Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Disquiet for the Nerd's Camp? Dillon to Step Down Nov. 1

Michigan State Treasurer Andy Dillon of Redford just announced he is stepping down Nov. 1 having been beset by personal problems according to Crain's.

I know he has been involved in the State EFM takeover but can't imagine this move affects anything on that front.

It could affect Snyder's re-election chances as the bi-partisanship appearance of having a prominent Democrat in his administration has helped his moderate [I'm not a TEA party nut] image.

In the past year, Dillon spent time in a rehab center for his alcohol problems and was accused by his ex-wife of a drunken assault. The Wayne County prosecutor declined to press assault charges.
    Commendable timing however, on Friday afternoon of a week dominated by the Kilpatrick and Ferguson sentencings.

Good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me.
    I'm not a lover of either Mr. Dillon or Mr. Snyder [[as most of you know, I am a wee bit of Tea Party type), but honestly, I can't imagine Andy Dillon engendering such hate. He's no hyper-partisan ideologue [[like me) who would upset the other side severely. He's a Jim Blanchard, not a Geoffrey Feiger. Please enlighten me [[there could very well be something I'm unaware of).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm not a lover of either Mr. Dillon or Mr. Snyder [[as most of you know, I am a wee bit of Tea Party type), but honestly, I can't imagine Andy Dillon engendering such hate. He's no hyper-partisan ideologue [[like me) who would upset the other side severely. He's a Jim Blanchard, not a Geoffrey Feiger. Please enlighten me [[there could very well be something I'm unaware of).
    Believe it or not, "craven neoliberal squish" is, in fact, a political ideology, and like any other ideology it has both ideologues and detractors.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Even though I'm left leaning to the core, I've never liked Dillon. I especially started disliking him more when his personal life was all up in the news. While he wasn't particularly bad, he has always seemed like a run-of-the-mill, Michigan politician. And to me, that is not a good thing.

I did always like Dillon. He was liberal on social justice issues but could not and would not abandon a pro-life position. He married very badly it appears because his wife turned out to be pretty low-life. She had that affair with the editorial writer for the Detroit News last year, sought a PPO against him and splashed that all over the paper, too. He was suspended. She's a train wreck, I guess. And his son got into trouble after that. Overall, Dillon was into governing. He worked to bring both sides of the aisle together when he was in the legislature. He wasn't a "my way or no-way' sort of leader.