Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What progress has Kevin Orr made?

I dont live in Detroit but I am sincerely asking. It does not seem like he has done anything as of yet. Not sure on the timeframe buy I know he is several months into his 18 allotted to do the job.
    Last edited by abraham; November-05-13 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I dont live in Detroit but I am sincerely asking. It does not seem like he has done anything as of yet. Not sure on the timeframe buy I know he is several months into his 18 allotted to do the job.
    Wondering if you can clarify your question... Are you asking what he has accomplished in total? Or are you limiting your question only to those things which can be seen/felt by the common man and bottom level?

He's burned through $20 million dollars.

Otherwise, nothing much [[emphasis on nothing).

He's opened bidding on cheaper, more efficient trash collection but that process hasn't finished yet. He's going to override the clownsil on Belle Isle which is a good thing. I would like to see a bit more progress though, and by progress I don't mean busting pensions and selling off the DIA.

I'm still thinking........

streetlights are still off

emergency services still don't show up

buses are still less common than feral dogs

so there you have it, he hasn't done shit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Wondering if you can clarify your question... Are you asking what he has accomplished in total? Or are you limiting your question only to those things which can be seen/felt by the common man and bottom level?
    I'm a common man I drive a common van my dog don't have a PHD.

he paid the bills on time!
    except for the rent for the detroit police station on grand boulevard + woodward.

wonder where they're going to move that?

Changes are coming in just a few weeks. It's been that way for weeks now.

Come on. Kevin Orr has done ALOT for the finance and lawyer community.

We're asking ourselves the same question, as you can clearly see.

He's established Detroit is Bankrupt.
    He's neutered the main perpetrators [[Mayor/Council)
    He's temporarily slowed down the rate of financial decline.
    He's set up a shadow team to keep basic services running.
    He's isolated the main causes of the debt.
    He's informed those who are going to take the hit so they can plan on it.
    He's got [[most) believing things will get better.
    He's successfully fought off all the stupid lawsuits that always plague any attempt to make progress in Detroit
    He's pissed off the unions.
    All these good things and more and nothing can happen now until Detroit is declared to be a Bankrupt
    His cost to Detroit has been peanuts compared to the long term debt Detroit has run up and was still adding daily.
    One blemish is his request to borrow $350M from Barklays Bank to pay off interest on loans Detroit can't pay off, plus services the City can't afford to provide. Looks like the nucleus of the next loan debacle after the current one is "sorted"
    Last edited by coracle; November-09-13 at 04:21 PM.

He has made his old Law Firm rich and he has pissed off the retirees like my father and his buddies.

Depending upon the outcome, he may make my parents move into my basement. Yeah they are going to like that... NOT!

I'm not sure what he could do in a reletively short period of time to make a measurable impact. I hate to use the phrase "the wheels of government grind slowly", but it's true. Many many people are elected to office saying "I'm going to shake up things and make sure they run right in this fair [[fill in your government entity here)." Doesn't work that way. It took us 8 years from when we first went looking for funding to completion of our sewer system, and I live in a town of 900. If it took us 8 years to do that, imagine making major changes in a city of 800k.

I wonder if one of the problems we have as a society is that we expect results now. Dave Bing was expected to make things better immediately. Didn't happen, did it. Kevin Orr was expected to do the same thing, and guess what happened. Not much. Orr [[or Bing, or any government official that doesn't have a printing press) can't be expected to make changes overnight. He can't "create" money necessary to do these things, and even if he/she/it could, it would take time to implement the improvements.