Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default ALEXANDRINE ST AND CASS AVE Building getting torn down.

I just got back from the hub and noticed the building on Cass and alexandrine is getting torn down. Any news on that location.

Too bad Danny from the Miami didnt buy it. For $80,000 I would think it you could get a prefab parking garage put onto the existing lots on Alex, maybe not. Hate to see that building go though.

Anyone know anything about the house across the street on the SW corner. I heard a rumor about Libracie or possibly Houdini that I cannot quite remember.

Really? More parking. You gotta be kidding me.

John Brannon told me the old Freezer Theatre was there, and Negative Approach played there back in the early 80's.

Negative Approach played the Old Miami next door, the last time just a few years ago and it was crazy but no blood. Im curious about the Freezer Theater?

I just Googled it and it came up as the car repair place on the South side of the Miami which would be the next corner down.

Im surprised Ive NEVER heard of the Freezer Theater.

Brannon must have gave the Miami a nickname the Freezer Theater because they didnt have shit for heat back then. they still dont have have air con.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Brannon must have gave the Miami a nickname the Freezer Theater because they didnt have shit for heat back then. they still dont have have air con.
    No, it was a real place. I saw Minor Threat play there. This site gives the address as 3958 Cass.

http://www.motorcityrock.com/venues/...r_theater.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, it was a real place. I saw Minor Threat play there. This site gives the address as 3958 Cass.

http://www.motorcityrock.com/venues/...r_theater.html
    Great link, Pam. Lotsa memories.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    John Brannon told me the old Freezer Theatre was there, and Negative Approach played there back in the early 80's.
    I knew I had been in that building! The Freezer was there, in one of the Cass storefronts. It was originally up on Hancock by Wayne and was much more a real avant-garde theater at that time. After it moved down on Cass around 1981 it became a venue for the type of hardcore punk shows that were not really welcome in local bars like the Old Miami.

There was a young guy with some Lansing connections that I knew who was involved in running the shows there, and I went there a couple of times with Tesco Vee and the whole Lansing/MSU punk crowd. The funny part was that a lot of those kids were actually scared of coming into Detroit, and since I was from the city and had spent a lot of my teen years hanging around that area they brought me along as some sort of Sherpa/magic talisman.

The place itself was just an old windowless storefront, which was extremely cramped, incredibly hot, very uncomfortable, and truthfully pretty scary once people started flailing around. They had no permits for these shows, so the cops were always hassling them. And the punk kids, who had a suburban teen distaste for cops, and certainly didn't know how to act around the Detroit Police, did themselves no favors in that regard. This was a factor in why it didn't last all that long.

Here's an old DYes thread on the Freezer Theater:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/91697/101682.html

Don't know how anybody would think Brannon wouldn't know the difference between the Miami and the Freezer! Don't doubt John B...

My Bad, I have been to a few clubs in the 80s like Bookies City Club and the Graystone but never knew of the Freezer Theater. BTW, very jealous of the Minor Threat show you saw Pam.
    NA have played the Miami, I assumed it was an old haunt for them.