Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bomb Unit near Rosa Parks Bus Terminal

The Detroit Police bomb squad in posted on Bagley and several streets are closed in a perimeter around the Rosa Parks bus terminal and adjacent People Mover stop. All buses and people are gone form bus station.

It is not clear what the purpose, the only rumor we have heard is it was People Mover related.

We did hear one very loud explosion-like sound around 10:30 but nobody on the street including the bomb squad reacted with any alarm.

Oh I hope it is a false alarm.

I hope everthing is alright. I think they have a minimum amount of times they have to play "Bomb Squad" every year. It's probably just another backpack filled with a bum's clothing.

Those are some pretty nice looking vehicles. When did the bomb squad get so classy?

Detroit's People Mover service restored after suspicious package scare

Detroit — Authorities investigated a suspicious package near the People Mover, prompting a brief service delay Monday morning.
    The Detroit Fire Department was on scene at the Times Square Station, which is at Grand River between Cass Avenue and Washington Boulevard. Around 10:20 a.m., an explosion could be heard as authorities detonated the package with a disruptor.
    Service was restored around 11 a.m. after the all clear was given.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2jhePKhHb

False alarm. It was reaction to a suspicious package at the People Mover station.
    WDIV

Straight out of "The Hurt Locker".

downtownguy
    Those are some pretty nice looking vehicles. When did the bomb squad get so classy?
    Just curious, but when was the last time a bomb was actually planted somewhere in Detroit/SeM. I mean when was the last time the bomb squad was actually called to address a legit, actual bomb?

wouldn't this be one of the many redundant, superfluous things that could probably be done just as well by State troopers? Or a multi county Sheriff collaboration? Does DPD really need dedicated EOD personnel and resources?

...or is this the result of having money thrown at them from DHS?
    Last edited by bailey; November-04-13 at 03:46 PM.

My guess is that the shiny new bomb squad vehicles and bomb suits are Homeland Security funded with little actual CofD dollars. A lot of money is getting thrown around, some say aimlessly and excessively, in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Straight out of "The Hurt Locker".

With all this gear you think he could at least have a pair of of Gloves?