Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question for contractors in Detroit

In November 2011, I got a lot of estimates for home improvements. Some I had done and others I filed. Decided to get one project done this fall and the company that originally quoted @2900 now wants $4200. That seems a bit extreme of an increase. Am I being cheap?

I also notice that many local area contractors don't want to work in Detroit. My money is as green as GPP, so what gives? I looked for other quotes and say Detroit, they say they are booked.

Actually I want two projects done. Might have a bite for re-roofing my garage. I shouldn't have to to beg for quotes. I don't waste peoples time but just want these two things done.

My home is in serious mint condition for 107 yrs old. I need my garage re-roofed and I want new fencing.

Oops forgot, I need a new water heater. Try to buy local, got a good price and I asked the price for delivery. $10 dollars but only if they install, that's $150. I guess I am just in sticker shock. We can install ourselves and got a local with a truck to pick up. This all just seems too complicated.

I don't think any contractor would honor a quote from 2 years ago. Back then, most were begging for work. Now, my contractor friends are pretty busy, so then have to pick and choose their projects. So, if you want something done, it will either be more expensive, or it will take more time to get to the job.

$150 is in the ballpark for getting a hot water heater installed. They are relatively easy to install, but a pain to drain and move out of a basement or tight spaces.

Maybe they've got full order books so they're rewarding the customers that didn't give them work when they needed it, with a premium now they don't need it. Or maybe they've heard of the things that go bump to parked vehicles outside your house and decided they needed to add an extra in the quote for insurance.
    Last edited by coracle; October-12-13 at 12:21 PM.

I would encourage you not to take the quote personally. Prices fluctuate. Maybe their methodology for bidding changed. Maybe their costs went up. Maybe the scope of the work changed. Maybe they're busier, either from year to year or season to season -- right now is "oh shit I need a new roof before the winter" season.

The fact of the matter is, a quote is just a slice in time. It's a formal way of saying: "this is the price at which I think I will make an appropriate amount of money on that job, if I were to do it now." But for any given job, there's multiple ways of reaching that estimate, and usually every time you run the numbers you will come up with a different amount.

As far as getting work done in Detroit goes: I've never worked with these people, and I have no idea about their prices or their quality, but they're a roofing company based in north corktown: http://www.bright-roofing.com/

There is often a huge fluctuation in the costs of materials. A few years ago, there was a drywall shortage and prices for that almost tripled over a month's time in some areas. Products made from various chemical products are also prone to broad price fluctuations, as are products made from various metals.

When the construction industry slows, a lot of firms will cut prices to the bone just to keep their employees working, many of those firms end up making little or no profit during those times

A lot of contractors don't like working in Detroit because of theft. Stuff gets stolen out of their trucks parked in the street in broad daylight.

I am not in construction myself, but have had to use them many times for business projects. A very large part of the quote is labor; if they have no other jobs lined up, the labor will be relatively cheap. If they're busy, they're gonna rob you blind. If someone is giving you a higher price to work in Detroit, I'd find a young, eager contractor looking to crack into the Detroit market. If someone is making money working in the burbs, they might not even think about coming into the city. I've worked in catering for years, and I have made a decision to no longer do weddings in any way, shape, or form. The substantial money to be made does not warrant the even more substantial grief to be had. I can see old-time contractors having been burned in the city too many times [[less than credit-worthy clients, absurd city regulations, lack of stores to purchase supplies, etc) and just having written it off. Not justifying it, but I can understand. So go for a contractor not old enough to be jaded yet.

Think I have my stuff lined up now. my garage and my "creative" off street parking and fencing. I am a cash customer and want what I pay for. I rarely do those big projects and this will be our last. Our home was deeded to us because my mister, that's what I called him, now deceased, figured we would husband the property well. He was right and I do love my home.

My final homage to the property will be spring when we paint trim. These old homes deserve our TLC

Found someone to do some transport of stuff. So I am feeling pretty good.

Thanks for thought and input. Honestly, I love this old beast of a house.