Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Notorious Brooks Patterson?

Just saw a commercial from a Napolean PAC that labeled Duggan a stooge for the "Notorious" Brooks Patterson.

Do people really fall for this stuff?

I'm afraid they do.

Yes they do. Most of the voters have no idea why they hate Brooks, they just hate him. Its a lot like this forum, or the people who hate Coleman Young. Politicos know he is divisive and they want to paint it as 'us' vs 'them'.

I am split on him. There are lots of things he has done that I agree with, and lots of things I don't. However, I can even say that about Kwame, and I was no fan of his.

Evil L. Brooks has stymied the state's attempt to turn the Silverdome into a state park for years.

If you would have told me last year that Detroit voters would overwhelming choose a white write-in candidate in a mayoral primary, I would have laughed.

I think people in Detroit and beyond are getting sick of the "us" vs "them" mentality. Sure, it might work on some people, but I don't think that's true of most.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yes they do. Most of the voters have no idea why they hate Brooks, they just hate him. Its a lot like this forum, or the people who hate Coleman Young. Politicos know he is divisive and they want to paint it as 'us' vs 'them'.

I am split on him. There are lots of things he has done that I agree with, and lots of things I don't. However, I can even say that about Kwame, and I was no fan of his.
    I think he's just short-sighted to the point of mental retardation. He's the quickest person in the room to slap himself on the back for Oakland County being the most glorious place in the universe when it is largely just the result of the blood being let from Detroit. Now there's virtually nothing left of Detroit to keep the Oakland County growth machine humming. He's the most open and public advocate for sprawl I've ever seen.

As a result we have an unwieldy region that takes up a lot of space yet provides very little livability. The tax base is aging and there isn't enough people to replace it. Yet future generations are going to have to find a way to pay for this sprawly mess. How? Look forward to Novi schools being on par with DPS a generation from now.

I think he's just short-sighted to the point of mental retardation.
    Poobert, in addition to the above being insulting on the level of the n or f word, it's just laughably incorrect. You may have some valid criticisms of L. Brooks, but surely there is a more intelligent [[or at least, slightly intelligent) way to do it.

Look forward to Novi schools being on par with DPS a generation from now.
    Is there some demographic wave of parental abandonment about to occur in Novi?

Thanks for calling out poobert on the use of the"r" word!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think he's just short-sighted to the point of mental retardation. He's the quickest person in the room to slap himself on the back for Oakland County being the most glorious place in the universe when it is largely just the result of the blood being let from Detroit. Now there's virtually nothing left of Detroit to keep the Oakland County growth machine humming. He's the most open and public advocate for sprawl I've ever seen.

As a result we have an unwieldy region that takes up a lot of space yet provides very little livability. The tax base is aging and there isn't enough people to replace it. Yet future generations are going to have to find a way to pay for this sprawly mess. How? Look forward to Novi schools being on par with DPS a generation from now.
    What poobert said.

How do you explain all of the sprawl outside of Oakland County?

I would be surprised if he wasn't a cheerleader for those who elected him. Would you elect a Mayor who would not cheerlead for Detroit?

As far as costs and sprawl is concerned, We have too many local governments competing for the same thing. Until we can all figure out how to play nice we won't be able to solve things. Detroit steals jobs from Oakland County and Livonia, then they steal jobs from Detroit. A county can't control that, that is up to the State legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    Thanks for calling out poobert on the use of the"r" word!
    Glad you're all so damn wrapped up in nomenclature that you miss the forest for the trees. I'm a sailor, from the east side of Detroit no less, spare me your Oxbridge formalities. Sorry I give a shit about things that matter.

I would be surprised if he wasn't a cheerleader for those who elected him. Would you elect a Mayor who would not cheerlead for Detroit?
    Detoiters did exactly that with Coleman Young. Yet, suburbanites consider him and the Detroiters who elected him fools because of his divisive attitude. Why shouldn't Detroiters be able to do the same with L. Brooks Patterson or Jimmy boy from Warren [[who are equally as divisive)?
    Last edited by 313WX; October-28-13 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Look forward to Novi schools being on par with DPS a generation from now.
    Is there some demographic wave of parental abandonment about to occur in Novi?
    poobert has a point. Novi may be fine now, but if Detroit's decline continues, and the people in Novi feel the city's "going downhill" because too many "Detroiters" are moving in, they may flee to Brighton or Whitmore Lake. You can see this happening in places such as Southfield, Oak Park, Eastpointe and Harper Woods currently.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Detoiters did exactly that with Coleman Young. Yet, suburbanites consider him and the Detroiters who elected him fools because of his divisive attitude. Why shouldn't Detroiters be able to do the same with L. Brooks Patterson or Jimmy boy from Warren [[who are equally as divisive)?
    Why? Exactly because it is divisive and pointless. We have a choice to put up walls or to take them down. I say do what you can to take them down and work for a common goal. The one thing Archer was good at was not looking for walls and the region and Detroit at least felt better.

Glad you're all so damn wrapped up in nomenclature that you miss the forest for the trees. I'm a sailor, from the east side of Detroit no less, spare me your Oxbridge formalities. Sorry I give a shit about things that matter.
    No you don't. You care about winning the internet. That includes not owning your errors.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    poobert has a point. Novi may be fine now, but if Detroit's decline continues, and the people in Novi feel the city's "going downhill" because too many "Detroiters" are moving in, they may flee to Brighton or Whitmore Lake. You can see this happening in places such as Southfield, Oak Park, Eastpointe and Harper Woods currently.
    I commend them on caring about their children and having the means to relocate. If more people cared about their children than about a meaningless sense of pride in their locale, perhaps many of these problems wouldn't exist.

I don't believe for a minute that Duggan is some kind of a stooge for ol' Brooksie, and I think that this is just Benny grasping at his last few straws.

However, many of us folks with longer memories remember just how L. Brooks Patterson began his career in public life as the George Wallace of Pontiac. He is "notorious" for damn good reason.

How do you explain all of the sprawl outside of Oakland County?

As far as costs and sprawl is concerned, We have too many local governments competing for the same thing. Until we can all figure out how to play nice we won't be able to solve things. Detroit steals jobs from Oakland County and Livonia, then they steal jobs from Detroit. A county can't control that, that is up to the State legislature.
    To say the jobs are 'stolen' is hyperbole. The employers moved. That's a right in the country.

I agree that the tax abatement tool to induce movement should be limited. Tax abatement seems unfair to me.

And I can't finish writing without saying that Poobert's comment that OC has grown by 'blood letting' of Detroit shows signs of Mental Cessation.

Why? Exactly because it is divisive and pointless. We have a choice to put up walls or to take them down. I say do what you can to take them down and work for a common goal. The one thing Archer was good at was not looking for walls and the region and Detroit at least felt better.
    You beat me to it. Attacking someone because they're divisive is well, rather divisive.

Each action is a choice -- let's choose love.

Looks like the Infamous Fatty Moron [[aka, the Bridge Dude) want to be one of Benny's Jets. See the last line of this report:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...142/1001/rss01

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Looks like the Infamous Fatty Moron [[aka, the Bridge Dude) want to be one of Benny's Jets. See the last line of this report:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...142/1001/rss01
    No surprise there. Matty's no fool. He knows vulnerability and how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I don't believe for a minute that Duggan is some kind of a stooge for ol' Brooksie, and I think that this is just Benny grasping at his last few straws.
    What I do not understand is why Brooks would need to have a "stooge" for mayor of Detroit. What does it bring him? What would be such a "stooge" benefit Duggan? Brooks wants a wall at 8-mile, he doesn't want to get involved in the running of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    What I do not understand is why Brooks would need to have a "stooge" for mayor of Detroit. What does it bring him? What would be such a "stooge" benefit Duggan? Brooks wants a wall at 8-mile, he doesn't want to get involved in the running of Detroit.
    12-mile is the new 8-mile.

Why? Exactly because it is divisive and pointless. We have a choice to put up walls or to take them down. I say do what you can to take them down and work for a common goal.
    That sounds all good and well.

My thing is, you seemed to be justifying L. Brook Patterson's and his constituents' divisiveness in your original response.

I think that assessment is spot on other than the assessment of Novi schools being on a par with DPS in a generation. In two generations though, who knows.

No matter who wins, he will have to deal with the gorilla in the room north of 8 Mile. So poking it in the eye makes no sense and avoids talking about the real issues facing Detroit.

Long ago I learned a good lesson about business from a veteran who said, "There's a lot of people I do business with who I don't like, but as long as they do their part of the agreement I have no complaints." Keep the eye on the prize.

We need to get over this divide, figure out what we can agree on and work with that. To bring LBP into the election politics might be red meat for the faithful, but will not benefit either side in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast