Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Failed Jail, officially failed... in the process of being torn down

400 million dollars gone... kind of pleased though because a jail should never, ever, ever be this close to an urban downtown...

hopefully gilbert and co take it over and develop this into something worthwhile.. especially with close proximity to the stadiums/ greektown.. prime location.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...pile-of-rubble

Completely agreed, SD. How on Earth putting a jail there ever seemed like a good idea, I'll never know.

How in the living hell is Bob Ficano STILL kicking around? The dude is obviously corrupt and, on top of that, a terrible executive. If Lansing wants to take out our rubbish for us, please look to Mr. Ficano next.

“$404,000,000 --- Wasted………….BOB!"

Now that we agree it should have NEVER been built in the CBD, can we move on to getting Ficano out of office?? Perhaps maybe even into jail?

Everything this jerk has touched has turned into a nightmare. Examples:

Turkia Mullen – Metro Airport, et al
    Aide Tahir Kazmi pleads guilty to accepting bribes
    Sweetheart severance packages
    Sweetheart pension plans for insiders
    FBI corruption probe http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...AL01/121019003
    And now $404,000,000 being turned into cement dust

How can this guy run for reelection in 2014 and expect to get ANY votes?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Completely agreed, SD. How on Earth putting a jail there ever seemed like a good idea, I'll never know.
    Because the jail has been in that same few blocks since the early 1800s? And because it's adjacent to most of the courts?

Remember, the Wayne County Jail is supposed to be for pre-trial detention and short sentences. It's not a penitentiary.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-17-13 at 02:23 PM.

We have to be patient and take these things one step at a time.

Dave Bing

Then Robert Ficano.

Then Rick Snyder.

With pieces of floatsam that big you have to make sure they flush thoroughly.

As for the idea of moving all the jails/courts away from downtown, I'm down.

My defense attorney sister however is not a fan of the idea [[to put it lightly).

I definitely don't want to move the courts out of downtown. That's what Oakland County did, and it was a severe blow to downtown Pontiac. And it made the courts far less accessible to non-driving county residents. So, I guess that means I want the jail to remain downtown too.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I definitely don't want to move the courts out of downtown. That's what Oakland County did, and it was a severe blow to downtown Pontiac. And it made the courts far less accessible to non-driving county residents. So, I guess that means I want the jail to remain downtown too.
    I don't understand how putting the jail at Mound Road would require the courts to move. it's 5 miles away. It would be like Macomb county. Courts downtown....jail over on Grosebeck.

How can he not know it's being demolished? Does this guy think were all idiots? I wonder what the deal is going to be with that property. That is probably one of the most important sites in downtown now, considering it's going to act as a gateway to Gilbertville. But please, no soccer stadium....

Robert "The wife cheater" Ficano will not get my vote next year. His poltical career is OVER!

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of a place that they call the Wayne County.
    The county, it’s said, never takes a low bid
    When disbursing the taxpayers’ bounty.

All the tons of concrete that they poured in the street,
    Where Gratiot meet up with St. Antoine,
    The piles of rebar from the Wayne County czar,
    Were paid for from Grosse Pointe to Canton.

All that structural steel was a big sweetheart deal,
    A lucrative jail-building contract.
    As the big lockups go, it was bigger than most,
    And its estimates equally abstract.

The cost overruns started coming in bulk,
    Giving Wayne County folks a bad feelin’.
    Four-hundred million for a half-finished hulk?
    Could it be John Rakolta was stealin’?

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...d#.UmFhjI6f8up

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    400 million dollars gone... kind of pleased though because a jail should never, ever, ever be this close to an urban downtown...

hopefully gilbert and co take it over and develop this into something worthwhile.. especially with close proximity to the stadiums/ greektown.. prime location.

Is that 400M for real or a number picked out of the air??

Did I read 200M interest?

How can that be?

charlie leduff. often wrong but never in doubt

http://www.freep.com/article/2013101...ne-County-jail

Quote Originally Posted by Pazen Hingree View Post
    charlie leduff. often wrong but never in doubt

http://www.freep.com/article/2013101...ne-County-jail

Is he with a Faux [[AKA Fox) station? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    floatsam that big you have to make sure they flush thoroughly.
    ROTFL! Need an extra large toilet - that non-clogging straight shooter - doo-doo tooter!

One thing I don't get about Ficano is that I haven't seen any proof that he has directly benefitted from anything. Its always contractors or his friends but its like he takes care of everyone else except himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    One thing I don't get about Ficano is that I haven't seen any proof that he has directly benefitted from anything. Its always contractors or his friends but its like he takes care of everyone else except himself.

uhhh... if your friends are benefitting.. you really think he's just letting them keep it all???

uhhh... if your friends are benefitting.. you really think he's just letting them keep it all???
    I don't see any evidence that he's asking people for a cut of their pension or a cut of their salary. In fact he lives in some small Livonia ranch. So he's not living the high life either. Unless you have proof that Turkia gave him a cut of the severance or anything else, he has been clean.