Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Movies on big new screen at Senate Theater

Classic movies are showing at Detroit's Historic Senate Theater on the big new screen. Music events happening there too. Live pre-show entertainment on the Mighty Wurlitzer theatre organ.

Fall 2013
    Fri/Sat Oct 25 & 26 - 8 pm - "Ghostbusters"
    Sat Nov 9 - 2 pm & 8 pm - "Back to the Future"
    Sun Nov 17 - 3 pm - Clark Wilson Pops Concert
    Fri/Sat Nov 22 & 23 - 8 pm - "From Russia With Love"
    Sun Dec 8 - 3 pm - Joel Gary Christmas Pops Concert
    Sat Dec 14 - 2pm - Free Movies - "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", "Frosty the Snowman", Sing-Along, & Meet Santa

More details at http://www.dtos.org/

or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SenateTheater

Senate Theater
    6424 Michigan Avenue
    Detroit, MI 48210
    Telephone [[313) 894-0850
    Event Hotline [[313) 894-4100

Name:  SenateMarqueeSide.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  32.2 KB

Shorty after the new screen was installed in summer 2013.
    Name:  1006209_554963047893734_174489219_n.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  29.3 KB

Oh hell yeah! I'm probably working most of those days but nice to see and good to know. Thanks for posting!

I live close-by. Any information on auto security?
    This is so good to see. And note that the old Risko Ferguson "dive" funeral home has become a Verheyden property and lots of dollars spent on it. Maybe that stretch of Michigan Ave. Is looking up.

Fenced parking is next to theater on Gilbert St... Security supervising there and also for street parking around the theater. At the recent silent movie, Nosferutu, in the evening 5 people even arrived by bicycle. The bikes were actively watched by the security company too.

This is totally awesome to hear and I'm really going to try and drag the lady to see Back to the Future. Thanks for the update!!

Glad you are back open again at that location. I would encourage everyone to come out and support them.

Glad to hear about this. I went to an organ concert there in the mid 60's but later moved to Chicago, and then SF. I think a man named Orbitz had installed a movie palace organ. Definitely not the kind of organ you'd expect in theater that size.

George Orbits is still actively involved. The non-profit Detroit Theater Organ Society owns the Senate Theater and organ. The 1928 Wurlitzer is from Detroit's Fisher Theater. It moved to Senate in early 1960s when Fisher Th was remodeled.

George is in this great movie

http://vimeo.com/40914302

text details at http://www.dtos.org/History.html

The pic of the Senate shows a building next door to the left, but on Google maps the street view shows an empty lot. Has something been built there?

Don't forget to visit Abick's before and/or after the movie.

The pic of the Senate shows a building next door to the left, but on Google maps the street view shows an empty lot. Has something been built there?
    The picture above is kind of an illusion, you are seeing the apartment building that is west of the theater entrance in the same block. The property immediately to the west of the theater entrance is vacant, it used to be the site of the Senate Coney Island. The society that owns the theatre has purchased that land and will be constructing modern, first floor bathrooms with full handicap access on part of that land.

Never been to the theater but did my share of lunches at Senate Coney Island. Glad to see the theater up and kicking.

Are they projecting real film, or is it video?

Projecting digital