Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ....But the burger chain I remember most was Top Hat. There were several of them on Gratiot, including one across from the Sears store at Gratiot and Van Dyke that we used to go to whenever my mother was in a hurry before/after shopping. I still have a vivid sense memory of the smell and the taste of those burgers and fries....
    Oh, heck yes, Al! There was a Top Hat Drive In on Harper [[actually, the service drive of I-94) right before the East Side Drive In! I was very young when it was there, but I remember it was round with a black, white and silvery chrome-looking exterior. It might have had a big top hat on it somewhere; very impressive to a 4-year old! Thanks for that flashback, Al.

I don't have any personal experience about this, but my cousin tells me that the drag race corner of Stecker and Michigan had a "White Owl" restaurant. Or maybe it was "the" White Owl as it might have been the only restaurant of its kind.

Used to be a White Tower and a White Castle kitty corner from each other on Gratiot and Eight Mile Roads. White Castle on the Northwest corner and a White Tower on the Southeast or possibly the Southwest corner, not sure which. Two other restaurants which were popular back then were Clock Restaurants and Lums which were famous for their hot dogs steamed in beer.

Used to be a White Tower across the street from old Detroit Police Headquarters at 1300 Beaubien. Photo c. 1939 as best I can tell from that one visible license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Used to be a White Tower and a White Castle kitty corner from each other on Gratiot and Eight Mile Roads. White Castle on the Northwest corner and a White Tower on the Southeast or possibly the Southwest corner, not sure which. Two other restaurants which were popular back then were Clock Restaurants and Lums which were famous for their hot dogs steamed in beer.
    I guess the White Tower on the Detroit side of 8 Mile Rd & Gratiot later became a Top Hat. Their onions were more carmelized than at White Castle, kitty corner in East Detroit [[now Eastpointe). I liked White Castle more. I think there is another thread dealing with that White Castle location.
    Last edited by Bobl; August-10-16 at 12:59 PM.

White Tower at Woodward and Davison. Hamburgers were great but the fried spiced ham sandwiches were better.

The two locations I recall were on Joseph Campau south of Holbrook and Cass Ave. next to the Burton school. I thought the burgers from White Tower were better than those from White Castle. The Big Whitey with everything was great.

White Tower ... one restaurant survives ... in Toledo

Used to go to the White Tower at the bus turnaround at Jefferson and Wayburn while waiting on the bus to take me home from my grandmother's or cousin's houses.
    Al,

We never actually ate at that White Tower, but every Sunday morning after church, we [[my parents and us 5 kids) stopped by that location to pick up our Sunday paper from Gus [[pretty sure that was his name) before driving to Belle Isle for a spin around the island and a stop to feed the ducks over near the Detroit Yacht Club. On our way back home, we always drove by the houses my parents grew up in...Mom on Meadowbrook and Dad on St. Jean, both south of Jefferson. So many terrific memories of those days!!

Used to go to the White Tower at the bus turnaround at Jefferson and Wayburn while waiting on the bus to take me home from my grandmother's or cousin's houses. There was one on Cass at Davenport that my mother used to take us to sometimes because she did some work in that area. Interesting characters around there sometimes...

But the burger chain I remember most was Top Hat. There were several of them on Gratiot, including one across from the Sears store at Gratiot and Van Dyke that we used to go to whenever my mother was in a hurry before/after shopping. I still have a vivid sense memory of the smell and the taste of those burgers and fries.

I believe it says "PULLMAN - Travel and Sleep in Safety and Comfort". It was probably something from a Pullman sleeping car, which were still operated and staffed separately by the Pullman Co. back then.
    My dad drove the Jefferson bus for many years in the 50's & 60's. During the summer when school was out one of my favorite things was to ride on the bus with him. At the end of the line at Wayburn before heading back out on Jefferson he always had a coffee and I enjoyed a White Tower.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; December-15-19 at 10:07 AM.

I remember a White Tower on Van Dyke about 200 feet north of Harper. MY Aunt ran one near Flint many years ago.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  51.3 KB

So many empty spaces anymore. Kinda sad....
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; December-15-19 at 07:58 AM.

Was one of the last customers in 2017 of the one on Michigan in Dearborn. Even though they renamed it, I thought it was the real thing, the decor was so 1950s. This old article in the Freep tells more...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...wer/100456754/

Drove by the White Tower on Michigan ave in Dearborn, they have spiffed up the place, new windows [[or maybe they're just clean) and they've left the W/T logo in place maybe it's coming back???

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did you attend Gabe's?
    St. Gabe's Class of 1970!!

There was a Top Hat hamburger place on the Southwest side of 12 Mile and Gratiot back then. I'm sure this is what you remember - since I am going back a good 5 decades
    Last edited by lester wild; December-20-19 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The White Tower on Campau in Hamtramck finally changed its name to Campau Towers about 12 years ago. They've still got sliders at 3:30 am.
    I lived there in the early 80's. I'd get off of work at 11:30 p.m.,hit the tower for burgers,then go bar hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by lester wild View Post
    There was a Top Hat hamburger place on the Southwest side of 12 Mile and Gratiot back then. I'm sure this is what you remember - since I am going back a good 5 decades
    There used to be a Top Hat at the corner of Van Born and Telegraph in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I guess the White Tower on the Detroit side of 8 Mile Rd & Gratiot later became a Top Hat. Their onions were more carmelized than at White Castle, kitty corner in East Detroit [[now Eastpointe). I liked White Castle more. I think there is another thread dealing with that White Castle location.
    When was the White Tower built? I remember Top Hat back in the very early '60s. Only White Tower I remember was on Cass south of Forest, East side.

At the risk of being a thread hijacker, anyone remember the White Castle - like "Motts Hamburgers"? They must have had a dozen joints. I remember one at Schaefer and Schoolcraft and one at Fort and Green. I was a regular patron sixty years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    At the risk of being a thread hijacker, anyone remember the White Castle - like "Motts Hamburgers"? They must have had a dozen joints. I remember one at Schaefer and Schoolcraft and one at Fort and Green. I was a regular patron sixty years back.
    The one at Fort and Green is still open, although I have noticed lately that their opening hours have gotten shorter.

I also remember one at Fort and Livernois that was torn down in 1995 for a new coney island which was, in turn, torn down a couple years ago for construction of the new bridge.

The Grosse Pointe Historical Society has a set of the original plans for the White Tower at 15009 E. Jefferson. I have been looking for a photo of the building. Also in the archives are a set of plans for the Toddle House that was located at 15412 E. Jefferson.

An image of the White Tower on East Jefferson near Terminal St. from the archives of the Detroit Historical Society, circa 1951.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ray I remember the one at Schoolcraft and Schaefer being a Brays. That would have been in the late 70s early 80s. Not to say it wasn't a Motts before then. Across from the bus depot and down the street from the Precinct and 48227 post office.

My Dad had his dental practice for 45 years, 1927-72, across the street from this White Tower, first above the Sanders store and then in his own building. If I was a patient patient he would treat me to a White Tower. Around the corner to the west on Harper was a Frank Jaworski Sausage store which we patronized.

Default I Remember Also

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I remember a White Tower on Van Dyke about 200 feet north of Harper. MY Aunt ran one near Flint many years ago.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  51.3 KB

So many empty spaces anymore. Kinda sad....
    My Dad had his dental practice for 45 years, 1927-72, across the street from this White Tower, first above the Sanders store and then in his own building. If I was a patient patient he would treat me to a White Tower. Around the corner to the west on Harper was a Frank Jaworski Sausage store which we patronized.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast