Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Surgery done before City cuts me off!

This summer, my annual eye checkup had doc saying my cataracts were begining to be noticable, and to think about surgical removal. Yeah, yeah, I thought....put that off for a few years if I can.

Then comes the news that the City of Detroit in its bankruptcy quest is cutting off my retirees' healthcare. Soo......since my excellent BC/BS coverage is good until January 1, I opted this month to have the cataracts taken care of. And y'know what? I can't believe the difference in my sight! It was barely 20-40 before, and it's 20-20 now. I noticed things seemed blurry somewhat when driving, but all is sharp as a tack now.

Anyway, I'm urging all my fellow C of D retirees to NOT put off any elective surgery. Do it now; get it done; get it paid......and not by your bank account!!!

[[Those of you who think this bankruptcy mess will soon be resolved.....you're dead wrong. This is going to go on for a decade or longer what with all the injunctions and suits that lie ahead.)

Wow, what a story. Glad you're seeing better and it all went well. Good, cautionary advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    This summer, my annual eye checkup had doc saying my cataracts were begining to be noticable, and to think about surgical removal. Yeah, yeah, I thought....put that off for a few years if I can.

Then comes the news that the City of Detroit in its bankruptcy quest is cutting off my retirees' healthcare. Soo......since my excellent BC/BS coverage is good until January 1, I opted this month to have the cataracts taken care of. And y'know what? I can't believe the difference in my sight! It was barely 20-40 before, and it's 20-20 now. I noticed things seemed blurry somewhat when driving, but all is sharp as a tack now.

Anyway, I'm urging all my fellow C of D retirees to NOT put off any elective surgery. Do it now; get it done; get it paid......and not by your bank account!!!

[[Those of you who think this bankruptcy mess will soon be resolved.....you're dead wrong. This is going to go on for a decade or longer what with all the injunctions and suits that lie ahead.)
    I am soooo relieved that your visions went from slighly bad to perfect. I would certainly forgo additional PD and FD in the community if I knew it would require you to occasionally require reading glasses.

The horror!!

I made it a big font in case someone is living the tragedy of having slightly below perfect vision!!

They say the sky is a much deeper blue after cataract surgery. Enjoy that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    They say the sky is a much deeper blue after cataract surgery. Enjoy that!
    Jim, it is. Between the two surgeries, when the left eye was done and the right eye was not, switching between the two by holding a paper over one then the other displayed that fact amazingly. The undone eye was like looking through a bit of a sandstorm. But that's part of 'the golden years', I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I am soooo relieved that your visions went from slighly bad to perfect. I would certainly forgo additional PD and FD in the community if I knew it would require you to occasionally require reading glasses.

The horror!!

I made it a big font in case someone is living the tragedy of having slightly below perfect vision!!
    K, that was more than a little funny!

But seriously Ray, I wish you well. I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

Ray, delighted to hear your surgeries went so well. I am very sensitive to vision as my folks were legally blind.

I am soooo relieved that your visions went from slighly bad to perfect. I would certainly forgo additional PD and FD in the community if I knew it would require you to occasionally require reading glasses....
    Cataracts are not simply aging eyes. They are a medical condition that can and should be treated. Naturally, who covers this cost is a valid social issue -- but this isn't just a case of elective surgery to eliminate need for reading glasses. This is to prevent future blindness and thus significant social [[and of course personal) costs.

Glad it turned out well, Ray!

Then comes the news that the City of Detroit in its bankruptcy quest is cutting off my retirees' healthcare.
    You aren't getting cut off, you get to sign up for health care via the patient protection and affordable care act. As Obama said many times over, the quality of health care will be exactly the same as before, and as the name of the act states, it will be affordable. So you should have nothing to worry about.

Just hop on the web site and sign up! It's just that easy.

The horror!!

Name:  toilet-paper.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  2.4 KB

I'm posting a picture of this, in case someone's a total ass.....

So you think Ray should have waited a few years until his vision worsened to the point where he was unable to drive or normally function? You think it would have been better to wait until then when he may be relying on Medicare and without the full pension income he was promised?......................................... .................................................. .................... Good luck in getting anyone worthwhile to sign up for that task of providing "Additional PD and FD" in Detroit if Detroit's not willing to keep their promises to those individuals that have already spent their lifetimes doing so! I don't think people realize how bad the pushback is going to be if there are significant cuts to the benefits of current and retired Detroit Police and Fire.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-23-13 at 09:00 AM.

There is nothing cheap about Obama Care. Sue you can get a policy for $200 bucks but it comes with a deductible of $12,700 dollars. The government fails to tell you that these cheap policies come with very high deductibles which must be met first before coverage begins. I know I am one of those city employees tossed from my health care and have been on line and on the phone for a week. In order to have a decent health policy with a manageable deductible you have to pay at least $800 bucks a month. Forget about good prescription coverage it doesn't exist. Anyone who doesn't believe me check out the Michigan Health Exchange sights.

The $800 bucks that i mention is after my subsidy.

The father of a very good friend of mine is a retired Detroit firefighter. This guy, now in his mid-70s, was healthy as an ox until just the past few months when he came up with both high blood pressure and early-stage colon cancer. The timing of all this couldn't be worse for him, and my friend is worried sick about it. On top of the loss of health coverage, I think many people don't realize that police & fire retirees are often not eligible for Social Security.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The father of a very good friend of mine is a retired Detroit firefighter. This guy, now in his mid-70s, was healthy as an ox until just the past few months when he came up with both high blood pressure and early-stage colon cancer. The timing of all this couldn't be worse for him, and my friend is worried sick about it. On top of the loss of health coverage, I think many people don't realize that police & fire retirees are often not eligible for Social Security.
    I grew up among City employee kids. Most of my friends who have Dads who were firemen have had bouts with some forms of cancer. Many died young, even before they could collect retirement. Front line guys deserve everything we can give them. I am amazed at some of the callous comments I read here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I grew up among City employee kids. Most of my friends who have Dads who were firemen have had bouts with some forms of cancer. Many died young, even before they could collect retirement. Front line guys deserve everything we can give them. I am amazed at some of the callous comments I read here.
    I agree DetroitPlanner... it's to Ray's credit that he's not commenting on some of the less than stellar comments.

Sometimes one needs to have a little compassion and understanding.

Back in the day teachers,PD,FD and city workers took a job that paid less then the private sector,they did it because they loved the job and made the pay sacrifice comfortable knowing that the benefits would help them be secure in their old age.

Now it is a double sacrifice being asked of them,anybody in their right mind would be saying f that.

Think it is bad now? Wait another 30 years when the shoe is on the other foot,the whole country has been kicking the can down the road,Detroit is a small picture comparatively of what is going to happen.

Then try and retire with no pension,no money and no gov support,scary Hugh.

Medicare and getting a blue cross supplemental is still pretty damn cheap and covers you just fine. Seniors will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Medicare and getting a blue cross supplemental is still pretty damn cheap and covers you just fine. Seniors will survive.
    Yes, they will for the most part.

The difference is the lower pay funded the system creating a balance and payed for those within the system.

Medicare and getting a blue cross supplemental comes from a system that receives funding from where?

So now you personally have to pay for their care that they already paid for.

So who is going to pay for you when you get old and what if fewer are putting in then taking out.Its the same model as SS.

I know we've all hashed this out in other threads, but pensions & medical care as currently structured truly are not sustainable. In the best-case scenario, they're solvent, but not forever. You can't have people on the taxpayer's dime not working for 20+ years. Especially with the population & tax base decline. Plans that don't allow for people to work later into life are FICTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Police and fire personnel do not pay into social security, but rather into their pension systems, as per federal law. Thus, most P&F personnel do not qualify for Medicare as they do not have their forty quarters of SS in.

Fortunately, I had the good sense to take a position as a hospital security director when I retired and got my forty quarters in.

I'm not complaining. Just observing. But I do feel badly for a good number of my former colleagues who are not so fortunate as I, in a number of areas.

I feel sorry for the kids entering the work world today.

They're not going to get any retirement health care. They're not going to get any pensions. Its doubtful that any politician has the sack to ever end Social Security, but most likely their Soc Sec will be a pittance compared to what seniors have typically collected. Average household pay has been decreasing for the last decade. Most likely taxes will also be raised to help fund the people who will receive these benefits.

While no one wishes ill will on today's seniors, where is the sympathy for the future generations who are going to be forced to sacrifice so much more?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    You aren't getting cut off, you get to sign up for health care via the patient protection and affordable care act. As Obama said many times over, the quality of health care will be exactly the same as before, and as the name of the act states, it will be affordable. So you should have nothing to worry about.

Just hop on the web site and sign up! It's just that easy.
    I just looked up in the air and saw pigs flying circles around the moon.

Police and fire personnel do not pay into social security, but rather into their pension systems, as per federal law. Thus, most P&F personnel do not qualify for Medicare as they do not have their forty quarters of SS in.

Fortunately, I had the good sense to take a position as a hospital security director when I retired and got my forty quarters in.

I'm not complaining. Just observing. But I do feel badly for a good number of my former colleagues who are not so fortunate as I, in a number of areas.
    People don't realize Police don't pay into SS and even if you do after the department you can't collect 100% because you were a municipal employee. My father is a DPD Sgt with 39 years on the job. He is not sure if he can retire because he is not sure what his pension will end up being. He is only 58 years old so not old enough to touch any of his investments with out penalty or old enough to collect medicare. detroit is going to end up with alot of 60 year old police officers because they can't afford to retire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
    People don't realize Police don't pay into SS and even if you do after the department you can't collect 100% because you were a municipal employee. My father is a DPD Sgt with 39 years on the job. He is not sure if he can retire because he is not sure what his pension will end up being. He is only 58 years old so not old enough to touch any of his investments with out penalty or old enough to collect medicare. detroit is going to end up with alot of 60 year old police officers because they can't afford to retire!!!
    58 is too young to retire. Too much left to contribute at that age. A well-organized police department has tasks that can be done by someone who has served in more rigorous action as they mature. You're still pretty smart at 58.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast