Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fingers crossed, Dan Gilbert.

It might be fun to watch the results if they sell it to Apos.... [[the Greek guy) only to see what he would actually do, if anything, and then listen to Wayne County officials try to explain their stupidity once again.

Default Gilbert wins Failed Jail site - Crains

Very glad he got it. Much more realistic than A-pop. Very excited to see the plans!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/mobile/article/20131029/NEWS/131029799

Which, if any, of the existing buildings are included?

I am pleased that Gilbert got the nod.

In that Crains image it looks like Gilbert's bid also includes the Murphy Hall of Justice [[court building) on the far right... the old county jail to the left of it, and the low rise [[relatively new) Juvenile Justice Center beteen Greektown Parking Deck and the remains of the new jail.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in Wayne County. That juvenile center cost in excess of $50 million to build, and a replacement courthouse is going to cost another bundle.

Gilbert and the city may be the winner here... but Wayne County taxpayers will be the losers.....

Take a look at the new Gilbert parking structure, it's nearly complete and I don't even think it's been a year.

I've got way more faith in Gilbert than the yahoos that bought the Silverdome and did NOTHING that they promised.

Gilbert hasn't let us down yet. Every building he buys gets renovated and then gets jobs stuffed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I am pleased that Gilbert got the nod.

In that Crains image it looks like Gilbert's bid also includes the Murphy Hall of Justice [[court building) on the far right... the old county jail to the left of it, and the low rise [[relatively new) Juvenile Justice Center beteen Greektown Parking Deck and the remains of the new jail.

All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in Wayne County. That juvenile center cost in excess of $50 million to build, and a replacement courthouse is going to cost another bundle.

Gilbert and the city may be the winner here... but Wayne County taxpayers will be the losers.....
    The additional buildings worry me. For example, what is going to happen to the Courts? Will they move? If so, how about putting them back in the old Wayne County Courthouse?

What will happen with juvie? Will it be part of the main jail?

I wonder what the collective vision for the newly acquired properties will be? How long before a design plan is submitted?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Take a look at the new Gilbert parking structure, it's nearly complete and I don't even think it's been a year.

I've got way more faith in Gilbert than the yahoos that bought the Silverdome and did NOTHING that they promised.

Gilbert hasn't let us down yet. Every building he buys gets renovated and then gets jobs stuffed into it.
    Not to mention A-POPs [[love that) crappy record managing the Penobscott, parking-happy plans for the historic State Bank property, and relative mis-use of the Silverdome. Gilbert is on the opposite end of the spectrum. He buys something, and has a plan, and wastes no time moving forward with those plans. I'd imagine this might take a bit longer to develop, being by far the largest scale undertaking, but who knows? It's kinda on the periphery to be a large scale housing development... pretty far afield of Campus Martius and other destinations [[other than Greektown)...

YAY Gilbert!

Buy the land NOW! Gilbertown Detroit is growing faster than I expected within 2 years.

I expect to see another Gilbert surprise or two on the horizon in the very near future... on the residential front!

As long as he's on the block, I'd love to see him add 1300 Beaubien to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    As long as he's on the block, I'd love to see him add 1300 Beaubien to the mix.
    I can't remember who it was but someone kept saying "TEAR IT DOWN TEAR IT DOWN", such a "WTF" moment for me. That building just needs someone to wrap their tender loving arms around it.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I can't remember who it was but someone kept saying "TEAR IT DOWN TEAR IT DOWN", such a "WTF" moment for me. That building just needs someone to wrap their tender loving arms around it.
    Absolutely agree!!! With all the snarky comments on the Art Van house... it gives us all the more reason to keep the architectural treasures that we have... the Italian Renaissance Palazzo architcture of that building definitely worth keeping!

what are the structural issues with 1300 beaubien. How much money would it take to completely renovate and repurpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... the Italian Renaissance Palazzo architcture of that building definitely worth keeping!
    Anyone been inside it lately? I mean it was occupied and used daily up until what? this year? is the DPD all moved out? I know its HVAC, electrical..etc was totally obsolete and barely functioning and the lockups failed federal standards... but structurally? how bad could it be? It's not like it's been open to scrappers for 30+ years.

Top to bottom asbestos remediation, deep cleaning, update the hvac and power, get rid of whatever the 70s and 80s did to the interior [[I'm thinking dropped ceilings and terrible florescent lighting) few coats of paint... maybe some floor plan rejiggering.. and you've got some nice office space in a historic building.

It really would be a shame for an entire corner of downtown to be demolished wholesale. There are a lot of square feet there, and also a lot of history as being a justice district.

I think everyone would like to see the police station saved. Maybe if it were a hotel it could make use of the common areas on the ground floor. Isn't there a fancy pool and some other stuff?

The 1930s jail isn't talked about very often but I think shape of the building looks reasonable enough for apartments.

The 1990s jail as it is couldn't be used for anything, but it's a sizable building. I hope it could be gutted and reclad. The floor heights are probably too short for office, but the building might be too thick for residential. Either way it would be nice to have such a big building mass contribute to downtown's vitality.

I'd also like to see the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice kept. I'm imagining a 1 story retail space built on the plaza, and windows being inserted into the windowless concrete parts.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Bing has said it'll likely be demolished. We can only hope that [[presumably) Duggan has different intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Bing has said it'll likely be demolished. We can only hope that [[presumably) Duggan has different intentions.
    Bing also said he was a leader and what the hell has he done besides groan in front of a podium and keep quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'd also like to see the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice kept. I'm imagining a 1 story retail space built on the plaza, and windows being inserted into the windowless concrete parts.
    I disagree. My Mom worked there for 5 years as a court reporter after she transferred from the City-County Building, although that was in the 80s. It's interior does not lend itself to Class A office space, or hip residential or hotel development in my opinion. It is an unattractive building, with little reuse value. Putting windows in will only violate whatever slight architectural merit some might feel it has. The DPD HQ would kind of be a cool place to live or work. It is a more attractive building, and it has a cooler history. FMHoJ is one cold, heartless building.

Haven't considered the other jail building enough to have an opinion yet. Certainly, if it stayed, it should not look like a jail. If it could be converted to something that isn't a white elephant, that would be fine with me.

Rendering?

Rendering?

My eyes hurt.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; October-30-13 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Rendering?

My eyes hurt.
    Mikey.... that looks like a "Frank Gehry on LSD" design....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The 1990s jail as it is couldn't be used for anything, but it's a sizable building. I hope it could be gutted and reclad. The floor heights are probably too short for office, but the building might be too thick for residential. Either way it would be nice to have such a big building mass contribute to downtown's vitality.

The only one of those close to a 1990 vintage is the juvenile facility, and that is pretty small. If you mean the big grey tower, that was built in the 1970's.

Have you ever been in a jail? I don't think the big grey tower could be rehabbed for anything else. The walls are made of concrete and are supporting the floors above. The only thing I can think of it working for in terms of a new purpose would be as a hotel for cheap people travelling alone, or for some couples that don't mind taking dumps in front of each other! [[I can't get that one out of my head, why did I go there?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast