Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Leyland out as Tigers Manager ???

Press conference scheduled for 11:30...Word on the street he told his players after the loss in Boston...Whaler

Last Hurrah now displaying on Tigers Scoreboard. [added by DetroitYES admin]

I think he got tired of all the second guessers. Probably figured he'd never get this close again. That said, he seemed to be getting near the end of the line. I'm sure a few of his coaches would have been forced out too. His record will be hard to match though. He did a better job than Sparky ever did. Time for new blood. He's a nice guy that had a tough job and he did it admirably most of the time. Have a happy retirement!

The job is exhausting, I'm sure. He did great work for the team. I hope we get a great replacement. I'd love to bring Alan Trammell back. After he became manager, Leyland gave a lot of credit to Tram for putting the clubs comeback on a good footing. Maybe we could sign Scotty Bowman as coach?

You beat my thread to it.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    He did a better job than Sparky ever did.
    Which World Series did the Tigers win under Leyland?

He had a good run, but we all knew it was coming to an end, especially with the absolutely huge case of "WTF" that was our post season.

I thought he was a decent manager and certainly it wasn't his fault the team didn't win the WS. Jackson seemed to revert to his former self after straightening out last yr. Fielder was a terrible signing as I said at the time and Cabrera was injured. What are you supposed to do when it takes 4 singles to get a runner home?

Leyland is a better than average manager. His biggest downfall this year and most of last was Fielder. That signing hurt the club more than helped. That is on Illitch. Fielder's problems go all the way back to his daddy. Growing up with Cecil as a dad was not a normal childhood. That is why Prince has such resentment towards Cecil, when things go bad, he acts shell shocked. Cecil had many demons. Cecil had a big friendship with Tony Phillips. Those 2 partied like no tomorrow back in the 90's, actually needed rehab to get back to spring training every year, but did not go. Not a good atmosphere for a kid to grow up in. If Illitch had done his homework, he would have found those issues, that many in baseball knew. Sorry for the off the subject rant, that is how I feel. Leyland had the horses, but they were not perfect.

Leland's winning pct. with Tigers .540. Sparky's winning pct. .516. Leland's teams were more competitive.