Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Not really, because the situation with the Compuware building is temporary, and probably the Madison building as well, are temporary. They're still going for a proper HQ.
    Why would they buy a property for a temporary home? Seems like it would make a lot more sense to lease.

Also, I thought there was some kind of rumor that at least part of the UAT was going to be used for some type of govt offices.

Gilbert and his associates have always stated that other affiliates and companies that do busimess with Quicken will be encouraged to move downtown. The Madison/UAStatler/Tuller properties are essentially two blocks away so the location makes sense. If the owners of the Madison want to sell it is probably a deal that Quicken can't pass up and they can't refuse. Remember, the upper floors of the Madison have been empty and unfinished. If there are any plans for the UA this shouldn't be a major issue. Remember, Ford Mtr and Henry Ford "encouraged" business partners and their bank, Manufacturer's to move to Ren Cen.
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-11-10 at 11:20 PM.

Agreed Detroitbob... plus the Madison Building, even with the expansion [[when they razed the auditorium) is not very large. If they put 400 people into that building it will be a tight fit.

And that building is great because there's no waiting for someone to move out... and it doesn't require remodeling... just finishing off.

I wonder if the the parking lot [[site of the rest of the former Madison auditorium) is included in this sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Agreed Detroitbob... plus the Madison Building, even with the expansion [[when they razed the auditorium) is not very large. If they put 400 people into that building it will be a tight fit.

And that building is great because there's no waiting for someone to move out... and it doesn't require remodeling... just finishing off.

I wonder if the the parking lot [[site of the rest of the former Madison auditorium) is included in this sale?
    Ought to help out my favorite Italian place, Angelina's Bistro!

Yes, welcome TheKage!!

That other thread will give you more information about the UA than you ever dreamed of! All except the $64,000 question... why is it being rehabbed??
    Am I missing an obvious joke here? That link is the first page of this very thread....

I suppose the rest of the plot, and possibly the Tuller site, will be converted in muti story parking garage? Here's another person who made the Quicken Loan/ United artists connection. Read the comment of "rbdetsport" [[Edit: He's a D'Yes forum resident, so he might have picked up that info right here.) I wonder what the plans would be with the Madison building.

Rumours... even in 2007.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-12-10 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Am I missing an obvious joke here? That link is the first page of this very thread....
    No, no joke.... Posts #415-#423 were originally part of a new United Artists Theatre thread opened last week. Lowell merged those to the end of this thread. So originally another thread linked to this thread... now it looks silly because it apears that this thread is linking to itself.

was just looking at the new google satellite maps and saw that the roof on the UA looks brand new! almost as good as the Fillmore and Fox...I remember looking last year at the satellite images of the UA that were taken maybe in 07? and it was full of holes and other nastiness

Also on a sidenote [[not threadjacking I promise) something really bad happened when stitching together the images of MCS on google
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; November-24-10 at 10:11 PM.

mcsdetroitfriend, if you look thru the voluminous United Artists thread, you will find my comments that cranes lifted roofing material 18 stories up to the roof, and also to the theatre roof. The first step for securing the building had to be the roof. This was about 2 years ago.

That was what convinced me that the building would not be demo'ed.

Many of the older images of the United Artists auditorium show light streaming into the auditorium from holes in the roof illuminating the ornate plaster. You will no longer find ANY such images of recent vintage.

And ironically the worst weather damage to the plasterwork was along the flat sidewalls. However the worst damage to the ornate plaster areas was done by scrappers when the building was unsecured.

mcsdetroitfriend, if you look thru the voluminous United Artists thread, you will find my comments that cranes lifted roofing material 18 stories up to the roof, and also to the theatre roof. The first step for securing the building had to be the roof. This was about 2 years ago.

That was what convinced me that the building would not be demo'ed.

Many of the older images of the United Artists auditorium show light streaming into the auditorium from holes in the roof illuminating the ornate plaster. You will no longer find ANY such images of recent vintage.

And ironically the worst weather damage to the plasterwork was along the flat sidewalls. However the worst damage to the ornate plaster areas was done by scrappers when the building was unsecured.
    And now I'm almost positive I read your comments too! I think however in my excitement my brain gave me temporary amnesia so I posted anyway! The UA isn't going anywhere...just a matter of what it will become and when

Old situation: look at the south part of the theater. There are gaps in the roof. The yellow debris chute is not in place.

New situation. The south part is now fully covered. The chute is on the front of the building. [[Confused here. Looks like a dated picture. The chute is gone for quite a while.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-26-10 at 09:52 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Not really, because the situation with the Compuware building is temporary, and probably the Madison building as well, are temporary. They're still going for a proper HQ.
    Quicken signed a five-year lease for the Compuware Building. There is only space in the Compuware Building for 1,700 employees. He now wants to move an additional 2,000 employees Downtown. Since Quicken Loans doesn't have 3,700 employees, I am thinking that a number of that 3,700 is from his other companies.

Mr. Gilbert has said that he is encouraging other businesses, along with Quicken employees, to relocate Downtown as well. Beyond all that, Dan Gilbert has said in a Detroit News article, that;

"We're looking at Detroit space not only for our own team but to attract other businesses," said spokeswoman Paula Silver. "We want to help bring new businesses to the area."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101109/...#ixzz16SZfCw6F
    He is not just cheer leading Downtown, he is promoting it. He is planning on helping streamline companies through the red tape, assisting entrepreneurs with funding, and giving his employees a raise if they move Downtown.

Finally, in his original statements some time ago, he talked about a multi staged plan. Stage one and two were aimed at getting Quicken and his other companies settled in, and then help employees to live in the City. Later stages would then involve helping and encouraging other businesses to relocate from the suburbs, followed by the building of a business incubator for technology based companies, which would bring an additional 1,000 plus people working and living Downtown.

I really am wondering if some of the Quicken folks didn't realize how many vacant buildings Downtown had, when they made that original announcement [[maybe not until the DEGC started showing them their options). Abandoned structures and vacant office space can really drive down the prices of surrounding properties. From a fiscal standpoint, maybe this is the smartest course of action for Quicken.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I really am wondering if some of the Quicken folks didn't realize how many vacant buildings Downtown had, when they made that original announcement [[maybe not until the DEGC started showing them their options). Abandoned structures and vacant office space can really drive down the prices of surrounding properties. From a fiscal standpoint, maybe this is the smartest course of action for Quicken.
    Whatever Quicken does, I hope they do it big, do it soon, and get it done cheap. That will really set a precedent for luring other companies here. Detroit's best asset is that it is one of the most recognized cities in the world yet has bottom-barrel real estate prices. That's an attractive combo. I think if Gilbert really makes bringing businesses to Detroit his life's mission, he will be well-remembered and beloved by the people of SE Michigan. This region is looking for a hero. Gilbert could be to Detroit what Lee Iacocca was to Chrysler- if that's what he wants to be. Eventually, someone is going to rise to the occasion, and they will be a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Whatever Quicken does, I hope they do it big, do it soon, and get it done cheap. That will really set a precedent for luring other companies here. Detroit's best asset is that it is one of the most recognized cities in the world yet has bottom-barrel real estate prices. That's an attractive combo. I think if Gilbert really makes bringing businesses to Detroit his life's mission, he will be well-remembered and beloved by the people of SE Michigan. This region is looking for a hero. Gilbert could be to Detroit what Lee Iacocca was to Chrysler- if that's what he wants to be. Eventually, someone is going to rise to the occasion, and they will be a legend.
    I hope they do it big, but not "CHEAP"...what every he and his companies pull off will be significant new construction in addition to historic restoration of a significant nature and I do mean significant if they restore the United Artists or move into a restored United Artists building...think Fox Theatre and Office building restoration and adaption. To date the auditorium restoration downtown has been top notch...even at the Fillmore...slow and steady and methodic. If the UA Theatre is restored I predict it will be top rate.

Please.... No more cheap glass palaces like Deloitte.At least make a lasting impression on the city. The Hudson's plot is still an empty wilderness, with parking no less, but nothing is happening there. If you build your office there you could even make a sky bridge to the Compuware building. And it finally brings Woodward it's badly needed second facade.

Oh, I didn't mean cheap as in poorly done... I just meant cheap as in at a price that opens the eyes of other companies who realize that buying a beautiful historic building downtown is cheaper than building another generic 4-story glass and concrete building in some other place. Even Dan Gilbert stated that he was going to get a downtown building for less than half of what it would cost in another major city. I think the "Detroit" name still has a lot of value in the international business world.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean cheap as in poorly done... I just meant cheap as in at a price that opens the eyes of other companies who realize that buying a beautiful historic building downtown is cheaper than building another generic 4-story glass and concrete building in some other place. Even Dan Gilbert stated that he was going to get a downtown building for less than half of what it would cost in another major city. I think the "Detroit" name still has a lot of value in the international business world.
    Agreed...and with incentives to bring and expand his operation downtown, everyone benefits...as I have stated before, I firmly believe I will walk into a restored UA auditorium. Just a matter of when.

I was in attendance of yesterday afternoon's matinee of "The Nutcracker" at the Detroit Opera House. The former Capitol Theatre/Detroit Opera House is beautiful. If anything gives me hope for the UA, it is the beautiful restoration/rehabilitation job that was done on this 1922 C Howard Crane classic. Brought back from the depths, it is a historic masterpiece!

New video found!! This was uploaded two weeks ago.
    Cholly "Pops" Atkins and the Detroit Band DC Drive hanging out during the making of the video "You Need Love" in '91, Spaghetti Dinner at the Pastoria house with Pops and legendary record producer Vini Poncia and friends part 4
    DC Drive is: Joey Bowen, Mark Pastoria, Brian Pastoria, Doug Kahan, Michael Romeo, Jimmy Romeo.
    Video made 1991 United Artists Theatre, Detroit MI featuring Cholly "Pops" Atkins. Directed by Stewart Shevin
    Song Produced by Vini Poncia
    Special guests, Vini Poncia, Alfredo Scotti, David Pastoria, David Bernas, Frank Rand, Maurice King, Tim Trombley
    [[Wikilink for Atkins I added.)

I won't bother you with the run-up to the actual shooting of the video, which is al cookery stuff and such, it really becomes interesting in part 6 of the movie.

Which is this!

More interior shots in part 7. Incredible shots of a book reading Indian. That's gone?

Part 8, the actual shooting of the music clip. More interior shots.

The actual video has been posted in this forum before, nice to see how things got going back then.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-29-10 at 03:31 PM.

Furthermore I found this article. Perhaps some of you can decypher all this.

The article refers to the downtown theater operators staggering the opening days of new films, i.e. at one point Wednesday was the new day for films to go on screen. It appears that the theater's were trying to maximize the opening so new films would be opening several times a week instead of all on a specific day. Remember, downtown was a busy, active area and as an example, Wednesday was known as "ladies day" with special matinee prices and times. I can remember .75c prices at the Michigan on Wednesdays for ladies and children from opening [[usually 11am) to 5 or 6 pm. For my mother and her friends, shopping at Hudson's, Crowley Milner and Kern's and lunch would be usually followed by a late matinee at the Michigan.

Video 1 of the series is a stand-alone documentary of the impact Cholly Atkins had on Motown acts. Virtually all the dancing those stars did was choreographed by Atkins.

I made a screenshot of one of the clips above.

Is that indian gone now?

Thanks for the links Whitehouse... one of those images is of the Los Angeles UA Theatre...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...o.314726554603

This auditorium image of what is a church today shows some modernization in the back of the auditorium, as well as the removal of some seats. But you can see the many nice interior colors of the auditorium interior shows why the Detroit United Artists was called "Detroit's Jewel Box".

Some more info on the Detroit United Artists Theatre....

The Detroit United Artists was one of only 3 standalone UA theatres built in the USA in the 1920s [[some other theatres later shared Marquee billing between the United Artists and Loew's... the parent theatre corporation of MGM Studios).

In the 1930s United Artists sold the Detroit UA to United Detroit Theatres Corp. Several other downtown palaces also ended up as property of United Detroit Theatres.

In 1950 United Artists bought the Detroit UA back from United Detroit Theatres. They closed the theatre for several months and spent $200,000 in upgrades. They installed a new marquee [[the vertical marquee was removed), and for several months scaffolding was installed throughout the theater to repaint the surfaces.

All the fancy plasterwork had its' "stone", "metal" and "terra cotta" faux finishes painted over in a flat bland paint scheme. Even the "Rajastan" Indian murals on the upper sidewalls were painted over. The Tromphe l'oeil [[fool the eye) medieval stone ashlar blocks of the side walls were also painted over to tame down the flat side walls of the theatre. And the colorful lighting was replaced by white lights to tame the fancy effect down even more.

In 1956, when the movie Oklahoma was released in 70mm, a much wider screen was installed in the UA. This wide screen required part of the Procenium arch on either side of the stage to have part of the fancy Procenium plasterwork cut out [[this is still visibly missing today).

Also the very fancy organ grilles and procenium arch were partly covered in drapery [[those drapes remained until the theatre was re-roofed and cleared of rubble 2 years ago). One of the least intrusive [[architecturally wise) ways to hide the old fancy plasterwork in old theatres was to use huge sections of drapery. This was very common in the 1950, and it was a cheap way to remodel. The theatre owners used to boast.... "look at all the expense we went thru, so that you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore!".

Luckily this form of remodeling didn't destroy any of the ornate detailing behind the drapery... and in many theatres makes future restorations of old surfaces much easier [[a preservationists dream scenario!).

Here is an example of the Detroit United Artists side walls before the bland repainting of the theatre in 1950. Note: the walls look like real medieval stonework, but are actually flat. Sadly, although the Spanish Gothic details survive, the 2 monks were ripped out by scrappers.. Although the major architectural detailing in most of the theatre survives... the flat side walls received the most damage. Restoring flat plaster walls are a rather easy fix during a restoration...

Gistok,
    This website wouldn't be nearly as interesting without your knowledge and contributions about Detroit's rich theatre history. Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast