Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default It's Time For A SERIOUS Debate: Who's Brewing the Best Coffee in Detroit?

With a Starbucks opening up next to Campus Martius, I think it would be a fun time to debate what company in Detroit serves the best cup.

Obviously, there are the obvious hipster choices: Great Lakes Coffee, Astro Coffee, Germack Coffee, and Cafe Con Leche. Of course, the more underground hipster types may prefer The Bottom Line or Broadway 1515.

Then there's the chains: Biggby, Starbucks, and Tim Hortons.

Hamtramck has two gems in Cafe 1923 and Courage Coffee.

The Downtown crowd might be more familiar with Urban Bean Co, The Bean Bar, Roasting Plant, Rowland Coffee, or Stella Cafe.

I'm sure some old school Detroiters still swear by Telway, Motz, or some other local joint.

Still, no matter what way you look at it, it's undeniable that the coffee scene in Detroit is borderline out of control. I suppose we have to fight the overcast skies and short winter days however we can, and coffee sure is a good weapon in the arsenal.

For my money, I'll go with Cafe 1923. It might not be the most potent coffee or freshly dripped or what have you, but they offer a couple good brews at great prices. And if you're looking for a chill atmosphere, the ambiance can't be beat.

So let's hear it. And try not to spill any coffee!

there's a really good spot on woodward between canfield and willis... mccafe.. delicious.

I don't drink coffee but I love going into coffee shops for a bottle of water or iced tea because I love the smell of coffee. Wonder which spot has the best smell?

The Bottom Line has the best atmosphere. Best coffee? Anthology on Vermont/Porter.

Germack is a favorite of mine, great cold brew, Love the Chili Mexican. Coffee & [[___) is another fave, good coffee, great pastries.

Paging Gannon....

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    Germack is a favorite of mine, great cold brew, Love the Chili Mexican. Coffee & [[___) is another fave, good coffee, great pastries.
    LOVE Coffee & [[___)! Her coffee and pasteries are excellent. [[as are the breakfast burritos) I'm glad she decided stay permanently, instead of just "popping up". Haven't tried Germack. Maybe now that the tourist season is over, I'll venture into Eastern Mark-Up.

Speaking of Eastern Mark-Up, try the coffee @ the store formally known as J. Hirt. I think it's VERY good.

I drink espresso most of the time. The best and most consistent shot for me has been Astro. For a great cup of coffee, I love Anthology. Outside Detroit I like Ugly Mug in Ypsi. I'm amazed at how many shops don't know how to make a proper espresso.

This reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in the movie Elf.

Me. Cafe Bustelo in the old automatic drip. Espresso ground.Up to about $3.50 for a [[still) 10 oz can.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Me. Cafe Bustelo in the old automatic drip. Espresso ground.Up to about $3.50 for a [[still) 10 oz can.
    I've boughten the bricks in Mexicotown before.

McDonald's.

Much better quality coffee beans than years ago.

Never been to one that locked their public washrooms.

Wow, I'm glad to hear Coffee and Blank [[as I call it) is back! I'd forgotten about it.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    mcdonald's.

Much better quality coffee beans than years ago.

Never been to one that locked their public washrooms.
    lmao!!!!!!

Hi, Pam!

I think we need to differentiate between those who roast their beans from green, those who get the best roasted beans they possibly can, and the rest.

The most passionate and out-of-this-world coffee experience for me came during a slow afternoon at Anthology. I didn't know it, but we'd dropped in just after their closing time...but that didn't stop the fellows from teaching me more about flavors and knowing the source...and they are the only place I'd ever heard about some common parasite that makes the cup into an odd foul-potato smelling brew.

One of the partners there has some qualification for taste training and sensitivity...not unlike a somalier with wines, only with all tastes [[and scents) in food and coffees and the like. I wish I'd paid attentiont to the term. He is building his ANTHOLOGY of taste experiences, and created the coffee joint as part of that trajectory.

Next up? Chazzano in Ferndale. He won't like being second, but frankly if Gazhekwe's little brother had a local shop...instead of just the one in the UP...he'd be third. But this cat knows his coffees, and is the only one I've heard who collects the retail bags after they've gone past his [[extraordinarily short) life expectancy. More than anyone, he stresses the immediacy of capturing the taste not long after roasting the beans.

Third, but only for the aforementioned distance, is The Dancing Crane in the UP. He also knows the sources of his beans, and is every bit the roaster as the other two.

Fourth is Great Lakes, but only by a smidge. James runs a great joint there, but I wish his counter talent were more focused on the clientele. He gets honorable mention as the only place with an alcohol license, at least for beer and wine. He has the best food of any of them, and since he has THE coolest and most central space...you'll find me here most often.

Fifth, but also very respectable, is Germack...the shop Honky Tonk says was in the old Rafal Spice company location. They are quite excellent. Even during a weekend crush, their counter staff is genuine and engaged. I buy some of my green beans here, the only one which retails unroasted and roasted. Since they have many of the same spices [[in basically the same location, including the coffee bins), it is overall the most comfortable. Plus, my honey is addicted to their wasabe peas...she'd buy 'em by the barrel if they'd let her.

Then we get to Astro. First one that doesn't roast their own beans, but they use the Intelligencia brand out of Chicago, which most coffee afficianados say are the best roasters in the country. I absolutely love these folks. Totally and completely. Probably the most consistently best cup of coffee, and more convenient hours other than Great Lakes for those of us who want coffee after two in the afternoon. Need. Unfortunately, I have to pass most of these other places to get to them now, if I'm in more than once a month it is a special deal. Must remember to get there more...

I haven't really gotten into Trisophenes on Gratiot yet...but, I've been in there once and am very excited to see the scene Joel and his wife are creating. Because of all the folks I know who hang out there, it will likely become the go-to place for music.

There are many I don't know...1515 Broadway jumps out...geez...and the auto-tube joint. I've heard Starbucks has gotten much better after their original owner reclaimed the helm...but I see no real reason to try 'em again. I'd much rather keep these locals in business.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; October-22-13 at 12:37 PM.

A nod to Jordi at Cafe Con Leche, too. It is always pleasant to drop in to see him, and his espresso has never disappointed me. I think he uses Great Lakes beans, and it might be my fault. Heh.

If you get a jones for a mega-brownie, though, whomever bakes his stuff makes a monster. Whoa. That and a double espresso...I'm ready for anything!

Default Coffee

Like this thread

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Like this thread
    Name:  Thumbs Up.JPG
Views: 1444
Size:  18.1 KB!!!!!!!!!

Which place uses the brewing method most like a Rube Goldberg machine? [[the siphon)

Which ones roast a city roast to caramel brown instead of just lighter than french roast? [[AKA no roast creep)

Gannon-where is Trisophenes?

Some of the best coffee in the world comes from Europe [[they've have roasting and brewing down to an artform for decades before we did)... and one of the best is Germany's most popular brand called JACOBS KAFFEE... which can be purchased at either Whole Foods or Nino Salvaggio's... for $5.99 for a vacuum sealed package [[does about 7 pots full). Superb coffee....

Roasting Plant - First National Building @ Campus Martius!

I love them all. I go to the coffee shops that have the drip system instead of the pour over system which takes too long to make a cup of coffee. Caribou used to give free tefill

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Gannon-where is Trisophenes?
    Trinosophes. 1464 Gratiot, across from Gratiot Central Market. Also an enter from Service st., in back, where there's a free parking lot. Trino, as I call it, is a very cool, laid back space.

My question is WHY so many coffee shops? Not that they're not nice - I attribute my very question age alone. No way can I drink coffee after midday, I'll be awake all night.

Young folks must drink a lot of coffee these days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast