Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Time Warp

Default Time Warp

Lowell's thread on the Claridge reno got me to thinking. Can you imagine if you went into a coma 5 or 10 years ago, then woke up today? Downtown would seem unbelievably changed. I hope 5 to 10 from now, the changes have continued. I remember visiting family on vacation from New York, and seemingly being the only one walking around downtown during the day. No more...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Lowell's thread on the Claridge reno got me to thinking. Can you imagine if you went into a coma 5 or 10 years ago, then woke up today? Downtown would seem unbelievably changed. I hope 5 to 10 from now, the changes have continued. I remember visiting family on vacation from New York, and seemingly being the only one walking around downtown during the day. No more...
    Downtown hasn't progressed that much in the grand scheme of things [[it just seems that way because it was at absolute rock bottom). It's nowhere near being a functional CBD when compared to other major cities, let along comparable to what it was in the 1940s-1970s.

If someone went into a coma in say, 1973, and woke up today, they would want to know "What the hell happened to my city?"

I realize that downtown isn't "fixed" yet, but, really, it used to be a ghost town. In addition to specific renovations and developments, there is just pulse downtown now. I feel it everytime I'm out.

ok Mickey, I am confused are you in NY or back in the D.

Been back 2+ years now.

I agree. Downtown in the 70's was booming. I remember the streets & sidewalks were as busy as the streets in the Loop, Chicago or Manhattan. And on a regular day. No exaggeration. Sidewalks were a mad house. If someone from that era woke up from a coma, they'd ask what happened? Where'd everyone go?

Mikey has a valid point though, 5-10 years ago downtown was EMPTY every day of the week, barring any sporting events. Now? Its not like it was at one point, but there are actual humans around the downtown walking places.