Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Startup moving to Detroit - office incentives & suggestions?

Hello everyone.

I'm launching my company Original Stix later this fall. We will be producing iPhone cases built out of authentic, game used hockey sticks. Anyway, production will be done at tool and die shops in the suburbs, but for the main HQ I am looking for a small, lockable office where I can keep a desk, printer, computer, and landline so I can manage sales and marketing online - doesn't have to be much larger than a dorm. Additionally, I'd like to move out of my parents house to downtown Detroit, but that is a little easier to find. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on any incentives or affordable spaces I may be overlooking?

I'm looking for somewhere in the ballpark of $500/mo for the office space, but would like to have the HQ in downtown Detroit. I know about the dime building suites, and the shared workspaces, but it seems as though everything else out there is 500 or 600 sq ft. and above.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Ideally, some type of 2 story office/apartment deal would work out, but not sure if theyre anywhere downtown for $1000-$1500.

Thanks everyone.

Terry

Wow! How cool! I am a huge fan of protective Iphone cases and have a couple I switch back and forth from when I want to change the look of my phone. Uncovered Iphones are as delicate as a crystal champagne glass. The Otterbox phone covering could use some healthy competition!

Downtown can be very expensive. Perhaps you can find appropriate space in the Midtown area... something with a small foot print like a sub-lease? Best to you and welcome to DetroitYes!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-20-13 at 06:17 AM.

Thats what I was thinking. I think the company would fit in more with some of the other made in Detroit companies in mid town. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

1. Inquire with Bedrock Mtg. they may be to find a space for you.
    2. Check out the Metropolitan Bld. in Cass Park, I think they have small space leases.
    3. Check with Midtown Inc. http://midtowndetroitinc.org/develop...al-real-estate

I am looking for a small, lockable office where I can keep a desk, printer, computer, and landline so I can manage sales and marketing online
    Pickings for this will probably be slim. And it's probably an unnecessary expense.

Work out of your home instead for 4 months; use the savings to buy a nice laptop. Get a second number for your phone [[Line 2, google voice, whatever), or just run everything through your cell phone number.

Don't get tied down to a land line number at an address you don't own. And don't tie yourself to being physically present at a small shoebox of an office 60 hours a week just to catch a few incoming calls.

For some folks...like me, it's better to have a separate office to go to. Some of us are not disciplined enough to work at home. Also, if you are going to have meetings with customers, manufacturers, etc., it means you have to keep your house immaculate just in case. And I agree with keeping a land line. Many times the land lines are the only thing that working!

Anyway...I know nothing of real estate in the D, but I wish you luck in your new company and search for space. Welcome to DetroitYes!

You should also make cases for the Galaxy S3 and S4. So I can buy one. Android users want cool cases too!

What about http://www.bamboodetroit.com? I first read about this space on Curbed.com.

Marsha, is that the second floor space above the Detroit Pub?

Why the downtown Detroit office? Sounds like an unnecessary affectation. You can easily run this thing virtually. From anywhere, including Panera or Mom's basement.

If you want a Detroit office for the social aspect and cross-pollination save your rent money for bar tabs.

there are apartments that you can rent in Brush Park on John R in your price range. Several buildings have been renovated and it is right where you need to be. Eastern Market to the East, DTWN to the South, MidTown to the northwest.
    All is within walking distance or just a few minutes by car.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Marsha, is that the second floor space above the Detroit Pub?
    I don't think so, I think it's near or upstairs from the old Courthouse Brasserie.

Definitely check into Bedrock and explain your situation. New start ups in some of those buildings get rent downtown for $75/month. The goal is to populate them with the next big company. You'll be taken care of.

consider west village, some great little spots for rent subsidized through Villages. Some great apartments and flats for rent. 7 maybe 10 minutes from downtown. I am not proselytizing, I live in Islandview. We are the red headed step child of the villages.

Might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I don't think so, I think it's near or upstairs from the old Courthouse Brasserie.
    Thanks. That's where I was thinking until I went to their website and saw it firmly placed on their map at the Gratiot intersection. The address appears to match with the Detroit Pub location, but it seems like an odd business to locate above a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Definitely check into Bedrock and explain your situation. New start ups in some of those buildings get rent downtown for $75/month. The goal is to populate them with the next big company. You'll be taken care of.
    I would second that suggestion. From what I hear about Bizdom U, you might fit right in their plan, and possibly be eligible for some technical assistance, too.

There's also the great DHive, for new biz start up support.

http://dhivedetroit.org/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I actually work out of Bamboo Detroit for my full time job - I work remotely - and really want to keep the two separate. Additionally, I would be storing my inventory in this office space [[Even thousands of phone cases don't take up much room) - so any open work environment or coworking space is out of the question. [[Not that I don't trust coworking spaces - just want to have full responsibility over the inventory etc. haha)

I'll be looking into a few of the spaces mentioned and will keep you guys posted on what happens! Thanks again

Grand river creative corridor. Would be a start. Try pony ride in corktown. Or one of the lofts in hamtramack or t he east water front.

Quote Originally Posted by originalstixdetroit View Post
    Hello everyone.

I'm launching my company Original Stix later this fall. We will be producing iPhone cases built out of authentic, game used hockey sticks. Anyway, production will be done at tool and die shops in the suburbs, but for the main HQ I am looking for a small, lockable office where I can keep a desk, printer, computer, and landline so I can manage sales and marketing online - doesn't have to be much larger than a dorm. Additionally, I'd like to move out of my parents house to downtown Detroit, but that is a little easier to find. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on any incentives or affordable spaces I may be overlooking?

I'm looking for somewhere in the ballpark of $500/mo for the office space, but would like to have the HQ in downtown Detroit. I know about the dime building suites, and the shared workspaces, but it seems as though everything else out there is 500 or 600 sq ft. and above.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Ideally, some type of 2 story office/apartment deal would work out, but not sure if theyre anywhere downtown for $1000-$1500.

Thanks everyone.

Terry

What Gvidas said.
    It sounds like what you need is AKA your home office or the spare bedroom in your apartment. Why assume a lease and the bills that come with it? Think of how many iphone cases you need to sell to cover your unnecessary office

originalstix, can you confirm for me the questions Marsha and I have been bouncing around? Is bamboodetroit indeed above the Detroit Pub?