Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default United Artists Theatre Renovation?

This picture was shot just last night [[Sunday, November 3), and it shows the lights on the long abandoned building. I recall seeing the lights on a few weeks ago, and it sure looked like construction was happening. Could one of Detroit's greatest buildings finally be renovated? If so, what might it be?

Name:  IMG_9186.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  32.4 KB

I hope so, although I don't know why Ilitch would keep the lid on renovation. I suspect that they're doing basic work to keep the building in decent enough shape to eventually reno or sell. But I hope! I love that building, and would love to see the theatre renovated as a jazz & blues-dedicated concert venue.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    This picture was shot just last night [[Sunday, November 3), and it shows the lights on the long abandoned building. I recall seeing the lights on a few weeks ago, and it sure looked like construction was happening. Could one of Detroit's greatest buildings finally be renovated? If so, what might it be?

Name:  IMG_9186.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  32.4 KB
    The Ilitches have said that their 'entertainment district' will include a hotel, residential development, office space and more… That said, the district lines are peculiarly drawn around the UA building.

Obviously, just because the Ilitches say they will undertake all of this ancillary development, doesn't mean they actually will. After all, they don't do anything unless it's with someone else's money. See: Detroit Life Building [[renovation was announced nearly 10 years ago. It still sits vacant.)

At some point, something will happen to it. One has to believe it is in better shape than the Broderick, but far from as good as the David Whitney, both of which are nearby with one renovated and the other on it's way. Whether it's Ilitch, or someone like Gilbert who steps in.

Vacant buildings are being gobbled up downtown, with only a handful remaining, and as rents continue to climb, this trend should continue. Relatively speaking, the UA has to be in about the best shape out of them all. The Wurlitzer and Metropolitan are well documented to both be in terrible condition, and the Park Avenue Building nearby has been open to the elements for the last 20 years. The UA at least has been closed up [[for the most part).

I've been told by a contractor who worked there that the office tower doesn't mirror the theater in terms of condition. It is in far better shape, and it was mostly the plaster work that was shot in the theater anyway.

After seeing article after article showing the map of the arena, along with talking to people in the construction industry, it sounds an awful lot like anything near the arena will be torn down [[including the former Hotel Eddystone and Salvation Army HLC). What gets built around it is anybody's guess.

So that leaves all of the buildings to the south of I-75 for possible renovations. One Free Press article claimed that the building across Cass from the GAR would be the 'hotel.' But that was written by John Gallagher, and his articles tend to be laden with inaccuracies [[I can't even find it now anyway). That building fits more as an office building anyway, given there is nothing unique about it at all.

I don't know what the likelihood is that the UA gets renovated anytime soon, but it definitely has the architectural charm of a hotel. I don't see anyone other than Ilitch redeveloping this building. A number of downtown business owners have offered to buy and renovate buildings from the Ilitch family [[Jerry Belanger, owner of Park Bar recently stated at a city council hearing that he has), but the Ilitches refuse to sell anything.

It is just a matter of time until prices get to the point where the Ilitches are swayed to either renovate the building or sell it…

i think those lights have been on for a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    i think those lights have been on for a long time...
    They are on and off. Some days on, others off.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The Ilitches have said that their 'entertainment district' will include a hotel, residential development, office space and more… That said, the district lines are peculiarly drawn around the UA building.
    Totally agree with the rest of your comments, but I'm not sure what you meant by this last statement? Both the Statler and Tuller/UA blocks are included in the Arena development area...

The north wall of the old bank survived the 1960's remodel...white marble and appears to be in good condition. The elaborate ceiling was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    But that was written by John Gallagher, and his articles tend to be laden with inaccuracies
    Cheap shot. He's an excellent, veteran journalist.

Personally, I'd love to see the theater portion of the building brought back to it's old glory and outfitted with the latest IMAX technology. Then, since the Tuller is gone and most of the remaining block is empty, build an addition to hug the original UA complex with another 5-10 screens. Detroit would have an Emagine-style large cinemaplex right downtown showing first run and IMAX films.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see the theater portion of the building brought back to it's old glory and outfitted with the latest IMAX technology. Then, since the Tuller is gone and most of the remaining block is empty, build an addition to hug the original UA complex with another 5-10 screens. Detroit would have an Emagine-style large cinemaplex right downtown showing first run and IMAX films.
    I like that idea, and it's feasible.

Bucket I like the way you think. I only wish that my memories of what the UA had been in my youth were still vivid. But I do recall an adolescent's sense of wonder and awe about the theater. I love that old movie palace carcass almost as much as Gistok does. Architectural renovations are magical accomplishments, so I echo your sentiments - why not a restored and re-splendid UA? But wouldn't an IMAX screen of any of the various sizes take away from the restoration of the rest of the auditorium? I recall that architectural allowances had to be made when the screen was super sized for the inauguration of 70mm roadshow presentations. The scares made were covered up by drapery as I recall??? Also, the future of theatrical releases is still up in the air, now that the youngsters are willing to watch a movie on their wrist watches. So maybe a multiplex scenario wouldn't be practical. Still, the ghosts in that auditorium will welcome new films to haunt, and I can only hope that I live long enough to purchase a ticket for - whatever - and sit in that palace once again.

Nice sentiment Vitalis! Unfortunately your reminiscence about the theatre [[which I had never experienced) was decades after the theatre surfaces were painted a flat matte color [[trying to hide the old style), that no longer showed the 2 dimensional ashlar block side walls and "Rajastan" murals. So what was seen in the 1950s and later was just the 3 dimensional subdued ornate plasterwork.

Originally the theatre had almost an atmospheric effect, that was more pronounced in the Detroit and Chicago [[razed 1990) UA Theatres than the Los Angeles one. The Detroit UA was called the "Jewel Box" for a reason... it had sumptuous architectural plasterwork, and painted surfaces that resembled stonework, terra cotta and burnished metal.

I don't think that a color image of the pre 1950s fully painted Detroit UA survives. However this 1980s image of the still fully colorful smaller [[and slightly less ornate) Chicago UA shows what a gem the Detroit UA once was... with colored cove lighting highlighting the gem-like quality of the ornate plasterwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; December-07-13 at 05:38 PM.

When did the United Artist finally closed it's door?

It was in 1972... the year that AAA moved their HQ out of the building and to Dearborn. It would be nice if they too moved back... not necessarily to this building, but to Detroit.

The UA Building is a hodgepodge of styles. 3 of the 4 sides are from 1928, the 4th side [[facing Adams) was added in the 1930s in a more modern style... prior to that this 4th side of the building was a blank wall. Also the first 5 floors were modernized [[regrettably) in the 1950s... and the side facing Clifford has been shorn of its' bricks... some by weather... others for safety.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-07-13 at 08:51 PM.