Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Ron_saad Guest

Default Trailer Park and Foot of Alter Road

Here we go again.

Perhaps. I remember in the 80s Alter ended at that old dirt road that used to go straight through in to Grosse Pointe Park. In either '90, or '91 it was cut off and bridged southwest into the trailer park which has in recent years been converted into a nice fishing spot-I haven't been there since Summer '04, so I have no idea how it is now.

scraped clean years ago.

It went the way of the Naval Hospital.... long gone...

Go to google maps and type this in.

14702 Riverside Blvd Detroit, MI

Heres video from the park before it was scraped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0Lz...e=channel_page

Quote Originally Posted by Dfd View Post
    Go to google maps and type this in.

14702 Riverside Blvd Detroit, MI
    Also try the bird's eye view on maps.live.com.

I always heard that the family that owned the GP News owned the trailer park, that's why you never read about it in the paper. Don't know if that is true or not. That bait shop/boat shop across the street from the Trailer Park was an interesting place to sit and watch the antics.

A lot of people refer to 8 mile as being a dividing line between rich and poor, but a better example is Alter Road. I swear it seems that you can have an overcast day in Detroit, but cross Alter and the sun starts shining.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I always heard that the family that owned the GP News owned the trailer park.
    Hmm. That is pretty interesting, Im going to ask around about that. Hahaha ! Nice bit of dirty laundry there.

Butch Edgar, who owend the trailer park, did own the gp news. It was a nice place to live. I had a trailer there. Lots of nice people resided there.

And don't forget....

Make a right turn and another right onto ASHLE'S HILL!

Flew my [[mother's) car off there so many times I broke the frame rail... rofl

The Free Press ran a story on the trailer park when they first starting clearing it away. The made it sound like an oasis in the middle of the big city.....a modest, quiet waterfront community. Thats not how one typically describes a mobile home park.They interviewed a few residents and detailed their sadness and concerns about having to leave. Seems like a wate to clear it out with no immediate plans for the site.

When I was stationed at Coast Guard Base Detroit, the XO and his family lived in the trailer park along with a couple of the crew. The guy later became super-rich as owner of the Dale Carnegie franchise for SE MIchigan, which is supposed to be the biggest one in the world.
    Last edited by George Cassidy; August-10-12 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
    And don't forget....

Make a right turn and another right onto ASHLE'S HILL!

Flew my [[mother's) car off there so many times I broke the frame rail... rofl
    I thought it was the Ashland Hill? Maybe I'm wrong.

If you look at the maps.live.com version, the house west of the canal is still standing. on google maps, it's gone. looked like it might have been a very nice place once. any idea whose it was?

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    It's the Ashland Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    It's the Ashland Bump
    Many a suspension has met its demise going over the bump!

it is ashland bump.

Thanks, lots of years have gone by since I went over the Ashland "bump".

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    We always called it the Ashland Bump in the 60's/70's; took my husband[[then fiance) over it in his 72 Torino. Didn't tell him where we going, just told him to speed up. And he did.