Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Mike Duggan wins the Mayoral election

Congrats to Mike Duggan! This is without a doubt a step in the right direction... VERY excited for Detroit.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/politic...-detroit-mayor

And this will be the first time since 1972 that Detroit has been ruled by a white man...

Can't wait to see how he turns the city around. And thanks to this guy for correctly predicting this way back in January!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN!! I waited 40 years for White Detroit Mayor and we got it!!!
    Last edited by Danny; November-05-13 at 11:02 PM.

not excited about Duggan. not that Napoleon was grade-A material, but jesus christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN, DUGGAN!! I waited 40 years for White Detroit Mayor and we got it!!!
    I'm excited too, but not for that reason...I've waited years for a good mayor and I'm hoping he will be that...he has much more potential than Napoleon. I don't care about his race; to me it's more about what he'll do for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And this will be the first time since 1972 that Detroit has been ruled by a white man...

Can't wait to see how he turns the city around. And thanks to this guy for correctly predicting this way back in January!
    1974....Roman Gribbs term ended on either January 1 or 2 of 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post

you think that cuz a white guy is mayor the city will magically get better. thats pretty dumb

Congrats to Duggan,, it has to do with ability, not race and I really feel of the two he was by far the better choice, and a majority of Detroiters agreed. We have all come a long way, and this speaks wonders,, finally... I also think he has the ability to get this community together again, no matter what side of 8 mile your on,,
    We need this big time, as the potential is great if handled properly,, Only time will tell.

Now we got Duggan is Detroit's first white Mayor in 40 years. Let's look at other 7 districts:

DISTRICT 1

JAMES TATE 68%

WANDA HILL 32%

TATE is definite shoe-in for Detroit council 7th district.

DISTRICT 2

GEORGE CUSHINGBERRY JR. 53%

RICHARD BOWERS JR. 47%

George will be the new face in the council. Let's welcome in with open arms.

DISTRICT 3

SCOTT BENSON 64%

FRANCINE ADAMS 36%

Benson tried really hard to run Detroit Mayor, city council ect... Now his political wish came true. He will take the council seat. Now let's see what he can do.

DISTRICT 4

ANDRE SPIVEY 54%

BETTIE SCOTT 46%

Spivey is in! He's too popular in his hood to run for council.

DISTRICT 5

MARY SHEFFIELD 53%

ADAM HOLLIER 47%

Thanks to her D.A.B.O. Church friends, Sheffield is in the house.

DISTRICT 6

RAQUEL CASTANEDA-LOPEZ 57%

ISSAC ROBINSON 43%

Lopez got this district in the bag. She has 80% of the Hispanic popular vote along the W. Vernor HWY. corridor from Hubbard Farms to Springwells Village. For the first time in ever, Detroit will have 1st Mexican-Hispanic Detroit city councilwoman. Now they can have a voice in Detroit politics.

DISTRICT 7

GABE LELAND 50%

JOHN BENNET 50%

WOW! This race is too close to call. So far Leland his a 100 vote lead. A recall might take effect. If Leland wins, he will the first ever white Detroit city councilman since Coleman Young Years.

CITY COUNCIL AT LARGE FOR A COUPLE MORE YEARS WILL BE

Brenda Jones and Shaunteel Jenkins. Both of them are too popular and they in charge.

I voted to Duggan but geez, listening to some of the fellow supporters shouting from the rooftop about how Detroit finally has a white mayor is starting to make me sick to my stomach...

In the larger picture, I'm not sure the future will be much different than if Napolean had won. The preoccupation with race in this town has bothered me for decades. On this forum, it is even more disappointing.

For too many people, the last 40 years are summed up as: "well, we [white people] gave them [black people] the city, and look what they did with it."

I don't want the next sentence of that story to be: "and then they elected Duggan, and that's when things started to turn around."

I voted for Duggan anyway.

Either way the election went, we are going to have to learn how to tell the real story, complete with all its nuance and uncomfortable details.

I wonder how Oakland County would have reacted if Duggan would have told the criminals to hit 8 Mile..lmao

Needless to say I am pleased. Race is not the issue, qualifications won the day.

Now the hard part. Do the damn job. No one person can "save " the city. He put together a great campaign team and hoping he does the same for our city.

We deserve leadership that can take on tough choices and I imagine I may not like all of them. I do want results.

He seems like he's a big time law and order type of a guy. That's fine by me, he can start by cleaning up some of the brazen open air drug markets around town.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    He seems like he's a big time law and order type of a guy. That's fine by me, he can start by cleaning up some of the brazen open air drug markets around town.
    I hear you. legalize it or just clean it up. We know who sells what but police who are informed do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    We know who sells what but police who are informed do nothing.
    They don't want to cut off their suppliers.

Great win for Duggan and the city. However, very disappointed in outcome of dst#5 with Sheffield upsetting Holier. His record of accomplishments were much, much better than hers - another "name recognition" thing I suppose. Her writteen responses to the Freep Candidate Questionnare should have told people something, i.e. "she looks up to Brenda Scott" and wants to carry herself like her.....not good. I can see her father involved causing lots of problems.

Detroit need a new kind of leadership and direction. I am disappointed that Saunteel Jenkins, Spivey, and Tate had won. Duggan have the pull that Napoleon didn't have. Not saying that Duggan passion for the city was more genuine than Napoleon's. Duggan had more pull.

A white Mayor presiding over a black City going through bankruptcy; what could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Just, "WOW!"

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I hear you. legalize it or just clean it up. We know who sells what but police who are informed do nothing.
    Ho' Drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Great win for Duggan and the city. However, very disappointed in outcome of dst#5 with Sheffield upsetting Holier. His record of accomplishments were much, much better than hers - another "name recognition" thing I suppose. Her writteen responses to the Freep Candidate Questionnare should have told people something, i.e. "she looks up to Brenda Scott" and wants to carry herself like her.....not good. I can see her father involved causing lots of problems.
    I totally agree with you. I'm very tired of the Sheffield dynasty, and that certain religions encourage their flock to put blinders on and "tow the line".

I think Duggan is likely to make more changes to city government and give it better operating procedures than any of the recent mayors. I also think he's a dealmaker, which will build ties to both the business community and suburban and state leaders. I think one of his biggest challenges will the new council: they will have altogether different priorities than he will. Also, the council will be ideologically very, very liberal; Duggan is non-ideological. Duggan was not my first choice for mayor, but I think he has the skills and experience to do a good job. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    not excited about Duggan. not that Napoleon was grade-A material, but jesus christ.
    Agreed.

My vote was for the LESSER of the two evils, and unfortunately that was Duggan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast