Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default PBS video on Detroit.. Question about what Sue Mosey said

It's another piece on detroit with the same old same old...

but what caught my attention was what Sue Mosey was saying about renovating a building in Midtown for 30 million dollars?? anybody know which one she's talking about?? I think she's standing in front of it when she said it but I can't tell what it is??

"SUSAN MOSEY: This is originally a 1924 historic building that was vacant for at least a decade or so. We're going to be spending about $30 million to renovate it for 129 units of new housing."

Any experts?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/natio...oit_10-21.html

70 West Alexandrine behind Union Street and Great Lakes Coffee.

oh awesome! that was my guess but i wasn't sure.. anybody know when this is supposed to happen? This article is only a few days old.. so .. soon?

Its been thrown about for a bit, same with the development next to the McDonalds and renovation of the old Agave spot. The Alexandrine property definitely has backing and will probably start soon, I can't remember if that was the building that had a Hygenic Dress League piece on it that got taken down or what.

What is happening to the Agave / Stewart's / Alexander's / Gregory's... site?

I could never figure out why that places always failed. I has great location, rear parking, lots of space and a great outdoor patio.

That building is such a huge, visible hulking eyesore that renovating it will have a big impact I think. I'd love to see work started. It would also be interesting to see how quickly it would fill up, given all the talk about a lack of housing in the area.

They have kept the building pretty secure so I would think a renovation would be much easier than a lot of buildings such as the Eddystone or the old Harbor Light. That was a good investment putting the fence up and properly sealing up the building on Alex. The Hotel Ansonia's windows were bricked up soon after [[not quite soon enough) closing, again good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    What is happening to the Agave / Stewart's / Alexander's / Gregory's... site?

I could never figure out why that places always failed. I has great location, rear parking, lots of space and a great outdoor patio.
    If I remember right, there was rumbling that someone had secured funding to do a full gut and remodel of the building as a new restaurant with a bar upstairs? I can't remember. But that one leaked out around the time of DLektricity last year and nothing ever came of it.

Edit - To clarify, there was an installation at DLektricity that was INSIDE of the building, as well as outside of the building. This was something that the property owners were apparently more than glad to allow, and afterwards, there were was talk that they had found someone for the building and it was moving forward... but as seems the case far too often, it was premature and it stands there empty
    Last edited by motz; October-25-13 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    They have kept the building pretty secure so I would think a renovation would be much easier than a lot of buildings such as the Eddystone or the old Harbor Light. That was a good investment putting the fence up and properly sealing up the building on Alex. The Hotel Ansonia's windows were bricked up soon after [[not quite soon enough) closing, again good investment.
    Rubbish. Have you seen 70 Alexandrine West before? It's just as dilapidated as the Eddystone or Harbor light. The difference is the location, this should be obvious. This is the growing area of Midtown -- new residential and retail structures right around the corner with more in the works. It's literally around the corner from Midtown Inc which is at geographically at the center of development in the area, while Eddystone and Harbor light are at the periphery and about to be demolished for a stadium.

Yeah I live on Alex a block away, you cant walk into that building, Eddystone is or was wide open, not sure about Harbor Light. Sure the Alex building is a hulk but in much better shape than the Eddystone. Id been in the Eddystone in its last days when there were just a few dealers left in the building, as soon as it closed it was stripped. I was in there after it closed and it looked a lot worse than 70 Alex. All I said is I think 70 Alex looks in better shape for a renovation. Just look at Lowells pic above and go look at the Eddystone, big difference. Just sayin.

As I remember Harbor Light was locked up pretty quickly after closing so I take back my statement on that, it very well may have its electrical and plumbing still working but bringing it up to code would still be a nightmare most likely.
    Last edited by Django; October-25-13 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Nikolai

Does anyone know where Gregory of long gone Gregory's on Woodward is? Haven't heard anything of him in years. Loved that spot back in the old days.