Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Detroit in 1989

Just this weekend, I've started a spin-off project from this one that simulates the area of downtown extending from the river north to just south of Adams Street and from 1st Street eastward to just east of Beaubien Street as it appeared on October 2, 1989, the same date as my other model, using this model as the base.

Like my other project, it will also be mostly accurate [[with artistic license), right down to the exact placement of most businesses then, including the restaurants mentioned in this thread and some fictional places. Yes, the old Hudson's store [[although the Dayton-Hudson Corporation would sell it just two months later) is still there in this model, as well as Cobo Center's recently-completed expansion.

In addition, like my other project, DDOT and SMART buses will be included, although I'm still unsure how SMART's buses appeared as of October 1989, so they will still be given the "Red Green treatment".

Also, like my other project thread, the goal of this one is you sharing your memories of what downtown was like in the fall of '89 [[specifically below Adams and between 1st and just east of Beaubien).

And so, I conclude this post with this screenshot, this one is of an intersection all coney fans will recognize:

That is a large area to document! Cool project though. The only thing I could provide is traffic light layouts, LOL!

I witnessed a shooting at Dagwoods from about 7' away in the winter of 89 on the corner of Cass and Bagley, not sure if that fits in with your project. Im sure I've told that story here on Dyes before but probably years ago at its start. Im not sure what kind of stories your after.

I'm not familiar with your older projects, is there a link you can give us? That might be some help as to finding what your medium is like, and satisfy my curiosity.

Downtown Detroit in 1989 was at its worst. Just years after J.L. Hudson Flagship Store closed. Business along the Woodward corridor beginning to close fast. There's nothing that Coleman Young can do to save Detroit. Regional investors were not insterested in a majority black city filled with everyday violent crimes. Young was getting old and approaching bad health and still cussing white people for leaving the city and hitting 8 Mile Rd. When he left office in 1993. Dennis Archer had to clean his mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I'm not familiar with your older projects, is there a link you can give us? That might be some help as to finding what your medium is like, and satisfy my curiosity.
    I did provide a link above, it's in the very first sentence.

The Fox Theater was rehabbed in 1988 by Mike Illitch. It was a first start for his plan to an entertainment and sports venues in his " Foxtown" building project.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Downtown Detroit in 1989 was at its worst. Just years after J.L. Hudson Flagship Store closed. Business along the Woodward corridor beginning to close fast. There's nothing that Coleman Young can do to save Detroit. Regional investors were not insterested in a majority black city filled with everyday violent crimes. Young was getting old and approaching bad health and still cussing white people for leaving the city and hitting 8 Mile Rd. When he left office in 1993. Dennis Archer had to clean his mess.
    In 1989 there still was quite a bit of retail on Woodward in the CBD. There was also quite a bit more retail in the RenCen as opposed to now, as well as in Trappers Alley. The CBD was able to support two Winkleman's, two Perry Drugs, and three Sibley shoes. In addition there were quite a few fast food places that have long gone including Little Caeser's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Hardees, McDonalds, Sander's, Schnelli's, Otto's to name a few. The Broadway/Randolph area was bustling with men's clothing stores. It was hardly at its worst.

DetroitPlanner--that was our summer of "Lawrence of Arabia"--you were there then, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In 1989 there still was quite a bit of retail on Woodward in the CBD. There was also quite a bit more retail in the RenCen as opposed to now, as well as in Trappers Alley. The CBD was able to support two Winkleman's, two Perry Drugs, and three Sibley shoes. In addition there were quite a few fast food places that have long gone including Little Caeser's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Hardees, McDonalds, Sander's, Schnelli's, Otto's to name a few. The Broadway/Randolph area was bustling with men's clothing stores. It was hardly at its worst.
    Not to mention downtown was still home to several bank HQs.

Though I can see why a white suburbanite would think it was dead. I actualy heard someone say their grandma [[who moved to the suburbs after the riot) thinks Detroit was dead since the riots.

But for the black middle class, Detroit was a decent place to be in the 80s and 90s.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-01-13 at 04:31 PM.

I would love to see what retail stores were left on Woodward in 1989. I had thought that Sanders was closed in 1989. Winklemans closed on Woodward in 1996. Am I correct?

The worst era for Downtown Detroit is probably the time between the closure of Hudson's in 1983-1986 and the construction of the Compuware building in 2003. While, at least symbolically, 1998, the year of the demolition of Hudson's, stands out as the worst of the worst. It could be said the dark ages for Downtown Detroit are a full two decades, 1983-2003. As for the city as a whole? Have we reached the bottom yet?
    Last edited by casscorridor; November-01-13 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The worst era for Downtown Detroit is probably the time between the closure of Hudson's in 1983-1986 and the construction of the Compuware building in 2003. While, at least symbolically, 1998, the year of the demolition of Hudson's, stands out as the worst of the worst. It could be said the dark ages for Downtown Detroit are a full two decades, 1983-2003. As for the city as a whole? Have we reached the bottom yet?
    1995 [[when National Bank of Detroit merged with First National Bank of Chicago) to 1996 [[when GM brought the Renaissance Center) sounds about right, if we want to pinpoint an absolute bottom. This is also before all of the abandoned high rises where the stadiums are at were demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    DetroitPlanner--that was our summer of "Lawrence of Arabia"--you were there then, right?
    LOL thats all I am sayin'!

The only thing that downtown is missing is clothing stores especially for women. There are one or two specialty shops but nothing that the average consumer to shop. Ann Taylors Lofts, Dress Barn, and Coldwater Creek would be a sucess downtown. City Target could be sucessful in the New Center One Buildiing. The trend is having more clothing retail in the midtown area. Downtown is becoming a better downtown than it was even back in the 60s and 70s. It just need more clothing retail to be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see what retail stores were left on Woodward in 1989. I had thought that Sanders was closed in 1989. Winklemans closed on Woodward in 1996. Am I correct?
    Actually, according to a document downloaded from another thread, that particular Winkelman's closed in 1987. However, I do know that there was a Winkelman's in the Southgate Shopping Center that was open as recently as 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Actually, according to a document downloaded from another thread, that particular Winkelman's closed in 1987. However, I do know that there was a Winkelman's in the Southgate Shopping Center that was open as recently as 1997.
    No. That Winkleman closed in the 90s.

And to keep this alive, here's two new screenshots.

If you compare the billboard in the last photo with the one in the original post, you may notice a difference.

No, this project isn't dead, as since the last post, I've added more details to extreme lower Woodward Avenue. Here's a People Mover-eye view looking north from Larned Street.

If you notice, to your very right, neither the blue building, the billboard hanging on it or the company who ran that billboard exist today, as One Detroit Center is on that site and Gannett Outdoor is [[through several acquisitions) now CBS Outdoor.

I still need to know what the buildings along the east side of Woodward between Congress and the First National Building appeared in early October 1989.

Fortunately, though, I've discovered face-on buildings of every since-demolished Monroe Block building [[and they're all taken in 1989, in fact!), but they're all black-and-white, so that's the roadblock.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-26-13 at 04:37 PM.

mtburb, did you see the private message I sent you a couple of weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    mtburb, did you see the private message I sent you a couple of weeks ago?
    Yes, I did. Did you see the screenshot with your old "loft" earlier in this thread?

^^ Yes. Did you see me in the window waving at you?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ^^ Yes. Did you see me in the window waving at you?
    Sorry, didn't include you. At least I finally included your theater a few doors up.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    No, this project isn't dead, as since the last post, I've added more details to extreme lower Woodward Avenue. Here's a People Mover-eye view looking north from Larned Street.

If you notice, to your very right, neither the blue building, the billboard hanging on it or the company who ran that billboard exist today, as One Detroit Center is on that site and Gannett Outdoor is [[through several acquisitions) now CBS Outdoor.

I still need to know what the buildings along the east side of Woodward between Congress and the First National Building appeared in early October 1989.

Fortunately, though, I've discovered face-on buildings of every since-demolished Monroe Block building [[and they're all taken in 1989, in fact!), but they're all black-and-white, so that's the roadblock.
    Washington Clothier was in the blue building. I remember AM coney island. There were still plenty of retail on Woodward in 1989 though they were slowly leaving the area. There were even a store that sold Levis jeans in many colors. I wish there were a photo of the strip taken around 1989 or 90