Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WSU's Marwil Bookstore to Close

So what happened? was it simply competition from the WSU/Barnes & Noble store? College textbooks haven't gotten any cheaper over the years, my guess is that the B & N charges about just as much, really.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; October-30-13 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what happened? was it simply competition from the WSU/Barnes & Noble store? College textbooks haven't gotten any cheaper over the years, my guess is that the B & N charges about just as much, really.
    I went to MSU and would literally find the exact same textbook offered in the bookstores on campus for 10% the price online.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I went to MSU and would literally find the exact same textbook offered in the bookstores on campus for 10% the price online.
    Now WSU's development arm can go hog wild with that block. Marwil and Potato Place were the last holdouts. Now we'll see that they never really cared about "green space." haha

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Now WSU's development arm can go hog wild with that block. Marwil and Potato Place were the last holdouts. Now we'll see that they never really cared about "green space." haha
    I am kind of interested to see what they will do if that is the case. I still want to eat at Potato Place though.

Potato Place is pretty darn good. You don't stay in business that long without knowing how to spice up a spud.

is the potato place usually pretty crowded? My lunch break is fairly short.

B&N charges similar prices, but faculty are persuaded to order through B&N opposed to Marwil.

The textbook industry is a racket anyway. Sponsored by major corporations. Anything to get you to buy a new book... when the information in the book hasn't changed one bit. You need to buy the book to buy the online package, which is a "necessity" for the class.

Yeech.... "In the early 70s, it moved to its current location at Cass and Woodward, Kramer said. His family bought it from the Marwils in 1983."

I am surprised it has lasted as long as it did. Barnes and Noble is a very fierce competitor and when it moved from Central Campus to across the street I thought Marwills hays would be numbered then.

One persons green space is another persons development opportunity.

PP has a sign posted that they are not a 'fast food' place. They are not. Thus, the wonderful food takes time. I always 'called-in' my orders. Potato PERFECTION! Love their carrot cake too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is the potato place usually pretty crowded? My lunch break is fairly short.

Bookstores all across the country are closing in the eBooks/Internet age. This is not just a Detroit problem. This is part of the reason Borders folded [[and the reason Barnes and Noble eventually will fold).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Bookstores all across the country are closing in the eBooks/Internet age. This is not just a Detroit problem. This is part of the reason Borders folded [[and the reason Barnes and Noble eventually will fold).
    Barnes & Noble has a significantly different business model than Borders, and, not surprisingly, has weathered the changes much better. For one, they have a large e-book business. For another, they have the #2 e-reader. Also, much of their "traditional" book business isn't retail, but direct to businesses, universities and government. So even if one were to assume that bookstores would cease to exist [[I don't think that will happen, BTW; many independents are thriving), Barnes & Noble can still likely prosper.

The first, and last, time I went to the potato place was when it was called the Ice Cream Factory or something like that. Went with a bunch of friends. Stood in line and waited. They took my friends order, and refused to take mine. They took the guy behind me, the lady behind him. I'd try to order and they'd bypass me and go to the next guy in line. It was dumbfounding. My friends split their order with me and I never went back.

Besides, the $5.50 gyro plate at Epicurus was fantastic and cheaper.

Personally, I'm glad. They've never taken the time to improve themselves over the decades. It has looked the same for decades [[and not in a good way). Like the owner didn't want to "waste" any money fixing up a place because students were forced to shop there anyway. The place never really looked inviting outside or inside.

And I agree with the comments to that article. The staff were always rude every time I've gone there. I remember one time having to wait 45 minutes to see if a book was in the back because TWO different staff members "forgot" to look because they were "too busy."

I really do hope that this means the block will be rebuilt. Woodward/Warren should be WSU's showcase intersection. The green space there has always seemed like filler until Subway closed. Sparse benches and a lack of effort to plant a single tree told me they must have other plans.

Drove passed the Wayne State/Barnes and Noble store. Now it just says, "Wayne State Book Store." Is it still a Barnes and Noble or has Wayne State taken over?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Barnes & Noble has a significantly different business model than Borders, and, not surprisingly, has weathered the changes much better. For one, they have a large e-book business. For another, they have the #2 e-reader. Also, much of their "traditional" book business isn't retail, but direct to businesses, universities and government. So even if one were to assume that bookstores would cease to exist [[I don't think that will happen, BTW; many independents are thriving), Barnes & Noble can still likely prosper.
    Barnes and Noble also went after managing the college bookstores 20-30 years ago. They virtually have a monopoly. That also helps support their business model. In the case of WSU the do have a monopoly. Sure you can find used at King or perhaps get them online, but for those less savvy they are now the only game in town.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    B&N charges similar prices, but faculty are persuaded to order through B&N opposed to Marwil.

The textbook industry is a racket anyway. Sponsored by major corporations. Anything to get you to buy a new book... when the information in the book hasn't changed one bit. You need to buy the book to buy the online package, which is a "necessity" for the class.

It sure is. I still have my surveying textbook which I bought new in Sept 1958 for $8.50 from the school bookstore. It took me through two semesters of surveying [[3 hours class and 2 hours lab a week) and one semester of Mapping [[2 hours class and 2 hours lab a week). The book is small in dimensions, but closely printed and not much white space. Textbooks today are huge in length and width and are mostly white space with not much more information. They are also horribly expensive. I used to get through an engineering semester of 20 credit hours with about $50 in textbook costs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    One persons green space is another persons development opportunity.
    You miss the point, which is that one institution's purported green space is that same institution's later development opportunity. I'm making fun of WSU's development arm for facetiously arguing in favor of "green space" on a block because they're intent on demolishing everything that's there and then building something, not because they want "green space" there at all.

You miss the point, which is that one institution's purported green space is that same institution's later development opportunity. I'm making fun of WSU's development arm for facetiously arguing in favor of "green space" on a block because they're intent on demolishing everything that's there and then building something, not because they want "green space" there at all.
    You missed my sarcasm! They have had a hotel or some other quasi public space planned for that area for a very long time. Things only stay green space until people can find a market for it.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-31-13 at 09:15 AM.

You missed my sarcasm! They have had a hotel or some other quasi public space planned for that area for a very long time. Things only stay green space until people can find a market for it.
    When you tell people that you value the green space, all while keeping ambitious development plans at the ready, you are kind of a liar, at least a hypocrite, and certainly are giving people reason to guess that you may be completely full of shit about anything in the future.

That you have no problem with that doesn't surprise me much.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Drove passed the Wayne State/Barnes and Noble store. Now it just says, "Wayne State Book Store." Is it still a Barnes and Noble or has Wayne State taken over?
    Barnes and Noble has changed the branding on the stores for whatever reason, but it is still run by B&N. Had an ex that used to work there about the time they switched over all the signage.

I'd love to see an option where Potato Place and Epicurus could get a storefront, since local business is important. Maybe under the stipulation that they be open later than like, 5pm. But seeing that block restored and some type of a larger building go up on that corner would be awesome, the "green space" [[more like grass with a little bump of a hill) looks like crap and should go.

I did find Marwell somewhat rude and disinterested the few times I went in there. I was like to myself 'what business in Michigan much less Detroit can afford to have this attitude...?'. I stopped going.

When you tell people that you value the green space, all while keeping ambitious development plans at the ready, you are kind of a liar, at least a hypocrite, and certainly are giving people reason to guess that you may be completely full of shit about anything in the future.

That you have no problem with that doesn't surprise me much.
    That is not what I said or did.

That is not what I said or did.
    Welcome to bizarro world, the land of twisted words.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast