Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Free Wi-Fi, courtesy of Gilbert, now available in some areas Downtown

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default

That's pretty awesome.. I love that Danny boy is committed to trying to make Detroit the next Silicon Valley with these little things here and there.. [[also M@dison block, etc.)

If 123.Net is the technical vendor behind it, you know it is going to be good. Those guys are the best when it comes to anything wireless [[or telecom related). We have them here in the office and the service is flawless.

I'm glad to see this is finally happening, hopefully it will expand to many more places in the city soon!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default

That's pretty awesome.. I love that Danny boy is committed to trying to make Detroit the next Silicon Valley with these little things here and there.. [[also M@dison block, etc.)

where are the people complaining about him "owning too much" ... being a capitalist and doesn't actually give a shit about detroit... all for the profit.. blah blah blah...

*crickets*

where are the people complaining about him "owning too much" ... being a capitalist and doesn't actually give a shit about detroit... all for the profit.. blah blah blah...

*crickets*
    Yeah I am totally waiting for some weird conspiracy theory about how this is his way of stealing data from your wireless devices or some other hair-brained idea.
    Last edited by gumby; October-25-13 at 06:46 AM. Reason: fixed typo

*crickets*
    Like, he's going to put other wireless internet providers out of business?!?!?

Name:  gilbert wifi.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  51.7 KB Got this in an email circulated to downtown office workers [[not in a Gilbert-owned building).

Rock Ventures’ real estate arm, Bedrock Real Estate Services, is sponsoring the free Wi-Fi in the city’s core, along with Southfield-based tech firm 123.Net.
    I wonder if we'll soon be seeing 123.Net relocating to a new downtown HQ.

It's nice that the wifi is available to everyone. Like any public hotspot, I wouldn't do any banking [[or work with any sensitive documents) on their service.

Verizon 4G LTE isn't so great downtown. I usually get 3 to 4 Mbps download speeds in downtown. That compares to ~30 Mbps at my house. It will be nice to have a backup for those times Verizon is slow, or even backs up to 3G speeds.

Ever since they turned on the Gilbertown wifi I've been hearing a low-level hum Downtown. Anyone else hearing that?