Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default United Artist Update

The yellow tube and dumpsters have been removed, and it appears work has slowed. This week I only caught a glimpse of one construction vehicle parked outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    ...we will likely be left with a display case in some renovated or brand spanking new hallway, where photos of an old movie palace and a few fragments or artifacts of the former theater will be on view for Gistok and the rest of us.
    Nothing like optimism...

According to my family, there's a photo of the United Artists on display in Grand Rapids as part of the Art Prize competition.

This one I didn't see before. A Japanes WWII sub on tour passing the UA theater. Tuller Hotel in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlaina View Post
    According to my family, there's a photo of the United Artists on display in Grand Rapids as part of the Art Prize competition.
    Kimberlaina, are you sure it's not that photographer who took photos of Detroit's ruins, the auditorium of the UA among them, and his work became a traveling show? My major complaint of his work is that he only wanted to show the bad stuff, and not bother with the good stuff [[likely to give his show more shock value than anything else).

If it's that guy and his show... he posted here recently, but didn't get a really great reception, with some justification.

And in the future when something happens on that block of Bagley Avenue, we will likely be left with a display case in some renovated or brand spanking new hallway, where photos of an old movie palace and a few fragments or artifacts of the former theater will be on view for Gistok and the rest of us.
    Ummm.... the Ilitch's don't do "remnants".... it's either raze or restore/renovate....

I doubt that the auditorium would have had a new roof put on it, cleaned out, and the side walls remediated of debris and rubble.... if "something" wasn't planned... or if it's just to mothball it [[although the Ilitch's don't do "mothballing" real well either). Although what purpose that space would be used for is anybody's guess.

The Theatre Historical Society of Elmhurst IL is aware of the fact that "something is happening there"... but is mum on the subject.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-02-10 at 10:26 PM.

So it's nice to see a more detailed photo of the rotunda lobby [[even in the sad state it was in, it was gorgeous) which I understand was used to help mask the angle of the auditorium from the lobby, but is there any imagery of the original main lobby from the building front entrance? even if it's just a plain hallway I'd still love to see it as I have no idea what it looks like.

Sorry lingramid, I cannot seem to find any pics of the outer lobby. The only images I have found so far was in the Arcadia book.... "Detroit's Downtown Movie Palaces"... where on page 101 they show the Outer Lobby looking towards the entrance [[showing the 1950s dull flat paint repainting of the ornate plasterwork) and on page 94 they show the Outer Lobby looking towards the Rotunda Lobby [[with the original 1928 richly gilded paintwork of the ornate plasterwork).

Since it is copyrighted, I cannot reshow it here.... find your nearest bookstore and check out those page of this particular Arcadia book. It shows other images of the older richly painted UA plasterwork [[with the flat auditorium sidewalls painted as "tromphe l'oeil" ashlar blocks)... as well as later 1950s remodeling with flat paint making the theatre look much tamer.

Strange, the Wikipage mentions that the Ilich Holding has been marketing the building "jointly with the city-owned Statler Hotel. That's 2006. The hotel was demolished in 2005... Also.the buidlding was in commercial use but that residential use is purposed.

To help you with the book Gistok mentioned, this is the Amazon link.There are some pages revealed from the book, so you get an idea of what to expect.

I search the database of the WSU for pictures and something puzzles me. There's an enormous ammount of pictures from the Michigan Theater compared to pictures of the UA [[only the submarine pic). Why is that? Was the Michigan such a bigger eye catcher in it's heydays?

Myspace.
    Facebook
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-03-10 at 02:28 PM.

Gistok, I don't know anything about the Art Prize photo except that it was there. My parents picked up the photographer's card, so I can check in a few days who it was. It may well have been the Detroit ruins photographer. I didn't see it for myself -- my parents recognized it from all the times I had forced them to check out pics of the UA

Thanks for the info! I am going to get that book. Too bad no place stocks it here in Chicago. I guess I was curious to know if it was ornate at all w/ vaulted ceilings or more minimized like what you find in an office building?

Quote Originally Posted by lingramid View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am going to get that book. Too bad no place stocks it here in Chicago. I guess I was curious to know if it was ornate at all w/ vaulted ceilings or more minimized like what you find in an office building?
    Lingramid, the walls of the outer lobby contain pointed arch mirrors with a profusion of fancy plasterwork. The highly ornate plasterwork detailing surrounding the entrance wall and theatre wall mirrors are reminiscent of the fancy terra cotta exterior of the Detroit Fox Building. However, the images do not show the ceiling details.

I have an mpeg for the world premiere of "Anatomy of a Murder," which took place at the UA back in July of 1959. Apparently I cannot attach such a file - true?

True though if you search on Archives.com you can find it

I have an mpeg for the world premiere of "Anatomy of a Murder," which took place at the UA back in July of 1959. Apparently I cannot attach such a file - true?
    Already on youtube.

I did find some pictures I haven't seen before down from the basement of Flickr. These were posted in 2005. The colors are stunning!

The balcony.

Ceiling.

The fire escape.

And as bonus a last salute for the neighbor, the sadly missed Statler hotel.

More pictures Here.
    WWW.SNWEB.ORG
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-05-10 at 08:01 PM.

Crazy how you can almost see the plaster melting in those pics. That looks like the same photographer who posted pics of the inside of the organ grilles on Flickr. Those are some of my favorites.

well now that i know what i'm looking for it's been easier to understand a lot of images on flickr. Is this part of the outer lobby?

Quote Originally Posted by lingramid View Post
    well now that i know what i'm looking for it's been easier to understand a lot of images on flickr. Is this part of the outer lobby?
    Actually... no that's not it. IIRC that space is a foyer between the outer lobby and the inner rotunda lobby. The pointed window/mirrors are exactly the same as the larger and wider outer lobby, but there are no fancy fan vaults towards the ceiling of the outer lobby. Are there any other images in that series on Flickr?

yes - but not that many. It's from Allen M's collection. Wish we had higher resolution of these.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=united&w=50142821%40N00

Also Gistok, do you know why they made a second projection room on the lower balcony/mezzanine?

Aren't the Indian maidens in the outer lobby?

In 1950 the theatre ownership changed from United Detroit Theatres back to United Artists Theatres. They spent $200,000 to remodel the place... that remodeling included a new much wider screen, which accounts for the missing sections of ornate plaster on either side of the Procenium Arch that frames the stage.

Also included in that remodeling was a dull flat paint job [[so that the walls no longer looked like medieval ashlar stone walls), and new projection and sound equipment. That was also when they likely added those ugly beige curtains to hide the ornate parts of the stage, as well as the organ grilles on either side... "so you won't have to look at all that old stuff anymore" they would boast. Those tattered curtains remained until recently when the auditorium was cleared of rubble.

The Indian Maidens were found throughout the theatre... in the auditorium, rotunda lobby and outer lobbies. In the auditorium there were also some busts of monks [[a strange combination to have with Indian Maidens).

And in the auditorium dome were found a circle of angels.... the remains of which can be seen here [[luckily enough intact ones remain so that any potential restoration would require taking molds of the survivors to recreate those missing ones... should that option ever happen)....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanm/...n/photostream/

And as I already mentioned, the most ruinous part of the theatre is the rotunda lobby....

This Maiden looks more like a Madonna....

Originally these plaster surfaces had gilded or burnished metal type paintwork, and colorful gem-like cove lighting. The 1950 renovation muted all the surfaces to a dull finish. But with all of these glimpses of the very ornate details in the plasterwork... we still have some idea why this theatre was called "Detroit's Jewel Box".
    Last edited by Gistok; October-07-10 at 12:26 AM.

The LA UA is the closest anyone will find to a close but not identical color scheme. The late Chicago UA "felt" like Detroit auditorium wise. As I have stated before we will see this room restored and I believe it will be a creditable job. The amount of money expended on the entire structure does not equate to demolition.

Detroitbob, yes the Los Angeles is the closest to the Detroit UA. One thing I like better in the Detroit UA than the Los Angeles UA is that the LA theatre looks more "cave Gothic"... more stalagtite like... "less "crisp" in the Gothic design that the Detroit UA does. In fact the best description is that the LA theatre is more "Churrigueresque" like [[the architecture almost dissolves in front of your eyes) than the Detroit UA.

They don't have the Indian Maidens or other details that the Detroit UA has. From what I've read [[United Artists co-owner) Mary Pickford wanted some of her own stylistic touches in the Los Angeles UA. The lobbies are completely different, for example.

As for the Detroit UA being restored... the best news for the auditorium is that the worst damage is to the flat surface areas. We'll just have to wait and see....

Seems like few folks are up early - or late - depending on you point of view. So, Gary, any truth to the rumor that the UA will become the reused part of a new downtown hockey/Bball complex? The Tuller becomes the playing surface with suites being built from the old UA.

That would explain the recurring people mover stop rumors as well.

Wow, Gnome, I never heard that one before. That would be very interesting. Same use as Ford Field with the warehouse suites. Seems like an awfully small footprint, though.

Stromberg2

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast