Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Breaking News, Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland is going to retire!

This is just great! Detroit Tigers is losing its best long time legendary manager Jim Leyland. He fix our Tigers from a its doom and gloom in the 1990s. This is be a sad day for our fans. Thank-you Jim Leyland for making Detroit Tigers a major powerhouse in American League.

THE STREET PROPHETS SALUTE YOU.

General Manager Dave Dombrowski is the one who made the Detroit Tigers a major powerhouse in the American League. Leyland is the one whose stupid pitch-count philosophy has them watching the World Series on television.

While I don't agree with the pitch count system, I am wondering if the reason was to protect the arms of the starters. Not blow them out. Leyland is 68. He looks tired. Been a long year. Hope he still stays with the club as a scout or something. JMO

I like Jim Leyland. He contributed a lot to the success of a once embarrassing team. However, I must agree with Ray. The pitch count should be one of many considerations, not dogma.
    It is hoped that whoever replaces Mr. Leyland will teach these superstars the basics of base running.

Saw a clip on TV today of him retiring. I am 74 and he looked about ten or fifteen years older than I am. I think that he has been burned out by the pressure over the years. Enjoy retirement, Jim, you have earned it and thank you very much for what you have given to the Tigers and their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Saw a clip on TV today of him retiring. I am 74 and he looked about ten or fifteen years older than I am. I think that he has been burned out by the pressure over the years. Enjoy retirement, Jim, you have earned it and thank you very much for what you have given to the Tigers and their fans.
    As much as I want to be all crabby about this, Hemrod is right. Thanks for the two World Series trips and some great post seasons. Here's to hoping he can stick around in a less stressful role and help shape the future of our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    His smoking habit contributes to looking old and tired as well. Anyway, best of luck to "Jimmy Smokes"

I think he was a really good manager, baseball was absolutely dead in this town from 1988 until 2006. Was he the only reason for the Tigers resurgence? No, but he played a huge role. I hope we have as much success with the next manager.

Guess what? Leyland is more liberal than most with regard to pitch counts.