Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Are you prepared, Pt. III

Some very sombering statistics in this article in the Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...staggers+state

What happened to Detroit looks like it is about to happen to all of Michigan!

i'm really blown away.

When things were bad 25 yrs ago a few of my friends parents left to work in other states,.As well as a few of my relatives which I miss. Having moved into this house a little over 2 yrs ago, I would hate the thought of having to move again so soon. But having a house depends on a source of income and if my source was to go away then I would have to look elseware most likely out of state to find work. I myself have never really left the area I grew up in. But as the old saying goes " Ya gotta do, What ya gotta do". And I hope I never have to do that.

Default Population follows jobs

Population follows jobs.

Which is why it is so odd that a smart guy like Kurt Metzger would be surprised at this. As I have said on this forum before, SEMCOG's forecasts for Metro Detroit population are way too high, because their employment forecasts are absurd.

The area really needs to come to grips with the idea that there are probably going to be shrinking populations for a long time, and figure out how to deal with the concomitant problems. I have a hint: encouraging people to build more housing on the periphery of the region is probably a bad idea.
    Last edited by mwilbert; April-03-09 at 06:21 AM. Reason: doesn't make sense without title