Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Any Reports of Devil's [[Angel's) Night Arson?

Well, has your neighborhood been quiet or have the fire engines been extra busy?

Been listening to the live feed on line since about 6 last night. Been pretty busy all over town. Haven't really been keeping track of numbers, but it definitely seems busier than last year, and busier than a usual night.

Seems super quiet around here. District 5. Did take some precautions though. We have Have lights in our yard on timers and turned our porch light on too. Our car is off the street.

Strangely, we decided to restore our garage that was harmed by an arsonist many years ago. Made sure our roll off bin was removed Tuesday. Didn't want to provide an attractive nuisance.

Delray was quiet last night, at least until 330am when i passed out. Myself and a few other Historic Fort Wayne Coalition members helped patrol the site.

on the scanner tho, I heard all hell breaking loose near Wyoming & Grand River...by my count there were 7 structures going within a 4-block radius of that intersection by 2:45am

seems the same every year; things are generally quiet until the Angels Nite patrol ends at midnite, and there is an explosion of arsons between 2am & 4am when they figure most people have gone to sleep. i would also not be one bit surprised if the arsonists are coordinating by listening to the scanner as well. it just sounds too much like coincidence that all of these houses will get torched simultaneously in the surrounding area of an existing fire.

some other fire scenes i overheard included 14203 Wisconsin, Mack & Alter, 2477 Beals [[twice), 8609 Piedmont [[twice), 8711 Intervale, 745 Algonquin, 4112 Lillibridge, S. Ethel & Schaefer, 3232 Sturtevant, 15512 Indiana, 2901 Fullerton, Lappin & Queen, Glenwood & Queen, 11644 Ward, Piedmont & VanBuren, 606 Marston, 11726 Elmdale, 241 Candler....all of those except one or two were closed out to "disposition 021", which means suspected arson.

the locations i noted for the 2am flare-up near Wyoming/Grd River were: 11666 Auburn, 12210 Washburn, 12127 Kentucky, 10310 Cedarlawn, and Griggs & Aurora. a couple of these were so bad that they had involved neighboring structures. i also overheard plenty of inferences regarding nonfunctioning apparatus, such as Chief 5 requesting at least twice for a ladder truck with a working tower to be sent to his scene on Cedarlawn, and i think Engine 43 not having any line [[manpower only). on the bright[[?) side though...

as i understand it, the department was looking to hire 90 new men, and that ~2,500 applied. let's see if they can piece together some apparatus for them to use...
    Last edited by WaCoTS; October-31-13 at 12:07 PM.

hmm
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013103...0/Angels-Night

"Rash of east-side Detroit fires mars an otherwise quiet Angels' Night, officials say"

am thinking that my time would be better spent patrolling one of these other neighborhoods instead of Fort Wayne...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1176844/original.jpg

hmm...never knew that only Michigan called it Devil's night.

Sad thing is that it's probably only a handful of people or less starting multiple fires.

Nice to see that arsons were greatly reduced from previous years.

I saw nothing on my patrol. Stayed mostly in 28 and 27.

I live half a block away from a station in the Corridor and hear them roar off all the time but didnt notice any surge in them taking calls with sirens going more than any other night. Not much shit like that goes down here in the Corridor anymore though, thankfully.

Very grateful to all who volunteered. Used to do that but now am an armchair cheer leader.

The high wind woke me up and am glad that was not the case last night. Fire fighters have it rough enough without extra obstacles.

Halloween arson fires were reported. There were LOTS of it! Including firebombing at the occupy Detroit family homes. Looks like abandon structures are not just the arsonist's list.

We Detroiters can do better than that.

When I was living at my northwest Detroit neighborhood home, every year I get up in the middle of the night, peak at my living room window, step out of my house, got into my porch and watch for crazy folks. I was ready for them just in case. That's how you take back your street.
    Last edited by Danny; November-01-13 at 03:01 PM.

yeah there were a lot of runs last nite but a large portion of them were false alarms or powerline related. i didnt hear nearly as many fire/arson related runs as on the 30th. and Southwest was quieter as well.