Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Abandoned Midtown Theater Hosting First Concert Tomorrow

You may or may not be familiar with it, but the development that has been going on a few stores down from Great Lakes Coffee in Midtown is to be known as The Gardens At Midtown, which will include a new, 50 something unit loft building, retail, and a revamped historical theater known as The Garden Theater. The theater is actually scheduled to finish renovations just in time for it's first concert tomorrow night [[October 17). Hip-Hop super group Deltron 3030 [[www.deltron3030.com) is going to be performing on the 17th, with performances later in the year by Mint Condition, and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. The theater has a 2,400 general admission capacity, along with a restaurant [[Grille @ Midtown) and a VIP second level. Very exciting news for us Detroit theater junkies!
    http://gardensatmidtown.com/
    Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  39.3 KBName:  rendering1.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  36.6 KBName:  TheaterBarLOWRES_05252011.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  36.2 KBName:  untitled1.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  46.6 KB
    Last edited by jw101; October-16-13 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks for the info jw101... only one point of contention... the theatre has only room for 1,400 people, max... per this Curbed Detroit article and attached Channel 7 News broadcast...

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...mber-debut.php

Also many of the earlier C. Howard Crane details in the Auditorium are being preserved [[they were hidden above a drop ceiling for decades).

It's people like the development team of George Stewart that have the vision to bring back this city... one block at a time.

This has to be one of the better "adaptive reuse" examples in the city in recent memory. I hope that Dan Gilbert takes a tour of this place to get an idea of some of the possibilities that the National Theatre has... even when the auditorium itself is not preserved.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-16-13 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the info jw101... only one point of contention... the theatre has only room for 1,400 people, max... per this Curbed Detroit article and attached Channel 7 News broadcast...

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...mber-debut.php

Also many of the earlier C. Howard Crane details in the Auditorium are being preserved [[they were hidden above a drop ceiling for decades).

It's people like the development team of George Stewart that have the vision to bring back this city... one block at a time.

This has to be one of the better "adaptive reuse" examples in the city in recent memory. I hope that Dan Gilbert takes a tour of this place to get an idea of some of the possibilities that the National Theatre has... even when the auditorium itself is not preserved.
    Haha, sorry. Thanks.

Looks a bit nicer than the old Sassy Cat.

It looks like "generic corporate auditorium" from those pics

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Looks a bit nicer than the old Sassy Cat.
    I miss the old Sassy Cat. It was really classy.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It looks like "generic corporate auditorium" from those pics
    Those pics seem to get contradicted in the video. I wonder if they were drawn up before they discovered what was above the drop ceiling in the auditorium?

Really cool video taken at the Theater tonight! [[October 16) http://instagram.com/p/fi-vFcrEow/#

Those virtual hipsters chilling in the hallway are pretty hysterical...

I going to the "Mint Condition" concert @ The Garden Theater on Nov. 3, CAN'T WAIT!!!

I miss my old dirty Cass Corridor. My logic is....not with the populous though.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I miss my old dirty Cass Corridor. My logic is....not with the populous though.
    Django... "antiseptic" is always prefered over "septic"!

... although I find the excessive plain wall brickwork at the back of the auditorium "jarring"... as compared to the surviving ceiling details.

Also... gritty and dirty are just other words for "patina"...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-17-13 at 01:19 AM.

Both 1,400 and 2,400 capacity seem very high for this space. Does anyone know what the original capacity of that theatre was? I'd have guessed around 400.

The original seating of the Garden Theatre was 903. The video from the developers stated that the 1400 capacity they mentioned was a standing room figure.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...l#incart_river Mlive article with a slideshow of the theater on it's opening night. Really cool bar area.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...l#incart_river Mlive article with a slideshow of the theater on it's opening night. Really cool bar area.
    So I went to this show and I was completely impressed with the venue. If what is true about the Majestic booking here and with the Crofoot booking at the Masonic, I would be very afraid if I was other venues. This venue is a hybrid between the Magic Stick and the Majestic theatre [[size wise), not too big and not too small. While I cannot completely agree with the interior design, an old industrial feel mixed with a new industrial feel. All in all the place was great, the sound was amazing, the stage itself was nicely restored and the bar was large enough to accompany a 500+ turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    So I went to this show and I was completely impressed with the venue. If what is true about the Majestic booking here and with the Crofoot booking at the Masonic, I would be very afraid if I was other venues. This venue is a hybrid between the Magic Stick and the Majestic theatre [[size wise), not too big and not too small. While I cannot completely agree with the interior design, an old industrial feel mixed with a new industrial feel. All in all the place was great, the sound was amazing, the stage itself was nicely restored and the bar was large enough to accompany a 500+ turnout.
    Poster on that link said it was eight bucks for a 12 ounce beer. Is that true? That'd be pretty ridiculous. Nonetheless, excited about seeing the venue. Sounds great.

Yes, it was that expensive, and the beer was Budweiser [[no, I didn't attend). Guess they didn't want a rowdy crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Poster on that link said it was eight bucks for a 12 ounce beer. Is that true? That'd be pretty ridiculous. Nonetheless, excited about seeing the venue. Sounds great.
    Thats about on par for Fillmore/Fox/ROMT/Crofoot. Majestic is a little cheaper, but not much. I don't really drink as shows anymore as I've realized how terribly uneconomic it is. This new venue really interests me and I hope they bring in someone I'd like to see soon here.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Since these people didn't have public subsidies to renovate their building with... they've got to recoup their outlay in money somehow, as well as pay their utility bills...

Since these people didn't have public subsidies to renovate their building with... they've got to recoup their outlay in money somehow, as well as pay their utility bills...
    Also note that many venues who sell Budwesier products exclusively are sponsored by Budwesier and carry their beers exclusively at slightly higher prices. Its a pretty cool racket they have going where consumers pay more money for crap beer

Yet that doesn't stop the King of all public subsidies, Mike Ilitch, from gouging patrons at his establishments for crappy beer, pizza, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Also note that many venues who sell Budwesier products exclusively are sponsored by Budwesier and carry their beers exclusively at slightly higher prices. Its a pretty cool racket they have going where consumers pay more money for crap beer
    Didn't engage in any drinking that night, but yes the rumors are true, the beers were 8$. This is probably due to the fact that the folks at the Majestic Theatre are handling the booking duties for the Garden Theatre. With that being said since Budweiser has an exclusivity contract with Budweiser, it would make sense as to why they were selling only Budweiser products.

Regardless the venue is amazing and I can only hope for lower drink prices moving forward.

Remember this was only their first show!

I went to an opening party there last night. The space is great; a sort of mini-Orchestra Hall/Max Fisher. It certainly ups the venue game in Midtown/Downtown.

Everything was top-notch, the crowd, food, music, amenities [[don't know about drinks, as I do pop only).

Of note was the excellent sound. Several of us noticed how - even with the very high ceilings, our crowded cocktail conversations didn't echo, nor did we have to yell. There were huge baffling panels on the walls of the theatre, which has a very sharp mezzanine section.

George Stewart - an older African-American man and visionary who seems to be from the seriously old, hard work, nose to the grindstone school - was a low-key, gracious, southern gentlemanly presence. He owns the block, and the entities within lease from him [[Great Lakes Coffee, Midtown Inc., and Kresge).

The theatre will have a bistro, which we walked through, though it's not open yet; looks like it'll be nice place.

Look forward to more goings on there. Here's a link to a ModelD article from last year: http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...nblock912.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Didn't engage in any drinking that night, but yes the rumors are true, the beers were 8$. This is probably due to the fact that the folks at the Majestic Theatre are handling the booking duties for the Garden Theatre. With that being said since Budweiser has an exclusivity contract with Budweiser, it would make sense as to why they were selling only Budweiser products.

Regardless the venue is amazing and I can only hope for lower drink prices moving forward.

Remember this was only their first show!
    I hope they are able to break from the Budwesier contract one day, as a variety of beer, regardless of price, is super attractive to a beer-only drinker such as myself. I am REAL glad to hear that this place is absolutely on point though, definitely makes that area of Midtown something to be envied by the whole region

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast