Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Packard Plant sold... for OVER $6,000,000 [Update: No it isn't]

Update from Free Press...
    Wayne County cancels Texas doctor's Packard Plant bid, talks with other bidders

>> Jump to Cancellation Discussion >>

Original Thread Post below.
    ====================
    what the fuck is going on?

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default

They couldn't sell it for a minimum bid of 1 million a few weeks ago.. now somebody buys it for over 6 million??

Wonder what "breathtaking redevelopment" project is going to come from this... and how long it'll take to flake out and not happen

Ok just googled the person that bought it.. it's a female doctor from texas, who quite possibly has top ten ugliest websites I've ever seen... it also seems like her "About Me" was written by a five year old...

http://www.drjillvanhorn.com/About_Us.html

that is just odd. as far as I can see, she has absolutely zero connection to Detroit. How would she even know about this in the first place?

no clue... this all seems really weird.. She still has to actually confirm she has the money..

maybe it was a buyer using her as the representative so as no to reveal themselves? idk. i guess we'll find out soon

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Ok just googled the person that bought it.. it's a female doctor from texas, who quite possibly has top ten ugliest websites I've ever seen... it also seems like her "About Me" was written by a five year old...

http://www.drjillvanhorn.com/About_Us.html
    I bought a big broken auto plant. I don't know why. It was fun. I will bill Medicaid more to pay for it. I hope you think this is a good idea. The end.

no clue... this all seems really weird.. She still has to actually confirm she has the money..

maybe it was a buyer using her as the representative so as no to reveal themselves? idk. i guess we'll find out soon
    Texas. Ennis TX. Suburban Dallas. Who with connections to Detroit would have connections to someone in Dallas?

This is clearly bizarre. Something fishy is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Texas. Ennis TX. Suburban Dallas. Who with connections to Detroit would have connections to someone in Dallas?
    HILARIOUS!

I wonder, separate thought, if she purchased on behalf of a different interested party. If so, who? It's enough money that I think it's not a whimsical buy. As much as I would love to see at least parts of the plant and associated buildings put to renovated use, I still suspect it's too expensive. I bet it all eventually gets demo'd.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I bought a big broken auto plant. I don't know why. It was fun. I will bill Medicaid more to pay for it. I hope you think this is a good idea. The end.
    hahaha I wouldn't be surprised to see this added...

this whole situation really is so weird to me.

hahaha I wouldn't be surprised to see this added...

this whole situation really is so weird to me.
    Most definetly a front for someone....In life if something smells it indeed stinks,, Wait till this all plays itself out.

This stinks to the high heavens. I'm just going to sit back and side eye this.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Comerica???
    Last edited by 313WX; October-25-13 at 07:18 PM.

Less than a month ago she could have bought it for $1 million or less. Either she was drinking or something is going on!

She is 40 years old and a DO. DO's don't typically make as much as MD's. 2002 graduate. I am sure she is just getting out from under her bills. Yeah looks odd. http://www.healthgrades.com/physicia...ckground-check

UPPDATE: Her husband is from Detroit according to WWJ.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-25-13 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    ....In life if something smells it indeed stinks
    EXACTLY!!!...this is so strange, but I will be positive about it. I mean, after all, what's the worse that can happen? It can't really get much worse than it is now. Even demolition would be an improvement.

It is still only $2.40 a sq ft for industrial,you really need to be looking at the bigger picture and not like Detroit is a little bubble on mars,not connected to the rest of the world.

Combine smaller investors and you do not have to worry about hedge funds etc.

It does look weird.

The report could be wrong, or the treasurer got the name wrong.

when do they have to show they have the $6million, or can she buy time and never pay up???

Was this a silent auction? If not, it's even crazier to think that there's actually another bidder out there that bid 5.9 million.

Does anyone know what the runner up bid was. I mean if they could have had this for $1 mil a month ago, why didn't they just buy it... I swear that nothing can go right with Detroit. We have people playing on our emotion. I will tell you right now that if you can rebuild and make money off of this then Dan Gilbert would have gotten it for free from the DEGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Does anyone know what the runner up bid was. I mean if they could have had this for $1 mil a month ago, why didn't they just buy it... I swear that nothing can go right with Detroit. We have people playing on our emotion. I will tell you right now that if you can rebuild and make money off of this then Dan Gilbert would have gotten it for free from the DEGC.
    If the county gets $6 million for the parcel, instead of only $1 million... how does that relate to things not going right with Detroit?

I will tell you right now that if you can rebuild and make money off of this then Dan Gilbert would have gotten it for free from the DEGC.
    His focus is downtown,he would have no interest outside of that.

Update:

The Free Press could not reach her but did exchange a text message with someone at the number listed for her husband, George Van Horn. He confirmed that the couple bid on the property. Though he did not respond to other texts seeking further details, he did reply late Friday: “We will put out a statement Monday. It’s not a mistake.” George Van Horn owns a classic car auto body repair and paint company, according to his website.
    The couple has not been in the news in previous years, and they are not listed on any corporate boards, according to the Free Press research.

A woman named Genevieve Lowrence, who answered the phone at her Ennis, Texas, home, said the Van Horns bought her previous home but that she kept the phone number when she moved. She said she received a phone call Friday from the Van Horns warning her that she might get calls from news media inquiring about a $6-million purchase.
    “I don’t know where they would get $6 million from,” said Lowrence. who added that she was shocked by the price. “I know she’s an osteopath in town. That’s it.”

Update:

The Free Press could not reach her but did exchange a text message with someone at the number listed for her husband, George Van Horn. He confirmed that the couple bid on the property. Though he did not respond to other texts seeking further details, he did reply late Friday: “We will put out a statement Monday. It’s not a mistake.” George Van Horn owns a classic car auto body repair and paint company, according to his website.
    The couple has not been in the news in previous years, and they are not listed on any corporate boards, according to the Free Press research.

A woman named Genevieve Lowrence, who answered the phone at her Ennis, Texas, home, said the Van Horns bought her previous home but that she kept the phone number when she moved. She said she received a phone call Friday from the Van Horns warning her that she might get calls from news media inquiring about a $6-million purchase.
    “I don’t know where they would get $6 million from,” said Lowrence. who added that she was shocked by the price. “I know she’s an osteopath in town. That’s it.”

so they did want to buy it.. but even the people they know are shocked that they spent 6 million dollars.. this is honestly so bizarre I don't know what to think.

I believe there was only a $2-20k difference from the last bid. A new bid would pop up during the final seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It is still only $2.40 a sq ft for industrial,you really need to be looking at the bigger picture and not like Detroit is a little bubble on mars,not connected to the rest of the world.

Combine smaller investors and you do not have to worry about hedge funds etc.
    I forgot but someone on this board who was in the know said the site is contaminated and it would cost millions upon millions to decontaminate it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast