Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Look Inside Downtown's Bagger Dave's- Open Nov 10

Downtown Detroit's Bagger Dave's Legendary Burgers is all set to open on November 10, on time for the parade. If you've been to a Bagger Dave's before[[I've been to the Berkley and Bloomfield Hills locations), just know that this looks like it'll be the headliner location, with the signature train going thru the restaurant, and a private space just for parties. Very excited!
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...n-bagger-daves

they actually have really good burgers there .. doesn't touch Mercury bar.. but still.. damn good burgers

I'm excited for this. Big fan of BD's and another lunch spot near work. Hope they do well! Upstairs looks like a pretty neat spot. Wonder if it will be open all the time, or only during peak hours.

Is the opening day by invite-only or can anyone stop in?

What? no posts about how suburban chain restaurants are ruining the gritty,real detroit with their presence?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    What? no posts about how suburban chain restaurants are ruining the gritty,real detroit with their presence?
    No because if there's one thing downtown desperately needed it's a place where you can get a burger & a beer.

I'm all over their Peanut Butter, Honey & Banana grilled sandwich and sweet potato chips.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    No because if there's one thing downtown desperately needed it's a place where you can get a burger & a beer.

I resent any self described famous burger restaurant that refuses to cook to temperature. I recently stopped at the Ann Arbor location and order a burger medium rare and was informed that the government doesn't allow any hamburgers to be cooked other than well done. Now, I spent some 20 years in the restaurant business and decided to discuss this the the "manager" who declined to come out of his hiding place, letting a young 20 something waitress answer. I decided not to get into a discussion with her suggested that her manager was simply enforcing a company policy dictated by a lawyer. If the company purchases meat from a reputable source or grinds their own blend on site, any risk is slim. In addition, the disclaimer on the menu about undercooked product suffices. There is no burger police out there. I wish I could remember how many MR Normandie Bar, Woodward Bar or Mercury Bar [[among other) burgers I have consumed over the years with no ill effects. So, I will visit BD downtown to see what they have done with the building but won't order a burger. Off to the Mercury for a MR cheddar with grilled onions.
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-03-13 at 05:30 AM.

Medium-well is the least cooked I would go on hamburger. However, I'll take my stakes medium. My father-in-law always goes rare, MOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I resent any self described famous burger restaurant that refuses to cook to temperature. I recently stopped at the Ann Arbor location and order a burger medium rare and was informed that the government doesn't allow any hamburgers to be cooked other than well done. Now, I spent some 20 years in the restaurant business and decided to discuss this the the "manager" who declined to come out of his hiding place, letting a young 20 something waitress answer. I decided not to get into a discussion with her suggested that her manager was simply enforcing a company policy dictated by a lawyer. If the company purchases meat from a reputable source or grinds their own blend on site, any risk is slim. In addition, the disclaimer on the menu about undercooked product suffices. There is no burger police out there. I wish I could remember how many MR Normandie Bar, Woodward Bar or Mercury Bar [[among other) burgers I have consumed over the years with no ill effects. So, I will visit BD downtown to see what they have done with the building but won't order a burger. Off to the Mercury for a MR cheddar with grilled onions.
    I fully suppotr Bagger Daves. Mercury has good burgers. but there is nothing wrong with having a chain restaurant that cook only medium to well done burgers. Does anyone knows when Pot Belly and Starbucks will open at Campus Martius?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGuy76 View Post
    I'm all over their Peanut Butter, Honey & Banana grilled sandwich and sweet potato chips.
    PBH&B-- is that a good combo?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I resent any self described famous burger restaurant that refuses to cook to temperature....
    We tried Bagger Dave's in Berkley when they opened a few years back...have not returned since. As ones who always order our burgers medium rare, we found the BD burger overcooked and not very tasty. Since there are plenty of good burger places around to satisfy our tastes, we probably will not try the new BD's downtown location for a burger, but will likely stop in for some sweet potato fries and mac & cheese just to see how they have transformed the building!

Millers Bar in Dearborn...nuff said.

Nice looking space! Hope this shows what can be done with these fine old buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    We tried Bagger Dave's in Berkley when they opened a few years back...have not returned since. As ones who always order our burgers medium rare, we found the BD burger overcooked and not very tasty. Since there are plenty of good burger places around to satisfy our tastes, we probably will not try the new BD's downtown location for a burger, but will likely stop in for some sweet potato fries and mac & cheese just to see how they have transformed the building!
    Agreed...you can use the best blend of meat, short rib, prime rib etc. and destroy any flavor by cooking medium well. The cheese and any toppings should enhance the burger, not become the flavor of a dry overcooked patty.

There was talk early on the parent company moving from Southfield to the Masonic/Buffalo Wild Wings building. Is that still in the cards, or have they completely scrapped the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    There was talk early on the parent company moving from Southfield to the Masonic/Buffalo Wild Wings building. Is that still in the cards, or have they completely scrapped the plan?
    Scrapped a while back, supposedly due to the overwhelming success of Wild Wings...the extra space for offices could be used for other purposes. Actually, I think parking was the issue.

Seven brothers does the Same. IT IS NOT against having burgers cooked on well done. I Have mine Medium-Rare and have never been turned down except at Seven Brothers. Wont eat there again, plus the buns taste like Wonder Bread. YUK!

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Average at best.
    You forgot to add "way overpriced".

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Absolutely LOVE Miller's! Whenever we fly into Metro on a visit that's always our 1st stop. May be some better burgers but you add the 50's old bar atmosphere, sit at the bar with the bowl of pickles, slab of raw onion and a cold one, it can't be beat. Always have to replenish my Miller's t-shirt stock too.

I used to love Miller's. My grandpa always took me there and I grew up loving the novelty of the honor system, and telling the bartender what we had and being trusted like I was an adult. Then I realized that it's part of a "golden era" that wasn't at all golden.

Twice now, I've heard people say the word "nigger" there and no one seemed to have the slightest interest in correcting the person that said it other than me, including the bartender that heard it [[I always sit at the bar these days). So I had to let the other patron have it each time. The first time I chalked it up to no one really hearing it, but the second time there was no mistaking what happened.

Couple that with the "those people are moving this way" type statements and things like that, and I will never eat there again, and always encourage others to avoid the place whenever it comes up.

I use to get my hair cut there for YEARS !! , since I was a little kid.
    I like what they've done with the place and looking forward to seeing it in person!
    BTW the guy that cuts my hair moved from there to the Michigan theater building ,so it close ! :-)

Not too surprising, but opening is delayed
    http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...owntown_d.html

Someone in city gov probably had gotten paid off to prolonge the opening of the restaurant or this is the "pay to play" pardon shot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast