Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit stories that should be movies

Detroit has such a long history for a US city. What bit of Detroit history do you think would make a good movie?

My choice: Pontiac's rebellion

Inspired by Gameguy's question

"Attack Of The City Council"

"Kwame Saved my City" - Kwame saves Detroit from a zombie takeover after water from the Detroit River is used for a fog machine at a rave, turning all partygoers into mindless zombies.

Default Invitation

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Detroit has such a long history for a US city. What bit of Detroit history do you think would make a good movie?

My choice: Pontiac's rebellion

Inspired by Gameguy's question
    I would like for you all, next time you're at the Detroit Public Library. Go to the Burton Collection and read my family's story in a journal form. It's hard cover, the title is "The Family Journal, The McLinns, the McLains and the Wrights". You may also want to look up documents donated pertaining to Detroit's black bottom neighborhood and it's entertainers. Ask for "McLinn" collection

One last thing. When I made those donations, the librarian entered the donations into a paper ledger [[pen and paper) and I was shocked. They don't have an electronic entry. It's all on paper.
    This is a shame in this day and age that the library doesn't have the resources/funds to bring their entry of books and collections into the 21st century.
    I suggested to a Freep writer that a kickstarter fund be started and sent the suggestion to the Directors....haven't heard back from them.

"Attack of the 50 Foot Pile of Debt"

"Blight Club"

"Dirty Kwame"

I wish they'd make a good movie about the Purples. Base it off "The Purples" by W.K. Berger or "Whiskey River" by Loren Estleman. I'd watch that.

Alternatively, I've long been fascinated by the story of Henderson "Ben" Turpin, D.P.D.

What about "Island Leasing for Dummies" scripted by the Detroit City Council?

A documentary on the halfass abusive police in this town.

From the Big Four to STRESS to Gang/Game Squad.

Just a 70 year expose on the long tradition of hassling people.

I've always thought that the sort of short but epic historic arc of Jerry Cavanagh and his administration would make an interesting movie, or at least a very good non-fiction book.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I wish they'd make a good movie about the Purples. Base it off "The Purples" by W.K. Berger or "Whiskey River" by Loren Estleman. I'd watch that.

Alternatively, I've long been fascinated by the story of Henderson "Ben" Turpin, D.P.D.

couldn't help it

I don't understand how the Purple Gang and Detroit always gets ignored in prohibition discussions or old gangster movies. I'm a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire and Detroit has been mentioned once in all of its seasons. If I remember correctly most of the liquor that came in the country came through Detroit.

Plus according to a Detroit News article [[archive) rumor has it that the Purple Gang was responsible for the St.Valentines Day massacre as a warning to Al Capone who wanted a piece of their pie here in Detroit . Maybe we should email HBO the story so they can write it in the script lol

Ray1936, The Motorcycle Years
    Last edited by Downriviera; October-15-13 at 07:57 PM.

Shaggy2Dope and Violent J's Adventures at Christo Rey High

How about some of these:
    http://vimeo.com/18484174

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I don't understand how the Purple Gang and Detroit always gets ignored in prohibition discussions or old gangster movies. I'm a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire and Detroit has been mentioned once in all of its seasons. If I remember correctly most of the liquor that came in the country came through Detroit.
    And just to throw something else in that mix, my uncle was in the Fbi during the days of prohibition and was murdered in Detroit. I heard that story a million times as a child.

Yes, Ben Turpin was a legendary cop.

From the Detroit Free Press, December 1980:

Name:  Ben Turpin #1.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  31.8 KB
    Name:  Ben Turpin #2.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  70.5 KB

I would love to see a movie not just a documentary about Sixto Rodriquez

Thanks for that article, Marsha! Great stuff. Another thing about Turpin was that he was an absolute baseball nut. I imagine any fast-talking person would try to get an angry Turpin onto the subject of baseball, or give up some tickets, to avoid a beating.

I want to make a movie about Gilda Radner.

"I don't understand how the Purple Gang and Detroit always gets ignored in prohibition discussions or old gangster movies."

My understanding is that the Purple Gang, and the legacy, is not very welcomed amongst the Jewish community for a ton of reasons.

I think the start of the labor movement with emphasis on Walter Reuther [[Jimmy Hoffa's already been done) would be good, especially with the opposition from Henry Ford leading up the the action climax of the Battle of the Overpass.

With the type of LOVE for Ford in this town .... good luck getting that one made ....

I think that the story of Dr. Ossian Sweet and the "incident" and trial that followed would make a good movie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast