Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Regionalism vs Isolationism

It's amazing how there are many people within the city are against regional cooperation when it is needed the most. Currently they are well represented in the city government.

If you watch any of the talk shows on WHPR TV 33, and talk to some of the citizens of Detroit, you'll notice that many of the callers and the hosts, that their viewpoints are against regional cooperation in any form. They aren't the only ones. The suburbs have their share of isolationists.

Conspiracy theories that there is an enemy trying to take over Detroit from the citizens that are left, are all over, leading many Detroiters to the assumption that in the end it will be them that will end up on the short end of the stick if we cooperate at all. Fear of increases in Detroiter presence in the suburbs would increase crime and decrease home values are still there.

The Detroit Public Schools has already been marked by the Dept. of Education as the "worst school district in the nation". Despite the efforts of Robert Bobb which I commend him on his efforts to reform the district, it would truly take a death and rebirth in order for the district to get better.

It's amazing that while the city collapses around them, that many hold on to the notion that the city of Detroit can survive on their own.

With the population decreasing by the day, it is prudent that the citizens still here wake up and understand that only as a region, can we survive. There are some things that should be put into a regional authority, especially when Detroit doesn't have the money to manage everything anymore.

It would save the city a lot of money if the public transportation around here was united and managed by a regional authority. Something that should have been done years ago.

New leadership in Detroit, as well as the suburbs, is needed in order for everyone in the area to get along.

This year is truly a chance to boot out all of the current leaders that have truly shown their incompetence through mismanagement in all departments.

I truly hope that things will change for the better. However, it will truly be up to those that are left to decide whether to make compromises, or slowly fade into darkness.

Maybe we should let everyone who works in the city, or pays for city water have a vote for City Council. The former is in-particular taxation without representation.

I hope you rally for the taxation without representation for the other 14-15 communities in the state that tax workers.

I agree that there needs to be regionalism but regionalism only works if all players are interested. Detroit needs to step up but they will not be able to drive it alone.

The economic crisis is probably the only thing that will drive regionalism now that it is hitting all of SE Michigan.

Of course while we discuss regionalism I hope there is some serious discussion about regionalizing the services for the homeless, regionalizing insurance rates, regionalizing the costs to upgrade/mainatin infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Maybe we should let everyone who works in the city, or pays for city water have a vote for City Council. The former is in-particular taxation without representation.
    I would be in agreement that the water board would be chosen through elected representatives from both the suburbs and the city, instead of appointed by the City Council. However, to provide lower property taxes and lower income taxes would be best.

The argument about city water is ridiculous. Communities may opt in or opt out of using city water [[Gennessee and a couple other counties are looking at creating their own system).

This is akin to saying anyone that pays for Electricity should get to choose the board of directors. While I think the department could be run better this argument has no merit whatsoever.

Hell, I would srgue that DWSD should be run for profit and add money to the city's general fund. Let's run it like a real utility.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    ...pays for city water have a vote for City Council.
    Purchasing a commodity is not taxation. If you're unhappy with how much your water bill is, contact your local supplier. DWSD doesn't determine what, for example, Warren residents pay for water; the city of Warren does, and their mark-up is humongous.

I agree with the original poster that this area badly needs more regional cooperation. But that cooperation also needs to be on an equitable basis. The most important driver in the attitudes you mention is history, and the historical experience of this area in regional, and more importantly inter-racial [[which, let's face it, is what we're really talking about here) tolerance and cooperation has been abysmal until very recently. You can observe that very quickly when you mention the issue to most older people in the Detroit area [[and even many younger ones) and the first thing they do is point fingers at the other side, and generally voice their distrust and fears based on their own particular perception of the area's local history.

So, while I agree that lack of regional cooperation is one of this area's greatest weaknesses, the ugly history of this region is why I say that any regional initiatives have to be scrupulously even-handed. There is a great amount of trust that needs to be earned, and an enormous amount of distrust and even outright prejudice that needs to be overcome. One thing that will be tremendously helpful in the future is when the race-fear-mongering "leaders" of past generations, like ol' Brooks Patterson, finally and inevitably pass from the scene.

"Maybe we should let everyone who works in the city, or pays for city water have a vote for City Council. The former is in-particular taxation without representation."

Wrong. Local income taxes are authorized by state law. You have a state representative in Lansing. If you have a problem with it, contact them and ask them to change the law.

As for the issue of regionalism, if you think the only obstacle towards regionalism lies in the city of Detroit, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Purchasing a commodity is not taxation. If you're unhappy with how much your water bill is, contact your local supplier. DWSD doesn't determine what, for example, Warren residents pay for water; the city of Warren does, and their mark-up is humongous.
    Exactly. The towns that take city water impose their own terms for payment, and pretty much all of them charge customers more, often a lot more, than the city charges those municipalities. Of course, if Warrenites or other area residents don't like our water system they have always been free to build their own. Until then, you should be glad that someone, for once in this area, had the vision to build a system that serves all of us. And quit this endless bellyaching about buying our water. I think though that in reality a lot of folks in the suburbs just can't stand the fact that that "someone" was the City of Detroit. Or more to the point, that they couldn't just take the management of the water system our city built with them when they chose to leave us [[and thereby leaving all those awful people they fled in charge of the system).

Welcome to the board Tig3rzhark. As a freak-speaker, I'm going to guess you're somewhat young, under 30 perhaps. Nothing wrong there. We've all been young.

But it does seem that your rant, which I enjoyed, is informed by what, for the lack of a better word, I'm going to call "mythology." That, hey, we all want to work together, but the opponents of regionalism are in the city -- and they need to understand that that's not acceptable.

Well, it's partly true, but look at how you're positioning yourself. Are you asking any questions? Are you looking for somebody to help you understand why this is the case? If you were really looking for an enlightening discussion, why would you charge in here, post that the enemies of regionalism are in Detroit, and then gloss over the suburban cohort of that?

Yes, we need more regionalism. But it isn't done by taunting people in the city about their [[historically, as others have pointed out, quite understandable) distrust. It's done through dialogue. Try asking questions. You might learn a thing or two from the people who post here.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Welcome to the board Tig3rzhark. As a freak-speaker, I'm going to guess you're somewhat young, under 30 perhaps. Nothing wrong there. We've all been young.

But it does seem that your rant, which I enjoyed, is informed by what, for the lack of a better word, I'm going to call "mythology." That, hey, we all want to work together, but the opponents of regionalism are in the city -- and they need to understand that that's not acceptable.

Well, it's partly true, but look at how you're positioning yourself. Are you asking any questions? Are you looking for somebody to help you understand why this is the case? If you were really looking for an enlightening discussion, why would you charge in here, post that the enemies of regionalism are in Detroit, and then gloss over the suburban cohort of that?

Yes, we need more regionalism. But it isn't done by taunting people in the city about their [[historically, as others have pointed out, quite understandable) distrust. It's done through dialogue. Try asking questions. You might learn a thing or two from the people who post here.
    I read nothing in Tiger's posting that could be construed as a rant. His comments were not of a taunting nature. His post was quite good, actually. Much better than those in the sustainability threads.

I mean "rant" in the most loving sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

There's plenty of blame to go around as to why things are the way they are, from both sides of 8 mile.

As a lifetime Detroiter, I have always believed in the city motto "We Hope For Better Things; It Shall Rise From the Ashes".

This motto should be applied for the entire Metro Detroit area, especially in this current time.

When I ride my bike around metro Detroit, I see in both the city and suburbs empty buildings. When I catch the bus, I use SMART to catch the bus most of the time because DDOT doesn't have bike racks equipped on all of their buses. However, when I want to catch the SMART bus, I can't catch it within the city unless it is after 6pm or when I'm downtown.

Why is it that DDOT, although has stated that they would have bike racks on all of their buses this year, are taking their time, even after federal money was noted to be already allocated?

"The Detroit Department of Transportation is set to receive more than $500,000 in federal money to install bike racks on the fronts of all city buses." [[Detroit News, November 8, 2008)

Why is it that SMART buses will only stop in the city to drop off passengers but not pick up any that are at marked SMART stops within Detroit unless it is downtown or if it is at nighttime?

What's wrong with forming a regional transportation system for metro Detroit?

"What's wrong with forming a regional transportation system for metro Detroit?"

Nothing. But no one in Lansing has been able to get through the necessary legislation to make it happen. Engler vetoed the last effort to get regional transportation passed.

"What's wrong with forming a regional transportation system for metro Detroit?"

Great idea. But, again, you aren't dealing with the area's history on the issue.

Dennis Archer tried to do it when he was mayor, and a few DDOT and SMART lines were, in fact, integrated back in 1994 for a short while [[Jefferson and Michigan were run by SMART, and Fort and John R were run by DDOT). Archer was pushing for a full integration of both systems, but SMART management subsequently went off and sought their own exclusive tax funding source. With DDOT losing revenue from the lines they had given to SMART, suburban commuters complaining about making so many stops in the city, and combined with the resentment over SMART going back on the agreement in order to seek independent funding, the whole thing fell apart pretty quickly. Engler's later veto pretty much killed off any effort to regionalize public transportation in the area.

Lorax Guest

This house on Chicago Blvd. in Detroit is for sale for 29,900.00. It's property taxes are nearly 8,200.00 per year. This is the problem with Detroit being able to attact new residents.

It's one thing to pay little for a great house, but in a city that does not have a functioning police department, schools, etc., no one is going to incur 8,2000 bucks per year for no services.

However, quite a few would take the plunge, knowing they are on their own with regard to city services, if the taxes matched the price. The taxes should be around 600 bucks per year. Using some abstract appraisal method to determine taxes isn't working. This needs to be changed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post

This house on Chicago Blvd. in Detroit is for sale for 29,900.00. It's property taxes are nearly 8,200.00 per year. This is the problem with Detroit being able to attact new residents.

It's one thing to pay little for a great house, but in a city that does not have a functioning police department, schools, etc., no one is going to incur 8,2000 bucks per year for no services.

However, quite a few would take the plunge, knowing they are on their own with regard to city services, if the taxes matched the price. The taxes should be around 600 bucks per year. Using some abstract appraisal method to determine taxes isn't working. This needs to be changed immediately.
    Good post. Very interesting.

The property taxes on a house are based on its current appraisal, which in the case of a house for sale has absolutely nothing whatever to do with how much the seller is asking.

If the house in fact sells for a pittance, the City [[if it were run normally) would reappraise it based on that, and the tax bill would decrease quite a bit. In Detroit, based on what I read here and my memories of living there, I don't expect that would happen; rather, I expect the new owner would have a drag-out fight on his or her hands to try to convince the City to lower the appraisal.

But it's completely irrelevant to give the listing price of a house for sale and argue that should have anything to do with the tax bill. It does not, in Detroit or Birmingham or Plymouth.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    But it's completely irrelevant to give the listing price of a house for sale and argue that should have anything to do with the tax bill. It does not, in Detroit or Birmingham or Plymouth.
    Regardless, no one is going to pay $8,200 / year in taxes on that house and THAT is the problem.

Lorax Guest

There are thousands of examples of this upside/down property tax dilemma in Detroit, and elsewhere. It is particularly disturbing in Detroit because of the complete lack of city services.

It's unclear that the city even has the ability to collect on those taxes. Some people I know have knowledge of neighbors who haven't paid these crazy taxes in years, and are still living in the homes.

This is also a side effect of what is happening here in Florida, where the Dade County Sherriff's office has stopped evictions based on foreclosures whether due to bad loans, maintenance & assessments on condos, or property taxes. Usually all of these are delinquent simultaneously.

Detroit needs to revamp this system, or we need to combine city/county efforts, as is done here in Miami/Dade County, where a regional authority is responsible for managing the area. This wouldn't probably happen, if it meant all Wayne County cities shared the same services. The Grosse Pointes in particular would fight this tooth and nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Regardless, no one is going to pay $8,200 / year in taxes on that house and THAT is the problem.
    Yes, but it's not a Detroit problem per se, and the city has limited control over how those rates are determined. The problem is primarily a statewide one, and has to do with measures that Michigan voters, not Detroit voters, and the state legislature have passed over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    There are thousands of examples of this upside/down property tax dilemma in Detroit, and elsewhere. It is particularly disturbing in Detroit because of the complete lack of city services.

It's unclear that the city even has the ability to collect on those taxes. Some people I know have knowledge of neighbors who haven't paid these crazy taxes in years, and are still living in the homes.

This is also a side effect of what is happening here in Florida, where the Dade County Sherriff's office has stopped evictions based on foreclosures whether due to bad loans, maintenance & assessments on condos, or property taxes. Usually all of these are delinquent simultaneously.

Detroit needs to revamp this system, or we need to combine city/county efforts, as is done here in Miami/Dade County, where a regional authority is responsible for managing the area. This wouldn't probably happen, if it meant all Wayne County cities shared the same services. The Grosse Pointes in particular would fight this tooth and nail.
    I have a friend who lives near Miami. She says one of the main reasons the Sheriffs office supported stopping evictions was to reduce the number of abandoned properties. There, as here, many of those abandoned homes or apartments become problems for law enforcement due to drug or other illegal activities or arson. So their thinking is keep the original residents in their homes, they will most likely continue to maintain them in some fashion, and the crime rates will not increase in those neighborhoods. If only more communities would at least look into a similar program.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Yes, but it's not a Detroit problem per se, and the city has limited control over how those rates are determined. The problem is primarily a statewide one, and has to do with measures that Michigan voters, not Detroit voters, and the state legislature have passed over the years.
    Could you clarify how Detroit has limited control over millage rates?

I wasn't talking about millage, I was following on Professorscott's point about the relationship between sales price and tax rate. It's state law, as modified by the voters, that determines how that relationship works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast