Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Job in Detroit, Looking for Lunch Spots

I've just accepted a position with a company in Detroit, albeit not close to downtown. It's in the 8 Mile & Mound area. Any good spots to grab something to eat in that area?

I'm assuming your not familiar with the area . Breakfast , lunch , dinner ? Fast food , sit-down ? They have the usual fast food places up and down 8 Mile Rd. , if you've heard of Tim Horton's there is one on 8 Mile and Mound for coffee , donuts , and a limited menu for sandwiches for lunch . Further up Mound at 12 Mile is a Buffalo Wild Wings , a mile East of Mound is Van Dyke , you can find lots of pizza places and many fast food places , and a few sit downs from about 10 Mile Rd. heading North

Depends on how much time you get for lunch.

1hr lunch break, I would suggest heading north on Mound to 12 mile.
    12 mile & Mound
    Five Guys
    Qdoba
    Pei Wei
    Jimmy Johns
    Chilis
    Oasis Mediterrean
    Lenny's Subs
    BWW

I also reccomend Siam Cousine[[Thai food) 9 mile and Mound

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've just accepted a position with a company in Detroit, albeit not close to downtown. It's in the 8 Mile & Mound area. Any good spots to grab something to eat in that area?
    Try Marcus Hamburgers,

https://plus.google.com/107645002278...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Nono's Pizza on Van Dyke, just north of 8 Mile. Falling Down Beer Company on 10 Mile between Ryan and Dequindre. Vern Haney's on Van Dyke [[formerly a Howard Johnson's) in Center Line. Nortown Bakery on 7 Mile between Van Dyke and Mound, great for an occasional snack. Marcus Hamburger and Taylor Made Phat Burgers [[on 7 Mile between Mound and Ryan) in Detroit are good, too.

Only go to 12 and Mound if you want to watch your money fly out of Metro Detroit.

white way hamburgers.

It's not my side of town, so I can't help with the immediate vicinity, but you're about 3 miles from the original Buddy's Pizza, and perhaps another mile from Hamtramck. I would definitely consider that a perk of the job.

Loui's Pizza on Dequindre N of 9.

Dakota Inn, On John R, south of 6 mile rd. Red Hots Coney Island, On Victor , south of Woodward.
    La Dolce Vita on Woodward north of 6 mile rd

Dutch Girl Donuts!!! I don't care if it's not a lunch spot.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Only go to 12 and Mound if you want to watch your money fly out of Metro Detroit.
    12 and Mound is Metro Detroit; I think you meant City of Detroit.

I think La Dolce is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    12 and Mound is Metro Detroit; I think you meant City of Detroit.
    I think his point was that 12 and Mound were all national chains and the profits go to corporate instead of staying in the area.

Worth the ride is Johnny's [[if it's still open) on 6 Mile east of Conant , a great breakfast and coney's are on the menu for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Depends on how much time you get for lunch.

1hr lunch break, I would suggest heading north on Mound to 12 mile.
    12 mile & Mound
    Five Guys
    Qdoba
    Pei Wei
    Jimmy Johns
    Chilis
    Oasis Mediterrean
    Lenny's Subs
    BWW

I also reccomend Siam Cousine[[Thai food) 9 mile and Mound
    Woah. this is DetroitYES, not SuburbiaYES.

For some reason there seems to be a shortage of places to have lunch on the Detroit side of 8 Mile , we all wish it were different , but it is what it is . Not in Detroit , but within sight of 8 Mile and Mound is one of my favorites White Castle's on 8 Mile and Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    For some reason there seems to be a shortage of places to have lunch on the Detroit side of 8 Mile , we all wish it were different , but it is what it is . Not in Detroit , but within sight of 8 Mile and Mound is one of my favorites White Castle's on 8 Mile and Sherwood
    My father worked on Sherwood between 8 and 9 Mile during the early 50s [[lots of factories along Sherwood then.

He always had my mother pack a lunch bucket. Two sandwiches, an apple, and a thermos of coffee was the standard.

As mentioned 8 & Mound is four miles from Hamtramck. Lunch opportunities aplenty if you have an hour. Mound ends at Caniff, so take Caniff to Hamtramck for

Polish: Polonia, Polish Village, both on Yemans e of Campau.
    Bangladeshi/Indian: Aladdin Cafe. Fantastic, spicy and cheap, they have a sweet shop too. Conant @ Commor.
    Under the counter take out: Bishr Poultry [[best fried chicken around, or try the vegetable stew with basmati or yellow rice, feeds four for ten bucks) Conant @ Carpenter.
    Fish Fish on the corner of Carpenter and Campau
    Mexican: Maria's Comida [[are they still open?) On Campau across the street from L. George Coney.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I think La Dolce is closed.
    What are you on about? According to somebody from Yelp they went there the beginning of the month. Telling stories, are we? If I weren't hundreds of miles away I'd see what's going on for myself. I'll be damned if I'd lunch in Warren at some burger joint. This board can be such a sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Woah. this is DetroitYES, not SuburbiaYES.
    What?? You've been here 10 months and you didn't read the fine print in DYES??

"The internets largest discussion of all topics related to the Detroit - Windsor family of COMMUNITIES..."

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I take it that you never buy gas, furniture, electronics or appliances??

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Mikeg19... you've been given a lot of good suggestions both within the city and in nearby suburbs. Choose whatever suits you... no matter what it is... much of the food is likely imported from out-of-state anyway... but whatever you choose [[ignore some of the loopier comments here)... you'll be supporting local jobs in the metro-Detroit market.

Loopier? I guess that's what you get for supporting mom & pop shops over chains these days! Of course, only a man as educated and rational as Gistok understands that - for example - shopping at Wal-Mart is just as good for the local economy as shopping at a locally owned market.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I used to own a house near Hoover & 12 Mile, so I'm familiar with the 12 & Mound area food selections. I do get an hour for lunch, so I'll be able to explore a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    Dutch Girl Donuts!!! I don't care if it's not a lunch spot.
    "Donuts, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast