Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Starbucks opening at Campus Martius

I had noticed a Starbucks opening soon sign inside the empty space of the Ernst and Young building. Potbelly will open in the same space as well. I wonder will it be set up like a food court in the space. I will still go to my other coffee shops such as 1515 Broadway and The Roasting Plant

it may be open in the inside.. but i actually think it's going to be set up completely like separate retail shops with entrances at the street for each one.. i was just at campus martius a few hours ago and it looked like there were areas for each spot having doors put in for access to the outside...

i don't see why they would want to isolate people from campus martius and make it hard to get inside those spots..

all that being said even though some people may think it's too mainstream .. lookin at you hipsters.. it's definitely good to see these spots starting to fill up.. hopefully it'll trickle down woodward and we'll start seeing more restaraunts and retail pop up on woodward all the way down to grand circus park

Good ideal for Gilbertown Detroit, more hipster cafes and restaurants. That store space haven't been used since 2000.

While downtown Detroit needs every retailer it can to become a viable business district again it's a sign of how far there is to go when Starbucks is still seen as an improvement. I worked in downtown SF until retiring last year and you could actually sit in one Starbucks and look out and see another nearby! People would go out of their way to patronize Peets, a coffee chain based in Berkeley, which has an incredibly caffeinated brew.

The chains are starting to see the opportunity!

Keep in mind folks that while there still huge opportunities for improvement, the changes we have seen have happened in just 3-4 years.

I hope that all this development, job moving, and job creation continue to snowball.

I had contacted Peetes asking if a Peetes coffee shop would open in downtown Detroit. The answer was no. I was told that the suggestion would be passed along to upper mgnt.

No, no, no, Starbucks should not be allowed to open there. We should save the space for a real coffee shop with the coffee trees manured by the output of virgin armadillos and slow roasted over Canadian fir tree wood. Detroit deserves only the best and not the chain store stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had contacted Peetes asking if a Peetes coffee shop would open in downtown Detroit. The answer was no. I was told that the suggestion would be passed along to upper mgnt.

New perks are coming for coffee lovers

Peet’s Coffee & Tea Inc., a California-based chain, plans to open seven stores in southeast Michigan by the end of November in former Caribou Coffee outlets.
    The locations include Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe, Shelby Township, Rochester Hills, Commerce Township, Novi and Ann Arbor.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2iBySLGLW
    It's funny that you will pass up Starbuck's for the locally-owned coffee shops, but you are filled with glee over 7-11 coming downtown because none of the locally-owned convenience store choices are acceptable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

It's funny that you will pass up Starbuck's for the locally-owned coffee shops, but you are filled with glee over 7-11 coming downtown because none of the locally-owned convenience store choices are acceptable to you.
    that is for local gas stations are havens for criminals. Those cities that you had mentioned for Peetes are not downtown Detroit

Peet’s or Starbucks; for me Starbucks, I drink plain strong black coffee, and Starbucks serves their coffee John Wayne style, I didn’t find Peet’s as lethal. Peet’s seems to struggle in San Diego, there are only a few Peet’s in all of San Diego County, there was a Peet’s downtown located inside a grocery store – last winter it closed up and reopened as a Starbucks. So while Starbucks are here, there, and everywhere in San Diego, Peet’s are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Peet’s or Starbucks; for me Starbucks, I drink plain strong black coffee, and Starbucks serves their coffee John Wayne style, I didn’t find Peet’s as lethal. Peet’s seems to struggle in San Diego, there are only a few Peet’s in all of San Diego County, there was a Peet’s downtown located inside a grocery store – last winter it closed up and reopened as a Starbucks. So while Starbucks are here, there, and everywhere in San Diego, Peet’s are few and far between.
    Yes, but Caribou Coffee's are going to be Peet's so they will be fairly ubiquitous in the midwest, including the Detroit area.

that is for local gas stations are havens for criminals. Those cities that you had mentioned for Peetes are not downtown Detroit
    Yes, I know. I was just posting to confirm what you had already been told.

A city takes all kinds. I don't have a problem with 7-11 coming to town. In fact, I welcome it. But I won't go out of my way to be a customer. My point is -- against some common impresssions -- downtown has choices when it comes to making purchases.

You constantly rag on Jazz Convenience, and I don't understand why. They occupy a formerly empty storefront on Woodward, presumably pay taxes, are locally-owned, and are within a block or two of many residents. They are small, and mostly beer, wine and liquor oriented, but if you're in a pinch you can also buy a can of cat food or soup, or a box of cookies. [[I have purchased all of the above there personally.) If they aren't your cup of tea, go somewhere else, but don't begrudge them for filling a need in downtown.

Peet's is owned by the same private equity owners who own Caribou Coffee. In fact, part of the reason they're merging the two coffee shops is to maximize economies of scale. The epitome of the Wall St greed machine =) There is nothing local or independent about Peet's.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Peet's is owned by the same private equity owners who own Caribou Coffee. In fact, part of the reason they're merging the two coffee shops is to maximize economies of scale. The epitome of the Wall St greed machine =) There is nothing local or independent about Peet's.
    Right on!!! We'll show those greedy plutocrats. None of them should ever be allowed to open a business in our vibrant downtown. Only businesses which have been given the DetroitNerd seal of purity should be allowed to make an empty storefront into a growing business.

Yes, I know. I was just posting to confirm what you had already been told.

A city takes all kinds. I don't have a problem with 7-11 coming to town. In fact, I welcome it. But I won't go out of my way to be a customer. My point is -- against some common impresssions -- downtown has choices when it comes to making purchases.

You constantly rag on Jazz Convenience, and I don't understand why. They occupy a formerly empty storefront on Woodward, presumably pay taxes, are locally-owned, and are within a block or two of many residents. They are small, and mostly beer, wine and liquor oriented, but if you're in a pinch you can also buy a can of cat food or soup, or a box of cookies. [[I have purchased all of the above there personally.) If they aren't your cup of tea, go somewhere else, but don't begrudge them for filling a need in downtown.
    I don't have a problem with the convenience store itself but the location that it is at and who hang around it. Stand in front of the store on a hot Saturday night for an hour and you would see what I am talking about. Liquor stores have the wrong element hanging outside of it especially when police don't patrol the area much after 6pm unless it is an event going on downtown. You have an awful liquor store on Broadway which is a haven for crime. Do you find a liquor store on Maple street in Birmingham, Main St in Royal Oak. Kercheval St in Grosse Pointe? No, Many retail don't want to open next to or around a convenience store. I hope that Duggan will continue to build up downtown and make it more retail/business friendly

So as long as a liquor store isn't in the "desired" area, it should be free to open.

I don't follow the liquor store problem?? On and near Mack Ave in Detroit, GPF and GPW are several liquor stores, in 2 Mr. C's Deli's, Rite Aid, and 2 wine shops... as well as a liquor store up the road at a 7-Eleven in SCS. Never see any riff-raff in those locations??

Campus Martius Park is going to smell like coffee all day haha. #firstworldproblems.

Retail diversity will come...there is plenty of space still to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't follow the liquor store problem?? On and near Mack Ave in Detroit, GPF and GPW are several liquor stores, in 2 Mr. C's Deli's, Rite Aid, and 2 wine shops... as well as a liquor store up the road at a 7-Eleven in SCS. Never see any riff-raff in those locations??
    Grosse pointe
    has a strong police force

I think it's a good thing that a chain such as Starbucks is opening up in the area. It goes to show that after the success of Buffalo Wild Wings, Whole Foods, etc, national chains and retailers can have a successful business model in the core of a city that's deemed a disaster by many people.

I almost feel like the slow trickle of national retailers and restaurants is starting to pick up pace, and the dam is going to burst in the next 2-3 years. I'm not sure how large of a role the bankruptcy will play on that, but we will see fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I think it's a good thing that a chain such as Starbucks is opening up in the area. It goes to show that after the success of Buffalo Wild Wings, Whole Foods, etc, national chains and retailers can have a successful business model in the core of a city that's deemed a disaster by many people.

I almost feel like the slow trickle of national retailers and restaurants is starting to pick up pace, and the dam is going to burst in the next 2-3 years. I'm not sure how large of a role the bankruptcy will play on that, but we will see fairly soon.

This is not exactly the fist time Starbucks has opened downtown. A few years ago there were lots of Starbucks but the company had financial issues. The company is stronger now, but so is the competition. Many of the old locations became Tim Horton's.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This is not exactly the fist time Starbucks has opened downtown. A few years ago there were lots of Starbucks but the company had financial issues. The company is stronger now, but so is the competition. Many of the old locations became Tim Horton's.
    True. The first Starbucks was in the Buhl maybe 10 years ago, right? And the one in the center of the Ren Cen, which has been there for several years is still going strong, even with a Tim Horton's across the ped bridge in the Millender.

I don't have a problem with the convenience store itself but the location that it is at and who hang around it. Stand in front of the store on a hot Saturday night for an hour and you would see what I am talking about.
    Perhaps the bus stop in front has something to do with that?

I enjoy playing Sim City as much as anybody, stasu, but cities grow organically. Would I rather see a City Target in their location? Sure. But would I rather have the empty storefront that was their before? No.

They don't have an eternal lease. When the market grows to the point that the space can get higher rents, Jazz will be gone.

There used to a Downtown Starbucks on the corner of Griswold and Congress inside the Buhl Building. It was closed in 2009. Now another hipster cafe.

Perhaps the bus stop in front has something to do with that?

I enjoy playing Sim City as much as anybody, stasu, but cities grow organically. Would I rather see a City Target in their location? Sure. But would I rather have the empty storefront that was their before? No.

They don't have an eternal lease. When the market grows to the point that the space can get higher rents, Jazz will be gone.
    No one wants an empty storefront. I am sure that Gilbert would had purchased that storefront and had something else in it. Not many businesses would open around a liquor store as I had stated earlier. It attracts too many unwanted characters. Grosse Pointe don't allow loitering outside the liquor stores on Mack. Detroit is short of man power when it comes to police especially after dark in the downtown area on an uneventful night

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast