GP's continued renewal and relevance to changing times."
    p69rrh51... it's probably best that they stay on Lakeshore with their blinders on... going down Windmille Pointe, Vendome, Cloverly, Kenwood, Lincoln, 3 Mile Dr., Provencal, et al... will only confuse them...

Bloomfield/Birmingham is also an easy commute to Milford and Dearborn.
    LOL That's the biggest joke if I've ever heard one. Bloomfield/Bham area is on average 2-5 miles from the nearest freeway then your stuck in traffic on those freeways and you have to connect to multiple freeways. And taking Telegraph is just as awful if not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think this is a good quote illustrating why people have different perspectives. You are speaking of architectural quality, and I have mentioned property values. From your perspective, the lack of teardowns is indicative of some "good"; and I don't disagree. But from a market perspective, it means less rapacious development, basically implying that the land in the Pointes, from a relative perspective, isn't that valuable. If the Pointes were so hot, teardowns would be a problem.
    Bham you need to get over here sometime, and I would be more than happy to give you a tour. What do tearsdowns have to do with land value? Maybe in Birmingham they are a sign of growth whether one likes them or not. Here there are plenty of teardowns but there is also a fair amount of open land. Also unlike Birmingham the teardowns here are replacing less desirable homes built in the 50's 60's and 70's. When its all said and done with the quality of the construction, size and diversity here, there is no need to replace the existing housing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    This has become an unpleasant place to post. One did not expect such a vociferous response for an earnestly posted opinion. Time to check out, I suppose.
    There are always cretins when the internet is involved. Or life itself. At least human life.

As many people have said, the vitality of both Birmingham and the Pointes are tied to the health of the region, and if the region continues to suffer, I would expect both areas to be negatively affected. However, I do think that a large portion of the Pointes is more distinctive than the Birmingham area--you could recreate something similar to Birmingham in Livingston County, especially with all the teardowns and [[IMO) tasteless renovations. Much more difficult to replicate the Pointes, although there are very distinctive parts of Bloomfield, and you aren't going to replicate Cranbrook. On the other hand, I have to think that because of their location, the Pointes have more at stake in the state of downtown Detroit.

But the biggest wildcard is what the tastes of the next generation or two are like. I see little evidence so far that the younger folks either can or want to put as large a portion of their resources into housing as their predecessors, and with fewer children schools are less of an issue.
    Last edited by mwilbert; November-10-13 at 06:00 PM.

GP is kinda out of the way. younger people like being around bars & nightlife. Not much of that in the pointes.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    GP is kinda out of the way. younger people like being around bars & nightlife. Not much of that in the pointes.
    another plus for the Pointes

i like it out that way. Another unpopular rex opinion. EEV would have benefited from being a pointe instead of Detroit.

GPP is working hard to retain and attract a younger set. West Park on Kercheval is going through a major revamp. College students are getting grants to assist with rental fees. Home owners are getting grants to convert old homes back to single dwellings. Can't say I agree with all of it, but it does show a community that wants to stay vibrant.

Maybe I missed a post or two but didn't see comments on the great parks and recreation for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    GPP is working hard to retain and attract a younger set. West Park on Kercheval is going through a major revamp. College students are getting grants to assist with rental fees. Home owners are getting grants to convert old homes back to single dwellings. Can't say I agree with all of it, but it does show a community that wants to stay vibrant.

Maybe I missed a post or two but didn't see comments on the great parks and recreation for kids.
    The west end of GPP has tons of potential [[with its somewhat urban feel). Its build is similar to what the lower eastside was like doing its prime, or Hamtramck [[It's just of matter of doing something about the other side of Alter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The west end of GPP has tons of potential [[with its somewhat urban feel). Its build is similar to what the lower eastside was like doing its prime, or Hamtramck [[It's just of matter of doing something about the other side of Alter Road.
    That is true to a degree. Creekside is still vibrant to a degree. Unfortunately there is currently some bad blood between JEBA, another effective org and GPP. Long story! We have such great river front parks that have just gone fallow. Also long story!

My solution would be to detach and reattach that portion of Detroit to GPP. It was once a single community that Detroit annexed in the twenties dividing the Village of Fairview. Easier said than done.

last time i was over there almost 10 years ago The other side of Alter was like a prairie. Is there anybody left over there to cause crime? Is that a dangerous neighborhood still? Ugly sure, dangerous though?

Unfortunately there is currently some bad blood between JEBA, another effective org and GPP. Long story! .

What is JEBA and what's the beef?

Rex, I would the other side of Alter is ugly but not dangerous by Detroit standards.

Jefferson East Business Association.... an educated guess??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Jefferson East Business Association.... an educated guess??
    Good call! The issue was over a historic building that GPP bought and wanted to tear down. Half the block is GPP the other half Detroit

Was that the building on the NE corner of Jefferson/Alter Sumas?

Actually the east side has many viable neighborhoods and yes urban prairie. too. I am talking about the Jefferson riverfront corridor. Urban prairies rules compared to burnt out hulks of buildings, which we have more than a few.

Actually the east side has many viable neighborhoods and yes urban prairie. too. I am talking about the Jefferson riverfront corridor. Urban prairies rules compared to burnt out hulks of buildings, which we have more than a few.

Good call! The issue was over a historic building that GPP bought and wanted to tear down. Half the block is GPP the other half Detroit
    The historic dilapidated eyesore? Yeah, that needs to go. This was a perfect instance where asking for forgiveness is better than asking for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Your average Bloomfield snob probably prefers Great Lakes Crossing, since the "riffraff" can take the bus to Somerset.
    From a superficial view of Great lakes Crossing and the diversity thereof, I think that GLC can boast a significant contribution of Detroit and Pontiac to its clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    From a superficial view of Great lakes Crossing and the diversity thereof, I think that GLC can boast a significant contribution of Detroit and Pontiac to its clientele.
    And there are buses to GLC too, from Flint no less. And, of course, both Birmingham and Bloomfield have SMART buses. I doubt it makes any difference whether or not there are buses.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast