Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hot Incident @Chase Tower 10/18/2013

Woke this morning slowly, thanks Tigers, and heard the story UNdevelope on WDET about an incident at Gilbert's hub...the place where he reportedly has that extensive video surveillance room in one of the old vaults.

First it was a traffic advisory against heading to Woodward, since there was a FIRE in one of the upper floors in the building.

Over a period of a half hour, it seems they were advised to say SMALL fire...and later we heard an even more trite descriptor. Seems Gilbert's PR team got to work early, putting any further fire in the media out. Uh-huh.

I don't think he wants it common knowledge that he's escaped a TON of city oversight with the rush of building acquisition and renovation...according to a report from someone who worked in the CAY when his splurge began, who saw their bosses fretting and fuming that he wasn't pulling permits for any of his new holdings.

So, based upon THAT knowledge, which should be easy enough to substantiate for those who wish to investigate, I'm wondering how much of Gilbert's portfolio is now a potential fire hazard. I'd like to know if his offices are up to code, and if any fire officials were able to fully investigate the properties before they were given Occupancy Permits, IF they ever were.

I'm NOT making accusations here, I'm asking questions based upon new knowledge. Knowing he got a green light to renovate all of his buildings without that pesky and pricey permitting process is enough to understand why he was one of the big givers to Kwhyme's administration even after it was obvious that fat cat was the most corrupt city leader ever. One wonders how Bing was 'reached' to insure this secret deal was secure...only time will tell.

We've got too much history in this town with catastrophic fires...

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; October-18-13 at 06:55 AM.

If you want to know I suggest you put on your tin foil hat and go find out.

What the hell are you blathering about now, Gannon? Jesus Christ...I put more stock into the validity of Danny's comments then yours sometimes. I work on the 6th floor of the Chase Building. The fire was in the cafeteria on the 8th floor. Apparently it was very minor. That's why we are all here at work today. It wasn't a big deal [[except for the food service workers in the cafeteria who went home for the day).
    Last edited by Armin; October-18-13 at 08:16 AM.

Just a small electrical fire. It's put right away along with sprinkler systems. The building is open today.

Not sure how you can confuse a freezer fire in a cafeteria with a mass conspiracy around video survelliance.

I'd support Quicken suing you for libel and defamation =)

Heh...

By the time I got down there, all that was left were the cleanup crews. Glad it wasn't a big deal. It was just funny how it went from a fire to a small fire to an investigation in a half hour, made us laugh...but finally got us out of bed. Was a tough one, I'm sure we're not alone.

But the questions remain about the greenlighting of the permits and all from the top...I'm sure he just wanted to avoid those money-grabbers in the middle, but a bunch of them were just busted...so I'm sure any new building owners will want to insure there is a level playing field in the competition for rebuilding the city.

I only learned that a night ago, and was going to start a discussion here about it anyways, this whole fire-smallfire-investigation thing just made for a convenient association...pre-caffeine.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; October-18-13 at 09:10 AM.

Move to Detroit from the planet you know occupy.

Sorry for the misplaced "k", I meant the planet you NOW occupy.

Isn't there other very serious problems to care about?

Zefs made a lot of money due to the fire. Many Quicken Loans employees had went there for breakfast and lunch

Thank you Gannon, our personal accounts went totally wierd with Chase yesterday. Will spare details, but we tried to pay two small bills via phone, one did not recognize our account, the other processed info but declined our payment???????

Got a bit freaked and checked balances electronically and our checking supposedly had 48K in it???? cool but soooo not true. Wish it was!

We were at the bank first thing today, they were very considerate, etc. Treated us a bit as if we had had a senior moment. Also told us it must have been the other companies with a computer glitch. One was DTE. All was working fine today. They paid our bills that were rejected via phone yesterday. My balances all seem in order but ...yep, something crashed at Chase.

Am sorry that they caught my balance was listed at $48K. Actually joking, I am very honest. There definitely was some problems that got corrected over night. They are so not telling truth.

Go Gannon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I don't think he wants it common knowledge that he's escaped a TON of city oversight with the rush of building acquisition and renovation...according to a report from someone who worked in the CAY when his splurge began, who saw their bosses fretting and fuming that he wasn't pulling permits for any of his new holdings.
    I've been through a lot of the Gilbert buildings, and I can tell you that they all have automatic fire suppression systems. Most of his buildings have open ceilings and you can see all the pipes, sprinkler heads, etc...

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill my friend and coming to a lot of conclusions based on speculation and extrapolation.

The most smoke I've seen coming from Gilbert's empire is from the northwest corner of the Chase building where so many people smoke that you can't even walk down the sidewalk without breathing a ton of the junk in.

Nice anecdote Sumas [[or should I say another tribulation in your tumultuous life )... but THE QUBE... as the former Chase Tower is now called... still has some Chase employee offices in the building... but no servers or data center in there. So source of your banking glitch happened elsewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Nice anecdote Sumas [[or should I say another tribulation in your tumultuous life )... but THE QUBE... as the former Chase Tower is now called... still has some Chase employee offices in the building... but no servers or data center in there. So source of your banking glitch happened elsewhere....
    Nice compliment actually, Anecdote: a short narrative [[written or oral)describing an event in an amusing or interesting fashion.

Rather sweet but sure you meant something else. Also liked the alliteration, tribulation/tumultuous. Beware though, people might start bitching that you use more than 4 letters in a word. And unjustly, I have been accused of being pompous for using the rich vocabulary our language provides. Sigh!

Yes, briefly our accounts went weird and Chase won't fess up.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Yes, briefly our accounts went weird and Chase won't fess up.
    In my experience of corporate America, 1% of the time it's malice, the other 99% it's incompetence. My vote is that one hand probably didn't know what the other hand is doing.