Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New bill proposes a front license plate again?

Looks like State Sen. Hunter wants a front plate again:

He thinks this will help crime? How exactly? Is there no crime in the 30 or so states that have front plates? Are the other 20 lawless wastelands? Are there no other issues or problems in the state that this requires any consideration whatsoever?

I hope saner heads prevail and this dies a quick death.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO05/310260046

lol... the excuse of the oncoming car's reflective license plate helps in case their headlights are out.... How many folks notice when driving behind another car who's lights are out... "oh look be careful... there's a license plate"...

Hunter should also require all cars to have giant letters put on the roofs of the car so the cops in the air will be able to find them easier!

I was born slightly too late to even see license plates on the front [[before those were abolished), but if they do pass this, how about changing the colors of the letters and digits on the new Mackinac Bridge plate to be more easily visible from a distance as well? This sounds like we want to join in the same bandwagon that nearby Ohio and Illinois [[and plenty of others) are already part of in license plate placement.

When I moved to Virginia, I had to go get a bracket to put this second plate the DMV handed me at the counter - WTF? Later, I got involved with License Plate readers for law-enforcement.

Guess what, front plates are entirely for the benefit of law enforcement. You can figure out if you like that or not - for yourself. I don't care for them on my vehicles...

FM

We need them because, to evade law enforcement nowadays, all you have to do is drive away from them in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    We need them because, to evade law enforcement nowadays, all you have to do is drive away from them in reverse.
    Next up? Traffic cameras. If they can get a tag # and face behind the wheel, you're done. I hate 'em...they ALWAYS end up being abused. Always.

That said, when I learned that Utah officers pull over folks for not having a front plate...back when I used to drive to CA all the time [[5-6 per year)...I started buying a second MI plate. Nothing like getting pulled over for bullshit to ruin an otherwise pleasant road trip.

I recall a similar effort in the 90s. It turns out that one was pushed by contributions from 3M, the company that just happened to manufacture the reflective material that goes on the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    Looks like State Sen. Hunter wants a front plate again:

He thinks this will help crime? How exactly? Is there no crime in the 30 or so states that have front plates? Are the other 20 lawless wastelands? Are there no other issues or problems in the state that this requires any consideration whatsoever?

I hope saner heads prevail and this dies a quick death.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO05/310260046
    Since when is the fight against crime an all-or-nothing game? Last I checked, Michigan is home to some of the most crime-ridden god-forsaken hellhole excuses for cities in the country. I myself have witnessed evildoers back their cars down an entire block to avoid the plate being spotted.

Scrappers [[who everyone here bitches about, rightly) always back their shit-mobiles into driveways. See where I'm going with this?

Further, if somebody wanted to rip off plates to use as their own, they're now going to have to put in double the time and effort.

Michigan is incredible. People recoil about anything different than what we've been currently doing. Because we've clearly got things all figured out already.

Boo, hiss. Generally, this is just a revenue scheme. Yes, there are occasions a front plate would help, but so too would there be for side and top plates.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    People recoil about anything different than what we've been currently doing. Because we've clearly got things all figured out already.
    I recoil from poorly thought out proposals that cost a bunch of money but aren't proven to do anything to help anyone.

Since when is the fight against crime an all-or-nothing game? Last I checked, Michigan is home to some of the most crime-ridden god-forsaken hellhole excuses for cities in the country. I myself have witnessed evildoers back their cars down an entire block to avoid the plate being spotted.

Scrappers [[who everyone here bitches about, rightly) always back their shit-mobiles into driveways. See where I'm going with this?

Further, if somebody wanted to rip off plates to use as their own, they're now going to have to put in double the time and effort.

Michigan is incredible. People recoil about anything different than what we've been currently doing. Because we've clearly got things all figured out already.
    You have some very good points there,, it we are that worried about crime,,, When Im in Ohio and Ontario people are constantly commenting on our one plate cars, and whey we do this,, I thought it was about cost and thats it..

I recoil from poorly thought out proposals that cost a bunch of money but aren't proven to do anything to help anyone.
    So almost all the rest of the world has it wrong and wastes money and sees no benefit? Really looks to me like resistance to change. Standardization is a good enough reason.

So does anyone else know what other 1st world provinces/states don't use front plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Standardization is a good enough reason.
    Wes, I agree with you more frequently than I do just about any other poster here, but I have to disagree here. Standardization isn't, in my opinion, even relevant. If it were, there are million things that would be more standardized with regard to cars. Putting built-in breathalayzers in every car would radically reduce DUI fatalities. Requiring a code to start a car would reduce theft. Why would standardization in and of itself be a benefit?

I am skeptical of the need for front plates and feel it is either an attempt to raise revenue for the state or the maker of the plate. But I am willing to listen to arguments from people on this subject. If someone can demonstrate that front plates substantially aid in law enforcement, and has the stats and studies to prove it, I might change my mind. Anecdotes are not evidence; they're frequently not even interesting.

An argument can be made, I think on the same level as front plates, for side plates. It would assist in making fast IDs on stolen cars, make it harder to conceal, etc. And the font could be much larger.

How is it "poorly thought out"? A majority of states in our fair country require them.

LE seems to think it is pretty well thought-out, in their opposition to dropping 2 plates in Ohio http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/477956

It's not rocket science. It's an additional plate that can be used to identify a vehicle. I doubt there is a Harvard study out there on it, and if there was, you'd decry it as east coast liberalism, or something.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5377220_li...se-plates.html

And this stuff about top license plates is simply non-sequitur. Stay at the kids table if you're going to be silly.

Intransigence. That's Pure Michigan.

'' Thirty-one states have both a front and a rear license plate requirement. Neighboring Ohio and Wisconsin require front and rear plates, while Indiana does not. ''

I'm skeptical since the Governor threw around the idea of doubling registration fee's and/or turning the freeways into a toll road .

Michigan required a front plate until 1981. Did law enforcement experience a sudden upsurge in unsolved vehicle related crime when that change occurred? That would seem to be the relevant stat. Does anyone know? I will gladly support front plates when someone demonstrates with evidence that it helps with law enforcement. The Sandusky Regster article does note law enforcement preference; it does not cite tangible facts.

And Poobert, honestly, do you think Harvardians approve of cars enough to deign to study them?

Skepticism of Government Power. That's Pure MikeyinBrooklyn.

How is it "poorly thought out"? A majority of states in our fair country require them.
    "Because everyone else is doing it" isn't a valid reason.

It's not rocket science. It's an additional plate that can be used to identify a vehicle. I doubt there is a Harvard study out there on it, and if there was, you'd decry it as east coast liberalism, or something.
    No, if a study shows it cuts down significantly on crime for some reason, I'd be all for it. However, I doubt there's any correlation. Show me the study and I'll change my mind.

I think *far* too many laws are passed based on, pretty much, no data whatsoever. Sounds like a good idea, why not? This method of reasoning is an awful way to run a a government.

Doubt that the bad guys would change both plates. Conflicting witness statements would probably be a benefit to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    You have some very good points there,, it we are that worried about crime,,, When Im in Ohio and Ontario people are constantly commenting on our one plate cars, and whey we do this,, I thought it was about cost and thats it..
    Really? I currently live in Ohio and have never heard a single person comment on this.

Nevada has two plates. However, if your car [[read foreign, mostly) is so designed that a front plate cannot be attached, you need not display it -- but you must carry the plate in the car. Bottom line is that about 1/3 of the cars with Nevada plates have no front plate. Police don't seem to enforce it very much because of the "attached" factor in the statute. Anyway, I have both plates on my Ford Escape, but I'd love to be able to pull the front one and replace it with a Red Wings plate I have.
    Last edited by Ray1936; October-28-13 at 10:39 AM.

Complete waste of time and money. The car companies don't want to publicize it but virtually all new vehicles carry an electronic signature. It wouldn't take much for a legitimate law enforcement agency to capture that signature. Many vehicles can already be tracked, intercepted and disabled by keystrokes. But this sort of legislation appeals to those with no technical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    Complete waste of time and money. The car companies don't want to publicize it but virtually all new vehicles carry an electronic signature. It wouldn't take much for a legitimate law enforcement agency to capture that signature. Many vehicles can already be tracked, intercepted and disabled by keystrokes. But this sort of legislation appeals to those with no technical knowledge.
    I would add, if I saw you involved in a hit & run, not having an electronic reading device, I might get a glimpse of your plate, and be able to identify you to the autorities. Low tech, I grant you.

Sticking a plate on the front of a car,breaks up the areodynamics,increases drag,lessens gas mileage[[maybe just a little).If they want to copy Ohio,stop having titles with 5 reassignments.Each time I do a wholesale deal,the state losses $15.00.Ohio titles must be reissued each time,including when it is sold in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post

I love my Quebec uniplates. They are so easy on gas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast