Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Masonic Temple To Masonic Lofts? Masonic Suites?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...n-possible.php Could this be true? If so, the arena will more likely than not stay open, but imagine living upstairs from the world famous Masonic...

Could be awesome.

I went to Cass Tech around the turn of the millennium.

It's always been amazing to me that area isn't popping.*

*Well not so amazing. Rapid transit along Grand River would do wonders. Every development/project is just beating our dicks until real mass transit is developed.

The Masonic Temple... for those who have ever taken the tour... is a very very complex building... with 7 main floors and 7 mezzanines off of those 7 main floors. And parts of the building are still unfinished from the 1920s [[such as the theatre on the top floors).

The lodges are exceptionally beautiful, as are the theatre and ballroom spaces. And then there's the vast drill hall above the Masonic Temple Theatre... just huge.

This building is still a gem... and hopefully will remain one.

I've taken the tour and photographed several weddings there, I'm having a hard time picturing a loft conversion unless they are talking about areas that I haven't seen yet. just fix the hotel next door, kill two birds with one stone.

I think it would be an odd building for residential. Not opposed to it, but there are so many spaces within that should remain for public use [[and can produce revenue). I would like to see it's theatres and meeting spaces remain available for public use [[and they should be booked more regularly, for sure). A boutique hotel might be a good use for part of it, I think. And with the area blooming into an entertainment district [[assuming parts beyond the arena materialize), there should be foot traffic to support a restaurant or two and few specialty shops on the ground floor. I also think turning some space into artist lofts could utilize some of the weirder space in a functional way. I love the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria, VA. And something like that would bring daytime foot traffic, when the theatres and hotel aren't hopping.

http://www.torpedofactory.org/

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I've taken the tour and photographed several weddings there, I'm having a hard time picturing a loft conversion unless they are talking about areas that I haven't seen yet. just fix the hotel next door, kill two birds with one stone.
    I would love to see the Masonic aspect of the building saved. Regardless, whatever it takes to make sure this building stays open and available, I'm all for it. It already seems like they are doing infinitely better now that they have a new venue management company, I see events popping up left and right for the Masonic.

My friend just got married there two weeks ago, gorgeous building that needs some TLC. And I'll echo previous sentiments; fix up the abandoned building next door and it'll improve the area greatly.