Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Did anyone see the 60 Minutes piece on Detroit?

Not the one that aired two days ago... The one that aired 40 years ago which is eerily similar to the one that aired two days ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_1...it-corruption/

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Not the one that aired two days ago... The one that aired 40 years ago which is eerily similar to the one that aired two days ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_1...it-corruption/
    I did. It was too short.

60 minutes only cover the negative enviroment of Detroit not the positive effects.

Thanks for posting the link. While we intuitively know that things were similar back then, seeing it vividly makes you wonder how we have let 38 years pass by and probably 800,000 people leave Detroit without making much progress.

Yes, I know that there has been some great progress Downtown and in Midtown, but the situation in the neighborhoods is generally the same as it was in 1976, only worse.

Why not do a full 60 minutes episode on Detroit, with the first half about the horrible bad terrible things, and the second half about what many refer to as the revival of Detroit? It'd be a much better way to approach the topic, considering not everything is bad, but not everything is good either.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Thanks for posting the link. While we intuitively know that things were similar back then, seeing it vividly makes you wonder how we have let 38 years pass by and probably 800,000 people leave Detroit without making much progress.

Yes, I know that there has been some great progress Downtown and in Midtown, but the situation in the neighborhoods is generally the same as it was in 1976, only worse.
    I'm pretty struck by how it's literally the exact same issue. It's long been noted that cities with low rates of home ownership are more stable with better economies than cities with higher rates... Especially true for former industrial centers like Detroit and cities of similar plight in the Midwest.

I'd like to see an expose` on 60 Minutes about 60 Minutes and how many stories they've fucked up, or have mislead folks.

I'm sure it would take longer than 60 Minutes . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post

Relative to 1976, downtown is worse as well.

Many of the movies houses/theatres that were open in 1976 have closed, the retail that was downtown in 1976 is gone [[both Hudson's and Crowley's have been shuttered and demolished), more buildings/skyscrapers have been abandoned/demolished since 1976 [[the area behind the Fox Theatre is just one huge surface lot, and all the high rise apartments that were in the lower Cass Corridor have been abandoned and demolished), not to mention Detroit lost ALL of its bank headquarters since 1976.

Wonder whatever happened to Ray Rickman.

It looks like he served as a state representative in Rhode Island and now runs a consulting firm.

http://www.pbn.com/Ray-Rickman-to-Le...ng-Tour-,66416